Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with airflow to PSU and GPU.

Options
  • 20-03-2014 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm concerned about the airflow between my PSU (Antec 520w HCG) and my GPU. (MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr) My case is a BitFenix Merc Beta and my motherboard is an Asrock z77 Pro3. The blueprint for the motherboard can be seen here.

The problem is that the sole PCIe 3 slot is located near the bottom of the motherboard. My GPU is slotted there, right above my bottom-mounted PSU (you can clearly see this in the images I've submitted below)

The Twin Frozr has two fans and frequently operates at 80 degrees celsius when playing demanding games, in line with the GPU Boost 2.0 technology by Nvidia.

I am worried that my PSU and GPU, given their close proximity, will end up absorbing too much heat as there is too little space between them, and the last thing I want is a busted PSU or an overheating GPU. However, moving my GPU to the PCIe 2 above is not an option as I am aware of the fact that performance degradation can occur as a result of using a weaker slot.

My question is, will the close space result in overheating of either components or faster depreciation of their lifespans?

I've submitted a few images of my rig below.

Any help or advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

It's one aspect of the case I generally do not like (how close the card is to the PSU). You know I know nothing about the technical side to any of this stuff but my first impression thought is that it should be fine. I would try and make use of the cable management a bit more to free up some space and improve airflow a bit. Specifically near the PSU.

I think we did that when I was helping you with your build, it just takes lifting off the back panel, running the wires through the bottom and feeding them through the top slots into what needs it. As is all those cables near the power supply are sure to negate a lot of the airflow to the card.

I don't notice much issue with mine as I just tucked the loose cables into the unused HDD slots and to be hell with cable management said I, been meaning to do a bit of cable management but never found the time.

Take what you will from the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I take it the other PCIe slot runs at x8 or x4. Not much you can do except maybe add a case fan on the side near the GPU, Monitor the GPU temp with GPU-Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

I imagine the GPU temp is fine as it remains in the 25-35 range when idle. The 80+ degree temperature is due to GPU Boost 2.0 technology, which the 770 utilises. Same scenario when I had my 660 Ti, minus the GPU Boost.

My biggest concern is the PSU taking in hot air and subsequently losing its longevity, since the 770 Twin Frozr has two fans instead of the 660's single one. 660's single fan was on the far right side. :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That's odd, normally the best PCI-e slot for the GPU is the one nearest the CPU.

Anyway, if you're concerned, you should be able to orient the PSU so that it's drawing air in from the bottom of the case (there's vent holes at the bottom of the case to allow for this).

Some people prefer to do it this way anyway, so that the PSU is never drawing in warm case air. I personally prefer to have it the way you do now so it's helping cool the case a little, but it's a pretty minor effect anyway.

Best thing is to probably monitor your temps under load for a while the way it is now, then turn the PSU the other way around and see if that's any better/worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

stevenmu wrote: »
    That's odd, normally the best PCI-e slot for the GPU is the one nearest the CPU.

Anyway, if you're concerned, you should be able to orient the PSU so that it's drawing air in from the bottom of the case (there's vent holes at the bottom of the case to allow for this).

Some people prefer to do it this way anyway, so that the PSU is never drawing in warm case air. I personally prefer to have it the way you do now so it's helping cool the case a little, but it's a pretty minor effect anyway.

Best thing is to probably monitor your temps under load for a while the way it is now, then turn the PSU the other way around and see if that's any better/worse.

Did that last night, actually. Flipped the PSU around to face the perforated bottom of the case, and I moved the GPU to the upper slot. PSU stays pretty cool most of the time now. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement