Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cinema 4d vs 3d Studio Max

• 20-03-2014 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi, has anyone here got any experience or knowledge of both Cinema 4d and 3d Studio Max?

I'm trying to understand the similarities or differences between both packages and what instances they would/could be used.

And leading from that which might be more useful to learn.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 pauly-chops

Well it's very simple. You need to ask yourself what type of work do you want to do? If it's games then 3ds Max is your choice. If it's film/TV then CINEMA 4D would be the better option. Max is an alrounder. There was a time when it was Max for games, Maya for Film and C4D for motion graphics but those lines are becoming more blurred especially in the Autodesk camp.

3ds Max has an extremely step learning curve but it's worth sticking with. It is much more widely used and those that learn Max find Maya pretty easy to use. Plus the bulk of tutorials online are for Max and Maya so you're in good hands with an Audodesk product. Plus there is Mudbox, also made by Autodesk. A fantastic digital sculpting program should you choose to learn it. In Ireland I think Max would go alot further for you than C4D.

In regards to C4D, well I've been using it for nearly five years and love it. I've been using BodyPaint (MAXONS UV and texture painter) for over a year. CINEMA 4D is super easy to learn and great fun. What takes about 5 or 6 clicks in Maya or Max can be done in 1 or 2 in C4D. C4D is far more streamlined. It's a newer application and has a far nicer interface and alot less messy. But in saying that, C4D isn't as "deep" as Maya or Max. You can go into menu after menu or dig really deep down into Maya/Max. That's why they are perfered by studios. C4D is more light but still one of the big applications. Here in Ireland C4D isn't popular with studios. It's mostly freelancers and the like who can see the benefit of it. It will be a few more years before you see studios using it. We're always slow like that here. While over in the UK and US, C4D is huge!

These are all my opinions and alot of people won't agree with what I have said but I used Max in college and didn't like it. It's what drove me away from 3D animation and modelling. It wasn't until I discovered C4D that I got interested in it again years later. If you want to learn either software or why not both, check out Digital Tutors! They are the best training site. There is also 3D Motive. They cover alot of Max and Maya tutorials.

I am a 3D modeller and I like to keep my skills sharp by learning as many apps as I can. I love modelling in C4D and MODO but Im also keeping up with Maya and Max. Sadly Softimage tutorials arn't being made anymore. I never got into that application fully.

So, ask yourself what do you want to do? Also check out both sites. Max offer a 30 day trial while C4D you can download the entire program for free if you are a student or only learning.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Pauly

Advertisement