Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you walk to Aldi in East Wall Street in Dublin from the 02?

Options
  • 20-03-2014 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

If not, what other transport can you use?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Yep, it's walkable. Probably around a 10 - 15min walk I'd reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nelly1234

Anyone know the fastest route tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

As Billy Connolly once said "I don't think you can get there from here".
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Nelly1234 wrote: »
    Anyone know the fastest route tho?

The best way to go is via East Wall Rd. When you leave the O2, turn left onto East Wall Rd. You'll be heading away from the river and towards the entrance to Dublin Port & the port tunnel. At the traffic lights, turn left and continue on up East Wall Road. Aldi will be on the right, about a 10 minute walk up. You'll be on a busy main road, the whole way, with lots of traffic around. It will be well lit, if you are doing the walk after dark.

You could possibly save a couple of minutes by walking back up the Luas tracks to Mayor St and cutting across Sherriff St & East Road, to get to East Wall Rd. That could be a dodgy way to go, as the area doesn't have the best of reputations. That route is also quite poorly lit compared to walking the main road. The near permanent roadworks in the area also means that having proper foot paths to walk on, can be a bit hit and miss.

I'd stick with going the main East Wall Rd route. Have a look at it on Google Maps. The O2 is clearly marked and the Aldi is near the Shell station on East Wall Rd. The walking difference between the two routes wouldn't be more than a couple of minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nelly1234

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The best way to go is via East Wall Rd. When you leave the O2, turn left onto East Wall Rd. You'll be heading away from the river and towards the entrance to Dublin Port & the port tunnel. At the traffic lights, turn left and continue on up East Wall Road. Aldi will be on the right, about a 10 minute walk up. You'll be on a busy main road, the whole way, with lots of traffic around. It will be well lit, if you are doing the walk after dark.

You could possibly save a couple of minutes by walking back up the Luas tracks to Mayor St and cutting across Sherriff St & East Road, to get to East Wall Rd. That could be a dodgy way to go, as the area doesn't have the best of reputations. That route is also quite poorly lit compared to walking the main road. The near permanent roadworks in the area also means that having proper foot paths to walk on can be a bit hit and miss.

I'd stick with going the main East Wall Rd route. Have a look at it on Google Maps. The O2 is clearly marked and the Aldi is near the Shell station on East Wall Rd. The walking difference between the two routes wouldn't be more than a couple of minutes.

Thanks a mill I will give this a try so!:)

No probs. Bring me back a bottle of that lovely red Montepulciano that they have on sale for a tenner. :D

Btw, if it just a supermarket that you want and it doesn't have to be Aldi, there are a couple of them just a couple of stops up the Luas line. The Luas stops right in front of the O2. Get off at Mayor Sq and there will be a Marks & Spencers on your left. It is a food shop mainly, but they do have some other sundry items. There is a large Eurospar (or maybe it's a Centra, I forget which) there too. It would be two minutes on the Luas, or a 15 minute walk. I think the M&S closes at 8pm and the Eurospar at 10. That is where I would go, if I was at the O2 or the Gibson Hotel & I needed to pick up a few bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

No probs. Bring me back a bottle of that lovely red Montepulciano that they have on sale for a tenner. :D

Btw, if it just a supermarket that you want and it doesn't have to be Aldi, there are a couple of them just a couple of stops up the Luas line. The Luas stops right in front of the O2. Get off at Mayor Sq and there will be a Marks & Spencers on your left. It is a food shop mainly, but they do have some other sundry items. There is a large Eurospar (or maybe it's a Centra, I forget which) there too. It would be two minutes on the Luas, or a 15 minute walk. I think the M&S closes at 8pm and the Eurospar at 10. That is where I would go, if I was at the O2 or the Gibson Hotel & I needed to pick up a few bits and pieces.

There's also a Mace with a broader selection than M&S and an offie with occasional promos. But I wouldn't go to any of them to do my weekly shopping.

Neither would I. Aldi would be far cheaper over all, but if you are buying bulky or heavy things like gallons of milk or cases of beer, it is handy to be able to take the Luas "home" afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

You could possibly save a couple of minutes by walking back up the Luas tracks to Mayor St and cutting across Sherriff St & East Road, to get to East Wall Rd. That could be a dodgy way to go, as the area doesn't have the best of reputations. That route is also quite poorly lit compared to walking the main road. The near permanent roadworks in the area also means that having proper foot paths to walk on, can be a bit hit and miss.

Do Mayor street, Sheriff street and east road have a bad reputation? Any more details on this please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 fatedtopretend

Do Mayor street, Sheriff street and east road have a bad reputation? Any more details on this please?

Mayor Street is fine to walk around. The Luas runs along there and it's safe.
    As is East Road, it's generally quiet in the evenings with people travelling home from work and walking back from the Luas stop at Spencer Dock.

Sherriff Street is mosly fine too IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The area is mostly quiet. It used to have a reputation for being rough. Traffic can be very heavy around The 02, East Wall Road, East Link Bridge and the port.
    Nelly1234 wrote: »
    If not, what other transport can you use?

Thanks in advance
    It's a little bit more than 1km. Note it is East Wall Road. Sticking to East Wall Road si the quickest.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=East+Wall+Road%2FR131&daddr=East+Wall+Road%2FR131&hl=en&ll=53.352729,-6.230493&spn=0.01063,0.030556&sll=53.349232,-6.226737&sspn=0.005316,0.015278&geocode=FV4HLgMdffug_w%3BFbopLgMdyeWg_w&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=16&t=m&z=15

Advertisement