Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

64GB iPhones

• 20-03-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭

Does anyone actually buy these? Most people I know just get 16GB max. If 8GB available, they'd take it instead so I was wondering who would buy 64GB iPhones (any generation)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jemmyboy

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Does anyone actually buy these? Most people I know just get 16GB max. If 8GB available, they'd take it instead so I was wondering who would buy 64GB iPhones (any generation)?

People that need 64GB???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

jemmyboy wrote: »
    People that need 64GB???

Personally, I think 64GB is quite a lot to be honest. I've 16GB iPhone 5 and I've had it for a year nearly and I still haven't made the max limit of memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

I have one, I listen to a lot of music have 4 x Ipods as well for my car, the iphone suits my needs fine grand as I change the music on the phone quite reguraly so I get to listen when I am on the move or out walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I have one. I have around 30ishGB filled up on it - mostly music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

If they weren't so expensive, I'd buy one. I have a lot of a music and like to keep a lot of it on my phone. I listen to music most days in work so it's handy to have a good chunk of it on my phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

My iPhones have all been 16GB. I currently have 5.4GB free on my 5s and can't see myself needing any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Seems some of you who have 64GB mainly fill it up with music! I have 8GB left on my 16GB iPhone although I did just removed all of my photos after uploading it to my iCloud. Still have two hundred songs and about 50 apps. That really does it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I always bought 64 gig iPhones. I have a lot of music. That said, I have unlimited data these days so I just stream it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Why not just get a Spotify sub instead of paying over the odds for 32/64gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Why not just get a Spotify sub instead of paying over the odds for 32/64gb

doesn't it always need an internet connection though? and it drains the battery quicker.

• Advertisement

alroley wrote: »
    doesn't it always need an internet connection though? and it drains the battery quicker.

Not at all ... you can save playlists for offline listening.

Typical usage:
    Connected to wifi:
    Save Album as Playlist -> mark it for offline and it will save it onto your phone

If you like you can use the same sub on another phone as long as they are always in offline mode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

16gb isn't enough.

2gb for OS
    1.5gb for swap (when updating to new versions) (this isn't mandatory but I like to keep this free anyways).
    1gb for 1 hour of video podcasts (i watch two a week).
    1gb for podcasts (I listen to about 10 podcasts regularly, but have a few saved that I/or my work is mentioned in).
    10gb of music (spotify is grand when on wifi, not on the DART though).

So that's 14.5gb that I'd use. which is probably over the usuable space of a 16gb phone even if it isn't i'd constantly have to chop and change, delete stuff, and I haven't even factored in iBooks, iTunes University and other various app caches (currently twitter cache is 500mb alone).

Some apps especially games are pushing 1gb in size, not a hope a 16gb phone is doable these days let alone an 8gb.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Not at all ... you can save playlists for offline listening.

Typical usage:
    Connected to wifi:
    Save Album as Playlist -> mark it for offline and it will save it onto your phone

If you like you can use the same sub on another phone as long as they are always in offline mode!

And exactly where do you think it saves the playlist to when you mark it for offline use???

And exactly where do you think it saves the playlist to when you mark it for offline use???

As it is so easy to do (ie no Itunes required) - you don't need 10gb of offline Spotify music. And of course, you have the option of streaming.
    Also you don't have the hassle of adding mp3s to iTunes library etc. Never have to use a laptop/itunes as a result!

€10 a month to listen to whatever you want whenever you want is damn good value if you are into your music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I have had every generation of iPhone and I always bought the 16Gb but for the 5s I bought the 32Gb I have lots of photos and videos and music I needed the extra space I will always go for the 32gb now. I know people who have 64Gb phones that are nearly full but 32Gb is fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

My iPhone 4s had 32GB but the photos, videos, music, apps (especially games) and other media started to add up. For iPhone 5, I got the 64GB model.

32GB should really be the minimum these days, 16GB and 8GB is just way too small if you like taking photos and videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

makoten wrote: »
    My iPhone 4s had 32GB but the photos, videos, music, apps (especially games) and other media started to add up. For iPhone 5, I got the 64GB model.

