Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone call from 'eircom technical support' ... bogus or not and how to stop

Options
  • 20-03-2014 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have had two phone calls today and two phonecalls yesterday to my eircom phoneline from 'Jack' claiming to be eircom technical support and that their is a problem with my computer and internet connection. I am presuming that the calls are a scam and have told the caller as such. However, they keep calling. I rang eircom technical support myself - they confirmed that do not ring customers - that customers ring them with problems. I have tried unsuccessfully to ring anyone directly at eircom with the problem. The eircom web chat online is currently offline! Basically, I cannot contact eircom and am thinking of switching instead to Sky... I have heard in the past of people not being able to contact eircom until they actually leave the service. It is so frustrating.

Anyhow, can someone please confirm to me that these calls are scams .... can I somehow stop receiving these calls...

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Can confirm that these are definitely scam calls and the chaps at the end of the line don't like being reminded about it.  

Only way I stopped them was barring the number via our handset at home.  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I have had two phone calls today and two phonecalls yesterday to my eircom phoneline from 'Jack' claiming to be eircom technical support and that their is a problem with my computer and internet connection. I am presuming that the calls are a scam and have told the caller as such. However, they keep calling. I rang eircom technical support myself - they confirmed that do not ring customers - that customers ring them with problems. I have tried unsuccessfully to ring anyone directly at eircom with the problem. The eircom web chat online is currently offline! Basically, I cannot contact eircom and am thinking of switching instead to Sky... I have heard in the past of people not being able to contact eircom until they actually leave the service. It is so frustrating.

Anyhow, can someone please confirm to me that these calls are scams .... can I somehow stop receiving these calls...

thanks
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi CrankyPrincess

Sorry to hear of the issues getting through to the centre.

I can confirm that these calls are suspected to be of a spamful nature. The calls are currently being investigated however you can contact eircoms malicious calls bureau on free phone 1800689689 if you wish to discuss this further

Thanks

Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CrankyPrincess

Mezcita wrote: »
    Can confirm that these are definitely scam calls and the chaps at the end of the line don't like being reminded about it.  

Only way I stopped them was barring the number via our handset at home.  
    Thanks Mezcita, I usually can guess that the number I see on handset is going to be one of the calls but the number is definitely different every time. Did u block all the numbers or just one? This morning I asked 'Jack' what country he was ringing from. He declined to answer and asked me why I wanted to know. I just said I needed to check with eircom if it was a genuine call and he told me to go off and check without telling me where he was ringing from! He then hung up. I get so annoyed by these guys. I'll have to see can I block the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CrankyPrincess

thanks
    Hi CrankyPrincess

I can confirm that these calls are suspected to be of a spamful nature. The calls are currently being investigated however you can contact eircoms malicious calls bureau on free phone 1800689689 if you wish to discuss this further

Thanks

Al
    Thanks Alan. It's great to contact ye this way in eircom but I feel sorry for people without internet know-how to contact ye. Very frustrating to try and ring to speak to someone and navigate your way through lots of 'press x to go to x' etc only in the end to get an engaged tone. I'll have to see what I can block from my home number. What really got to me actually which I forgot to mention was that 'Jack' asked was this Mrs. CrankyPrincess speaking (ok so he didn't say CrankyPrincess but he had my surname correct.) How the hel* did he get those details.... very suspect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

thanks
    Hi CrankyPrincess

Thanks

Al
    Thanks Alan. It's great to contact ye this way in eircom but I feel sorry for people without internet know-how to contact ye. Very frustrating to try and ring to speak to someone and navigate your way through lots of 'press x to go to x' etc only in the end to get an engaged tone. I'll have to see what I can block from my home number. What really got to me actually which I forgot to mention was that 'Jack' asked was this Mrs. CrankyPrincess speaking (ok so he didn't say CrankyPrincess but he had my surname correct.) How the hel* did he get those details.... very suspect...

Hi CrankyPrincess

I will pass your feedback in relation to the issues contacting eircom to operations. I can understand that these calls can be upsetting however I highly recommend hanging up if this happens again.

I will be unable to see where they got your details but it could have been from the phonebook if you are in it.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement