Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide

Options
  • 20-03-2014 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Maybe it is just me but has anyone else found the amount of suicides taking place in the county for the last 12-18 mths to be phenomenal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

A very high % of suicides there is drink involved . You can get beer made without using Hops as there is something in hops that makes people feel low .
    People drink far too much and think it is acceptable to do so and then expect the rest of us to be overjoyed when they give it up .
    If you listen to the radio or TV there is a lot of bad news redundancies, extra expense like 1 % levy on insurance . Being bombarded with negativity has an effect on people and trip them over the edge . If you listen to peoples conversations in general they can be unnecessarily negative and to some vulnerable people this can be bad for them . Joe Duffy on the Liveline programme gives me the ire people are so negative and complaining . I turn on Lyric if I am stressed while I am working
    I have read a suicide note and the person was very calm about it and thought they were doing the right thing and was aware of the consequences for the people left behind .
    The education system has a lot to blame as it measures failure rather than measuring what people know .
    Some people that commit suicide have been battling depression for years and then throw in the towel.
    I have not noticed an increase in suicides . The last two funerals I was at one Lady was 96 and worked cleaning holiday homes into her 80,s . Another guy was 86 and was a bad alcoholic until he was 50 gave up the drink got married and had three children who seem very stable to me . Another guy died of a massive heart attack doing something he enjoyed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

racso1975 wrote: »
    Maybe it is just me but has anyone else found the amount of suicides taking place in the county for the last 12-18 mths to be phenomenal

I just said the same thing yo my wife in the last year i know 3people that have died from suicide. I just hope people look for help before things get too bad for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dublinsd

Im not suprised! . Its a discusting country full of spin and asshole bankers.
    The country is full of scum. All the intelligent ones have left. All thats here is stupid people that believe the nonsence that the government and RTE put out on a daily basis.
    People have not even blinked as the bankers have ruined this land.
    I myself am unemployed. I have a degree in engineering which is worth **** all and now am left with no other option. I am 40 and have tried everything from bouncing to academics.The employers only want drones!!! Just com[pleted an intership at 40...turned out it was a load of bollox! After coming from a difficult few years of study, I was told by social welfare people on Pearse street that I should do nanother ****in course in l;ookin after the elderly.....they dont have a clue!!!!!!! All the figures and stats we here are bull****!!!!! **** Ireland! **** the people, the politicians, the bankers, the civil servants. The local doc told me the other day that 2 in 5 people are on antidepressants...joke!!!!
    We are deprived of real medicines...cannibis oils and given the **** they produce with **** all results. The health and water systems are a ****in joke.
    Modern day slavery discuised as something else.
    One world order is all these scumbags care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Cant find any figures for 2013 but between 2007-2012 the rate for Carlow was 13 per 100,000. So thats about 5 per year. A lot less than i was expecting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Carlow has always been fairly bad for young male suicides. A lot of groups here for support but nobody seems to know about them.

Carlow needs a Mens Shed, if it doesn't have one already

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Need help? Ireland:
    Samaritans

SMS: 087 260 9090
    Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
    Languages: English

Get Help
    If You are Feeling Suicidal – Suicide Chat and Helplines
    Your family and friends would rush to help you if you were drowning or in an accident, so tell them now if your life is in danger from suicide.

If you are feeling suicidal, there are many people who will gladly help you if you let them know you have a problem.

If you feel like talking to someone outside of your family and friends, there are many services available to help you. If you are not ready to talk to anyone but are looking for strategies to help you cope right now, see this help page.

Suicide Chat Lines

Ireland

Samaritans 18 50 60 90 90
    1 life Freephone (24hrs) 1800 247 100 or text the word HELP to 51444

Northern Ireland

Samaritans 08 457 90 90 90

Hospitals
    You can call the emergency department of any hospital.

If you do not have the number, call directory enquiries and the operator will give you the number of your nearest emergency department.

GPs, Counsellors, Psychiatrists or Psychologists
    You can also call your local doctor, or you psychologist or psychiatrist if you have one. They often have an emergency number for out of hours emergencies.

Other Local Services and Support
    See the links to the right for local services that are available in your area or county.

Console are a support group for those who have lost a loved one through suicide. They provide support through counselling and support groups in different parts of Ireland. Check the Console website for details for your local area.

If you run a support service in Ireland or Northern Ireland and would like to add it to this list, please email us at – editor at suicideprevention.ie

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

brianblaze wrote: »
    Carlow has always been fairly bad for young male suicides. A lot of groups here for support but nobody seems to know about them.

Carlow needs a Mens Shed, if it doesn't have one already

There are 4 in the county: Carlow, Bagenalstown, Leighlin & Tullow.
    http://menssheds.ie/find-a-shed-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 34 VixToons

is there an equivalent for women??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Open to correction but I think I recall at one point Carlow had the highest rate of suicide in the country.

Agree with brianblaze, groups need more awareness around the county. I wasn't aware there were men sheds locally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement