Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archives masters

• 20-03-2014 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone has done an archives masters either in Ireland or UK and what was their feedback in terms of course work, jobs etc? thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

A friend of mine did her MA in Archives and Records Management in UCL and she was able to get a job fairly easily from it :)

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/degrees/taught/tmaarmsing01

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

A friend of mine did her MA in Archives and Records Management in UCL and she was able to get a job fairly easily from it :)

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/degrees/taught/tmaarmsing01

Thanks for that reply Viva. I know it's a long shot to ask you but would you happen to know did your self-fund and did she have much experience prior to entering the course? Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I did the archives course in UCD a few years ago, the course was good and the workload was quite intense. Job prospects in Ireland are quite poor at the moment, but the UK market is improving and the qualification makes you very employable in New Zealand if you ever think of heading out that way. Personally if I was to do it again I would seriously consider the UCL course, I've had quite a bit of engagement with the course coordinators in recent years and it is quite impressive,and has quite a good ICT focus which would be ideal with regards competing for work

I did the archives course in UCD a few years ago, the course was good and the workload was quite intense. Job prospects in Ireland are quite poor at the moment, but the UK market is improving and the qualification makes you very employable in New Zealand if you ever think of heading out that way. Personally if I was to do it again I would seriously consider the UCL course, I've had quite a bit of engagement with the course coordinators in recent years and it is quite impressive,and has quite a good ICT focus which would be ideal with regards competing for work

Thanks for the reply ilovesmybrick, very helpful.
    The UCL course looks good from what I've seen.
    Can I ask how much prior experience you had before doing the course at UCD?
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Not a problem. I had just finished my masters in history and had about a years experience in a national institution. The experience in my year varied from 5-6 years to a few months.

• Advertisement

Not a problem. I had just finished my masters in history and had about a years experience in a national institution. The experience in my year varied from 5-6 years to a few months.

Yea, that's good to know. I'm seeking experience at the minute. Good to hear from someone who has been there and done that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Thanks for that reply Viva. I know it's a long shot to ask you but would you happen to know did your self-fund and did she have much experience prior to entering the course? Thanks again!

So sorry, only seeing this reply now! No, as far as I know she did her BA and then went straight into doing the Masters :)

So sorry, only seeing this reply now! No, as far as I know she did her BA and then went straight into doing the Masters :)

No problem and thanks again! :)

Additional question to the above thread - what kind of pre-course experience is the most desirable? Would a museum archives be ok? Thanks

Advertisement