Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An awful decision to make

• 20-03-2014 6:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Put yourself in my shoes:
    I'm looking at buying one of the following two bikes for commuting maybe 2-3 days a week, a distance of 10km each way, plus expeditions at the weekend.
    I'm 6'6", 95kg. Which one would you go for? (Both are about similar price over here).

2008 Ducati 1098S Tri-Colore
    1360620345_481138458_2-2007-Ducati-Superbike-1098-Tricolore-Springboro.jpg
    Or
    2010 BMW S1000RR
    8369d1334105048-2012-blue-motografix-img_7050.jpg

(Google images as examples, but the blue is the colour I'm looking at in the RR.)

Tough decision. I haven't managed to ride either yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Me personally, the bmw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Having never even touched either I'm gonna base it purely on looks.

The BMW... it's far more aggressive looking with long sweeping lines and a killer back end.

The Ducati... too blocky, looks like a bike from the 80's even though it's only a 08!

For a 10k commute though, I think they are both pretty much wasted unless you do get nice long runs in the twisties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

That BMW is sweet, easy choice for me anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

At 6'6" you may dwarf these bikes and the riding style may be awkward and cramped, would you consider the likes of Bmw gs1200, TDM 850/900, Africa twin, Super tenere, these all have a more upright style for the longer legged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Mate of mine is 6'2.....had a 1098...found it uncomfortable...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

I'm 6ft 2" myself and have ridden the S1000r but not the Ducati. My advice on the BMW would be to steer clear the seating position is incredibly focused and I found it very uncomfortable. At 6ft6" I'd say it would be almost unbearable over distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Unless you've got secure parking buy a mountain bike for the commute and keep the bike for the weekend. Either bike will put a grin on your face , enjoy whichever you choose .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Thanks for the responses folks.
    I've had more upright bikes, but fancy something a bit different.
    The height thing some have mentioned is a bit of an issue by the sounds of things. I think I'll need to try them to be sure.

Maybe an R1 would be bigger, but it just doesn't have that extra little bit of exclusivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Lurching wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses folks.
    I've had more upright bikes, but fancy something a bit different.
    The height thing some have mentioned is a bit of an issue by the sounds of things. I think I'll need to try them to be sure.

Maybe an R1 would be bigger, but it just doesn't have that extra little bit of exclusivity.

I don't think an R1 would be much better.
    I have a ZZR1400 and there's loads of room on it.
    Feels sporty enough as it is a lot lighter than it looks.
    Can still throw it around on the twisties and goes like the clappers.

Always get people coming up to me(bikers and non bikers) asking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

An R1 will be just as cramped...my advice would be get a sports tourer, just as quick (unless you want to go mental) and much more comfort. Even a Haybusa would have more room and still plently of power. ZZR1400 or maybe the best all round bike you can get IMHO CBR1100 Blackbird. Or the new KTM 1290 known as the "naked Hayabusa" its that mental.

Out of the above 2, the BMW hands down. As you said you have not ridden either so the bikes might make the decision for you Id say the BMW has more gadgets then NASA and would ride itself no skill involved TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

What about a KTM RC8? http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/06/20/ktm-rc8-r/
    But the coolest thing of all is how the RC8 takes adjustable ergos to a new level. Adjustable footpegs are a fairly common feature on contemporary sportbikes, but KTM adds the ability to alter the height and angle of its clip-on handlebars and bolt-on seat subframe, too. Toss in adjustable control levers and gear selector/brake pedal, and the RC8 can be tailored to fit just about any rider or type of riding. Want to get crazy over the front and fully tucked in for a track day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The blue on that Beemer is manky - each to his own I guess.

Of those two I'd buy the Ducati, but on your budget I'd be thinking MultiStrada 1200. Aussie speed cops are so prevalent I'd be going for something a little less speed focussed - the suspension on those bikes doesn't start to work properly below 120kmh.

'cpt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Lurching wrote: »
    , but it just doesn't have that extra little bit of exclusivity.

From your op thats what i was thinking.........dis-comfort comes at a price where bikes are concerned i'm afraid.....
    Always annoys me that the "one size fits all" approach of bike makers is almost insulting..:mad:..you wouldnt buy a car if it was uncomfortable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

you wouldnt buy a car if it was uncomfortable...

Depends on your budget :D ... I used to drive a Fiat Seicento and had to open the sunroof to take pressure off the top of my head which hit the roof. if I had been in a crash , even a minor one I would have broken my neck ...

Simpsons-Tall-Car-Guy-1317414398.jpg

Advertisement