Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot install Programs on Win 7 pc's on domain

Options
  • 20-03-2014 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help with the following issue I am after encountering.
    I have windows 7 installed on a few desktops/laptops in work.
    When I try to install some programs ie. Google Chrome, Firefox etc, when I am on the work domain I keep getting an error & cannot install the program.
    The program will install perfectly on the pc’s when they are not on the domain.
    Also any pc that is running Win XP & on the domain can also install these programs.
    Can you suggest any reason why this is so & any fix you might have come across for this ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Is the domain user account an admin one? It's possibly just a standard user account. If it's not an admin account log in to the machines admin user and install the program for all users. Or else login with the pcs admin a/c when asked by the installer for permission. If this doesn't help what exactly is the error message your getting?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ryant1981

Hi Nick,
    I have full admin rights on the box, but still cannot install. Error i get is attached

ryant1981 wrote: »
    Hi Nick,
    I have full admin rights on the box, but still cannot install. Error i get is attached

Have you tried logging in to the machines local admin account and see if it installs? That error message seems to be signalling a connection issue moreso than a permissions one (although there could be a link).
    Be interesting to see if it installs when not using the domain account. Have you tried forcing the setup.exe to run as admin? UAC may not be picking up that it needs elevated permissions, particularly as Chrome installs to the app data folder (iirc) which usually doesn't require permissions elevation to write to.
    Another thing to try would be a www.ninite.com install. I use this all the time and it's a lifesaver, particularly when installing multiple programs

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ryant1981

Hi Nick,
    Same result, logged on as local admin on the box, try to download & same error :mad:

ryant1981 wrote: »
    Hi Nick,
    Same result, logged on as local admin on the box, try to download & same error :mad:

The same goes for Firefox? That is very strange. There could be a policy/firewall issue causing it. I'm not familiar with that side of things though. Does other software like say Adobe Reader, iTunes etc. install ok?
    Both the Chrome and Firefox installers pull data from the internet to ensure the program is up to date during the install. It could be something blocking this task. A weird one alright :).
    Edit: Have you tried Ninite?

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

More than Likely Group policy restrictions, talk to your systems admin

21/25

Advertisement