Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen\Living Room Layout Change

Options
  • 20-03-2014 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Looking for some general tips and ballpark for changing the layout of a living room and kitchen so that the dining area (now in living room) would be part of kitchen (which is currently quite small). Wall between living room and kitchen is load-bearing, but what would be knocked is quite small.

Also have zero experience in this area so want to make sure I get the right type of firm for this - without giving recommends, how would you check quality etc.?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I am in the process of getting costs for a similar job at the moment - removal of load bearing wall between dining room & kitchen, retiling kitchen floor, velux window in roof over sink, new kitchen being installed, and also installation of pocket doors between dining room and sitting room. Also fitting of two vertical rads which need to be moved as the wall they are currently hanging on is being taken down. I have been quoted just over €9k at the moment, which I think is complete lunacy so hoping to get it down to under €6.5k before I agree with builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Arciphel wrote: »
    I am in the process of getting costs for a similar job at the moment - removal of load bearing wall between dining room & kitchen, retiling kitchen floor, velux window in roof over sink, new kitchen being installed, and also installation of pocket doors between dining room and sitting room. Also fitting of two vertical rads which need to be moved as the wall they are currently hanging on is being taken down. I have been quoted just over €9k at the moment, which I think is complete lunacy so hoping to get it down to under €6.5k before I agree with builder.
    6.5k will cost just a kitchen and tiling. removing wall it self can cost 1-2k
    velux + fitted 500. And the new building reg., You need get competent engineer, builder etc. and all plumbing , electrics etc. 9k sound good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

The costs below I mention don't include the kitchen, that is costing another €5 1/2K, this is just for the building works. Remvong the wall, reinsulating the external walls with Kingspan, Velux window, re-tiling floors, repainting (tiles & paint supplied by me at my cost) and also doesn't include the engineer's cert for the RSJ.

Advertisement