Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone like classical music?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Fo those that like their Classical Contemporary and fresh - I recommend Bernard Clarke's show on Lyric, Nova - it is about the polar opposite of "Marty Whelan's 100 tunes You Can Whistle to in the Morning".

Always interesting, not always to your taste, and expertly put together by a broadcaster that really knows what he is talking about (another opposite to Marty) - Bernard Clarke has won several European broatcasting awards for the show and is always pushing the envelope of experimental and contemporary. In my view he is the John Peel of the classical radio world.

Here is the current project for tonights show.

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/nova/

hearSpace

hearSpace is a new interactive piece of radio art composed for and through Irish radio by Karen Power. On March 23rd at 9pm, RTÉ lyric fm will act as a live conduit, through which Karen Power will compose and perform a new composition for radio based on the idea of exploring the sounds of a particular time, place and memory. We want you to be part of this exciting new work.

Update from Karen Power

Since issuing the public call I have been receiving the most wonderful audio snapshots from near and far. The variety of sounds in these recordings is truly stunning and shows just how carefully people are listening and enjoying their aural surroundings. Some examples of what is coming in are: Dublin street sounds at dusk, birds up a chimney in Tuam, an intimate quiet moment in someones kitchen, a recording made backstage at a Michigan concert in the US, numerous rivers around Ireland and 'empty spaces'. These sounds play an important role in my composition process as each recording informs how I think about sound space and our interaction with it. Thank you everybody for your beautiful contributions. I would love to keep this call open, but for hearSpace submission will close on the morning of the broadcast, March 23rd @ 10am local time. If you haven't yet submitted and are planning to then please ensure that you upload by this date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

http://youtu.be/B8qg_0P9L6c

I really like this one enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Verve and The Rolling Stones composed this piece.

Qualifies as Classical in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Muise... wrote: »
    Und ich liebe dich so! My last recommendation: Rachmaninov's All Night Vigil - choral music that makes every hair on my body stand to attention.

e.g. the mindblowing chord in the middle of this:

Thank you so much for sharing this. Incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Procofiev's Romeo and Juliet is really excellent, also, Pagliachi by Leoncavallo, and Gustav Mahler's Symphony number 3 in D minor.
    My Spelling of the composers names may be incorrect. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Was going to post Shostakovich's Waltz #2 and Tchaikovstky's Flowers.

This is also a good 'un.

Masquarade Waltz Katchaturian.

Also Mozart's Rondo Alla Turka. And I went to the NCH a couple of times to hear Mozart's Horn Concerto #4. Fantastico to hear it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Lock Knife

Been listening to this all week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I find classical music great for relaxing and studying to (I'm unable to work in complete silence).

I went through a phase in the nineties of listening almost exclusively to classical, so if the Classic 9 at 11 on Saturday mornings on Today FM is from 1996 or 1997 I'm stumped as to the year! :o

Here are a couple of my (current) favourites:

Handel's Minuet from Berenice

A.Dvořák Three Slavonic Rhapsodies Op.45, No.1 in D major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

This thread just reminded me when I was off for an extended period last year. I got so sick of the internet, TV and mindless commercial radio that I remember turning the dial on the radio one day and unintentionally stopping at Lyric FM (a station I never previously listened to as I wouldn't have classified myself as a classical fan) and just found the classical music so relaxing that I started tuning in regularly. Sometimes, it almost felt therapeutic - just sitting there in a comfy armchair, lights dimmed and the orchestral music taking over the room - something really appealing and mood enhancing about it in a way rock, pop or other music can't replicate.

Now that I'm back in the rat race, I must remember to taking time out in the evening for half an hour to chill out (literally) to it - a great way of unwinding!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gurl88

I enjoy a very wide range of music genres, but classical music is definitely one of my favourites, I'm a self-acclaimed band geek. There is so much beautiful music to choose from, but just two good ones in my opinion:

Adagio in G Minor (Albinoni)

Gnossienne No. 1, 2, 3 (Erik Satie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Advertisement