32GB should really be the minimum these days, 16GB and 8GB is just way too small if you like taking photos and videos.

Why though? WIth all the cloud services available?

Not only iCloud, but Google Microsoft and Dropbox offer tons of free space?

My current phone is 64gb 4s but my next one will be the 16gb as the €200 extra for 48gb is just not worth it when other free options are out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

10gb of music (spotify is grand when on wifi, not on the DART though).
    How long is the DART trip that you need 10GB of music?

I had a 32GB iPhone 4S and the next one I got was 16GB as I use the cloud for photos, video and music. Anyone not backing up their photos, videos and contacts to the cloud is running the huge risk of loosing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I find the 64GB models too heavy for my pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

long_b wrote: »
    I find the 64GB models too heavy for my pocket.

It's fine when you originally get it but once you sync your music and photo's it really weighs you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I would like atleast a 32GB biut they are just too expensive, I have run into issues with my memory being full before, mostly due to music but I use spotify pretty much exclusively, all you can eat data means that I can listen to what I want most of the time and I have a few playlists saved for offline usage if I don't.

The one feature I have to complain about with iPhones is the lack of an SD card slot, it would make life so much easier, but I know it will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Dudda wrote: »
    How long is the DART trip that you need 10GB of music?

Why would I just stick enough music for my 45 minute journey? If I did that I'd be changing music every single day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I used about 45GB on my 64GB 5S. Music, Videos, Apps, Photos it all adds up for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Used to have 64gb iPhone for last model mostly for music, video and photos but 16gb does me fine not since using cloud services.
    I don't use spotify but use iTunes Match so that my entire music collection is available for me to play. It automatically caches the most frequent songs played so most of what I currently am listening is available offline anyway. Works fine on Dart and luas for me.
    For pictures/ videos, I sync them all to google drive where I can access them from multiple devices

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why though? WIth all the cloud services available?

Not only iCloud, but Google Microsoft and Dropbox offer tons of free space?

My current phone is 64gb 4s but my next one will be the 16gb as the €200 extra for 48gb is just not worth it when other free options are out there.

iCloud is only 5GB unless you pay for extra storage. Cloud storage like Dropbox is useful but you won't be able to access your files without an internet connection. That's where the extra storage will come in handy when you're out and about. It just depends on how you use your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

makoten wrote: »
    iCloud is only 5GB unless you pay for extra storage. Cloud storage like Dropbox is useful but you won't be able to access your files without an internet connection. That's where the extra storage will come in handy when you're out and about. It just depends on how you use your phone.

Surely most people would have access to internet 90% of the time whether it's via their own mobile provider or the abundance of wifi everywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I have always purchased the 16gb version, using iTunes Match it can be handy for storing ones music collection in the cloud, but lately I am finding Match unreliable, so I think I will go for the 32gb version when the next iPhone is released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I'm surprised that 16GB is enough for so many people. My first iPhone was a 16GB iPhone 3G, and this replaced my old 20GB iPod. The iPod had my entire music collection at the time, and was close to full, so moving to the iPhone meant that I couldn't have everything. Constantly having to delete old music to make room for new stuff was annoying, so my next (and current) phone was a 64GB 4S.

At this stage, 35GB is taken up by music, 8GB by photos and videos, another 8GB by messages (somehow - probably videos) and almost everything else is apps, etc. I take a lot of videos, and am always having to transfer some over to my computer to make way for more. Once on the computer, they're practically lost, not to be viewed again for a long time. Anything that stays on the phone can be airplayed with ease to my Apple TV or just viewed on the phone whenever I want, so it would be great to have 128GB. Although that probably wouldn't be long filling up, either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 yopy

16GB is too easy to fill. I will buy bigger next time.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely most people would have access to internet 90% of the time whether it's via their own mobile provider or the abundance of wifi everywhere?

The point is I can store more media on my iPhone with 64GB compared to 16GB and have access to it at anytime regardless of where I am - which comes in handy for long-haul flights to Asia or Australia. I'm sure a lot people stream and store all their content on cloud services and are fine with 16GB (or even 8GB), but that's not how I use my phone.

Advertisement