Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alarm

Options
  • 20-03-2014 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

We have an old alarm system in our house which is about 25 years old (Veritas). It has sensors on doors and windows, which weren't working well the last time they were checked by the local alarm guy when he was doing a service. And there's also an infra red system downstairs which does work.

The problem is that we have a small dog, so if we just use part guard to alarm the doors and windows it may not set off the alarm if the sensors aren't working properly, and if we put the full alarm on, she'll keep triggering it. So most of the time we don't put it on at all. It's also not monitored, our next door neighbour has a key, so all in all it's not a great system.

We were thinking maybe of going with Phonewatch as the €699 they charge is about as much as we can afford, and I read that they can adjust their sensors for pets, however I can't find any details on how much they charge for monitoring.

Just wondering if we have any other options with regard to enhancing our current system, especially regarding monitoring or even ringing our mobiles if it goes off. We don't have a landline, as our phone is with UPC.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Read around some of the posts here re PW.
    Like for like on equipment they are dearer than most.
    No external bell, Only a couple of doors covers & the rest are PiRs (not much good for the dog) The PiRs have cameras. Do you really want internal images from your house showing up to a bunch of controllers?:eek:
    Not to mention your monitoring depending on GSM only and at the mercy of any cheap GSM jammer.

Add a little to that €699 & you will get a decent system with full perimeter protection, a full external bell & the option to self monitor without paying €35 a month or €420 a year :eek:

As I always say.Shop around & get a few company's out & get professional system design proposals done out based on your security needs ,not on a generic ,one for all , system. Incidentaly , it is a requirement of the standards that this system design proposal is made up 7 given to you prior to any installation.
    When you have those proposals go back to PW and ask them for a price based on that specification device for device & see how good their price looks then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

greyc wrote: »

We were thinking maybe of going with Phonewatch as the €699 they charge is about as much as we can afford, and I read that they can adjust their sensors for pets, however I can't find any details on how much they charge for monitoring.

Just wondering if we have any other options with regard to enhancing our current system, especially regarding monitoring or even ringing our mobiles if it goes off. We don't have a landline, as our phone is with UPC.

Ok just be conscience as Koolkid mentioned, with Phonewatch you will indeed spend €699 on a system which is not suitable as you have a dog.
    Then of course the small print of that, € 420 a year for monitoring, which you will be tied into for a 3 year period which equals € 1,260, that on top of the install gives a total of € 1,959.

That's not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

greyc wrote: »
    We have an old alarm system in our house which is about 25 years old (Veritas). It has sensors on doors and windows, which weren't working well the last time they were checked by the local alarm guy when he was doing a service. And there's also an infra red system downstairs which does work.

The problem is that we have a small dog, so if we just use part guard to alarm the doors and windows it may not set off the alarm if the sensors aren't working properly, and if we put the full alarm on, she'll keep triggering it. So most of the time we don't put it on at all. It's also not monitored, our next door neighbour has a key, so all in all it's not a great system.

Perimeter protection is always going to be the better option either way. I am sure you would rather an intruder set your alarm off trying to gain entry than being in and then setting it off. You can also get pet sensitive PIRs installed if you have pets in your home. Always good to have PIRs as a back up to any system.

Advertisement