Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move to Regina or Saskatoon

Options
  • 20-03-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

I'm a Civil Engineer of 12 years experience, but owing to the state of the economy I haven't managed to get any Engineering work for over a year. My wife and me have decided that we should give Canada a go, and we have settled on Regina, Saskatoon and possibly Calgary as locations that seem really suitable for us. Can anone give me any advice or guidance on how to get work and sponsorship? Is there any pitfalls that we need to be aware of as a family? Thanks in advance for all and any advice!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Beancounter 2013

I am a QS and moved to Calgary last summer with my family. There is work in Calgary, as well as Regina and Saskatoon, but I would say that from a livability (climate!) point of view Calgary would be best. I spent a week in Calgary this time last year and worked Linkedin and the recruitment firms before I left. I emailed anybody I knew in my line of work who was already here to see if I could get in front of as many people as possible, not even for formal interviews, while I was here. The process with employers seems to be a slow one in Canada so be prepared for that. QS's (or Estimators as we are in Canada) were eligible for a fast track process for a temp work permit so luckily that didn't delay our coming over, but I don't know what the situation is with Civil Engineers at present with regards to requiring LMO etc. Have you had a chat with some of the recruitment companies in Dublin advertising for Canada - they usually have complete packages on offer including relocation. Good luck with it. I'm glad we came, it's an expensive relocation and not a cheap place to live, but there's work!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 unblinkered optimist

Thats great information, thank you for that. I went to the expo on Saturday and I already have an interview out of it. Fingers crossed!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

I would think long and hard before making a move to Regina / Saskatoon. They are not comparable to Calgary in the slightest. Also if you come over on an LMO then you'll be stuck there until getting residency.

Winters on the prairies are very harsh and there is little to do around the Saskatchewan and Manitoba provinces. I moved to the prairies and regretted it but have been unable to move until we secured residency.

A few people from Ireland moved over with the same company to Saskatchewan and none of them went beyond a year there.

It's a big move so research it well.

Wow, thats certainly something to consider, a lot of people have recommended Calgary, I'll do a bit of research on it. One employer wants to sponsor me, and we are at the reference check stage already. If they offer a decent package then it would be hard to turn it turn, considering that I'm unemployed here at the moment! They have offered to assist me in getting Permanent Residency as well if we do go out. So fingers are still crossed here!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Wow, thats certainly something to consider, a lot of people have recommended Calgary, I'll do a bit of research on it. One employer wants to sponsor me, and we are at the reference check stage already. If they offer a decent package then it would be hard to turn it turn, considering that I'm unemployed here at the moment! They have offered to assist me in getting Permanent Residency as well if we do go out. So fingers are still crossed here!

Considering your situation then it may be worth it but just be prepared that it may not be the Canada you see referenced on these boards regularly. I don't particularly like the prairies, but saying that it has served me well in terms of getting residency, saving money etc. but no way will we stay here any longer than we have to. However it is a route into Canada and probably a quicker one than seeking an LMO from an employer in Alberta, Ontario or BC who have more IEC immigrants to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Sam Swarek

Hi, I moved to Regina last year on the IEC, Im a QS and was recruited from home by one of the large construction companies as an Estimator. I have to say, it was probably the worst experience of my life. I lasted 6 months and Im now in the UK. I don't know where to even start with describing how much of a dive Regina and Saskatchewan is. And then its so unbelievably cold for 8/9 months of the year, minus 50deg C has to be experienced to be believed and that's no exaggeration. The cost of living is extortionate, taxes are very high and the people are so backwards and just generally odd. I had lived abroad before for a number of years before I hit Canada and always enjoyed the experience.
    My advice is avoid Saskatchewan like the plague. there is a big recruitment drive to get people there simply because nobody wants to go there! the place is "booming" or so they keep saying but I didn't see it for myself, even working in the construction industry, busy but not overly busy. People have a lot of money but people have massive debt also and have all the latest cars, gadgets, trips abroad etc and think it will last forever eventhough potash mines are in trouble, people cant see the wood from the trees (sounds familiar). it might last another year or two in SK but when it crashes, it will crash hard.
    If you want my advice, go somewhere warmer, don't believe what these recruitment agencies will dupe you into believing either, Canada has a better life to offer outside of Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Sam Swarek

I was made a lot of promises by my Canadian employer also that they didn't fulfill, eg moving over and relocation costs, I was left out of pocket a couple of G's in the end so be wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Sam Swarek wrote: »
    Hi, I moved to Regina last year on the IEC, Im a QS and was recruited from home by one of the large construction companies as an Estimator. I have to say, it was probably the worst experience of my life. I lasted 6 months and Im now in the UK. I don't know where to even start with describing how much of a dive Regina and Saskatchewan is. And then its so unbelievably cold for 8/9 months of the year, minus 50deg C has to be experienced to be believed and that's no exaggeration. The cost of living is extortionate, taxes are very high and the people are so backwards and just generally odd. I had lived abroad before for a number of years before I hit Canada and always enjoyed the experience.
    My advice is avoid Saskatchewan like the plague. there is a big recruitment drive to get people there simply because nobody wants to go there! the place is "booming" or so they keep saying but I didn't see it for myself, even working in the construction industry, busy but not overly busy. People have a lot of money but people have massive debt also and have all the latest cars, gadgets, trips abroad etc and think it will last forever eventhough potash mines are in trouble, people cant see the wood from the trees (sounds familiar). it might last another year or two in SK but when it crashes, it will crash hard.
    If you want my advice, go somewhere warmer, don't believe what these recruitment agencies will dupe you into believing either, Canada has a better life to offer outside of Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

There won't be a crash in Saskatchewan. They've more oil than Alberta.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

el diablo wrote: »
    There won't be a crash in Saskatchewan. They've more oil than Alberta.

Ya and all it takes is the Americans to start buying their oil elsewhere, the cost of living and property prices aren't sustainable in Saskatchewan and it's mostly potash mines than oil sands in SK from what I could see. People are living on credit and have huge personal debt, it's economics, something will give way at some point.
    Either way, the place is a complete shi.thole

Thanks for all the feedback above, it sure gives me some food for thought. Does anyone have any information on what its like for kids there? I have a pair of toddlers who I want to give better opportunities too than we have in Ireland. Regretably, I don't see Ireland going anywhere anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Beancounter 2013

My kids are older than yours (mid teens and almost a teen) so I don't know what it would be like for them if they were growing up in Canada. School is totally different to home and has taken my 15 year old some getting used to, but the younger one is doing better than she ever did in school at home. In Calgary anyway there is a lot to get involved in, but it all costs $'s. Hockey is huge here and people have their kids in it from as soon as they can walk from what I can see! My kids aren't involved in too much, but as I say it's all there for them. Besides that there is the outdoors, and that's free. Calgary is just over an hour from the mountains and the landscape is just stunning and changes with the light! Camping is big here and that can be with a tent, a 25 year old Winibago or a top of the range 5th wheel. They all get away camping as soon as the weather improves. On that not it's 31st March and STILL snowing, so we're still waiting for the weather to improve!

The cost of living is high, but budgeting is possible as long as you don't get caught up in the new car lease, trips to Mexico etc. To be honest I don't think anybody I know over 30 who has kids and has lived through the past few years in Ireland is likely to get sucked into that trap again! Alberta has the benefit of not having a provincial sales tax so you are just paying sale price plus 5% GST. I'm afraid I have to agree with you on no seeing an improvement in Ireland any time soon. Canada is far from perfect, but it has given our family opportunities we just did not have at home. Good luck with your search!

Thanks mate, thats good to hear. We all love camping and are insanely addicted to the outdoors. :-)

Advertisement