Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride on mower

• 20-03-2014 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to buy a ride on mower. I have over an acre site and its a bit up hill. I am looking at Castlegarden, Husquvarna and Stiga. Price wise there is not a whole lot in the difference about 300euro from cheapest to dearest. While I dont mind spending the money I dont want to spend if I dont have to. Has anyone any recomendations about any of these as I dont know much about them to be honest and every retailer says theirs is tje best. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I've just traded in my Castlegarden forva Stiga 4 wheel drive. I love it, it has the blades on the front so perfect for getting in under trees etc.

It's a mulcher lawnmower, have you thought about whether you want to collect the grass or whether you'd be happy to mulch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 munsterkid

I am thinking more towards collecting it. The Stiga model I'm looking at is the estate royal hydro, the castlegarden model is the xt190hd. How is the stiga compared to the castlegarden one you previously owned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Castlegarden and Stiga are both made by GGP in Italy, don't know if Stiga are worth the extra money. Personally wouldn't limit myself to a mulcher, in fact I don't think mulchers are great for Irish weather at all - now if I had a back problem and couldn't empty the box on a mower that collects the grass it might be a different story !. Get used to sweeping your floor a lot if you have kids playing on grass that has been cut with a mulcher mower !! You will pay a premium for the rider mowers with front mounted cutting decks, and you will have no collection option, unless you are prepared to pay the price for the likes of some of the Gianni Ferrari models . Plenty of brands come with mulching kits as an extra if you want to go that route. Hydrostatic transmission is something I would not be without in a mower. Have a Mountfield myself which is also made by GGP in Italy, and is not dissimilar to the Castlegarden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

munsterkid wrote: »
    I am thinking more towards collecting it. The Stiga model I'm looking at is the estate royal hydro, the castlegarden model is the xt190hd. How is the stiga compared to the castlegarden one you previously owned?

I find the Stiga a lot handier, but in saying that we had a Castlegarden XT180 HD and it was grand.

+1 about the hydrostatic transmission :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 munsterkid

Well Stiga is actually the cheapest one I can get, about €200 cheaper than castlegarden. I can get plenty of reviews on castlegarden but nothing really on Stiga hench why I'm looking for info/recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

munsterkid, have you thought about viking mowers? They are very good and a sister brand of Stihl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,764 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bought a 2nd hand Husq off a mate a couple of years ago, and find it a good machine, but I have no reference to any others so I don't know if its better or worse than other brands.

I have a mulching plug in mine and have only once collected the grass. Thing with mulching is that you really need to cut the grass fairly regularly, and thats not always possible in our summers. And yes you do end up with grass cuttings on your shoes if you mulch, but its not too bad unless you walk on the grass when its wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Bought a Jonsered 2217CMA recently. Find it a great machine. B&S engine a bit noise though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

munsterkid wrote: »
    Well Stiga is actually the cheapest one I can get, about €200 cheaper than castlegarden. I can get plenty of reviews on castlegarden but nothing really on Stiga hench why I'm looking for info/recommendations.

Stiga and Castelgarden are both exactly the same except for the colour of the plastics. You should get a free mulching kit with the Stiga as they come as standard with most Stiga models.

• Advertisement
Advertisement