Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long threads.

Options
  • 20-03-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭

Really annoying when somebody jumps in with something that has been dealt with earlier on in the thread.
    How about a sticky or a general warning,read the thread or don't comment on it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Pretty much an unavoidable annoyance in my opinion.

A lot of people lead busy lives and don't really have the time to devote to sitting in front of a computer reading each and every poster's tuppence worth.

It's hardly a major inconvenience to have to skip over a few posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Pretty much an unavoidable annoyance in my opinion.

A lot of people lead busy lives and don't really have the time to devote to sitting in front of a computer reading each and every poster's tuppence worth.

It's hardly a major inconvenience to have to skip over a few posts.

It screws up the thread and causes it to go in circles .If they haven't time to read it why jump in with what might be a nonsensical post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

kneemos wrote: »
    It screws up the thread and causes it to go in circles .If they haven't time to read it why jump in with what might be a nonsensical post.

I think it's safe to say that what you have outlined is a problem every online message board created has encountered at some stage or other, and none have come up with a workable solution to it as far as I can see.

It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid.:o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Nobody is really going to want to read through a long thread just to see if a specific point they are going to make has already been made previously. All you can do is point them to where it's been brought up before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Well I haven't read this thread but its annoying when a poster jumps in to post something already stated earlier! :mad:

Honestly though, very little to be done and it is one of my pet peeves. Feel free to point them out to the relevant posting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You are talking about something else entirely now. It's hardly nonsense if it's just someone repeating the same point made by another earlier. It's what happens in popular threads where people seem to hold similar opinions or perspectives. Or even just simply quote from the same articles, because they didn't notice someone else had done it, while they were reading the article themselves.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If it is a 20 post thread it is a fair and very valid point. If it is a 1,000 post thread (never mind 10,000) then it is not a valid point to be honest as it would be ridiculously onerous to read back through everything before contributing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

In general the concept of a mega thread annoys the hell out of me however at times it is unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Really annoying when somebody jumps in with something that has been dealt with earlier on in the thread.
    How about a sticky or a general warning,read the thread or don't comment on it.

Everyone's opinion is a special unique snowflake. You should be more generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,119 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nesf wrote: »
    Everyone's opinion is a special unique snowflake. You should be more generous.

Yeah some posters thing they're a ****ing blizzard. present company excluded.

How you can spend 10,000 posts debating the same endless topic (*coutghcoughreationcoughism*) is beyond my mortal coil

• Advertisement
Advertisement