Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnolia

• 20-03-2014 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭

I bought a magnolia in lidl on saturday. 20 quid, for what to me looks like a very good tree. It was about 4 foot tall and in a 10 litre pot.
    Anyway, I sowed it Monday and as we speak it's been battered by a fairly strong wind. Will it be ok or should I have staked it? It would be difficult to stake as there isn't one main stem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

peadar76 wrote: »
    I bought a magnolia in lidl on saturday. 20 quid, for what to me looks like a very good tree. It was about 4 foot tall and in a 10 litre pot.
    Anyway, I sowed it Monday and as we speak it's been battered by a fairly strong wind. Will it be ok or should I have staked it? It would be difficult to stake as there isn't one main stem.

Everything is battered at the moment!
    If you can move it to a more sheltered spot on days like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its been planted Sgt Pepper ('sowed'). OP it will probably be ok, as you say, bit difficult to stake multi-stems. Have a look at the very base of the plant and see if it looks as though it has 'rocked' in the ground (ie, slightly bigger hole round the stem where it has moved.) Heel it in a bit more if it has, don't put a lot of weight on it though. You could put in three short stakes and join them so that the branches are confined by the cord, rather than the stakes, just to support it a bit. Keep it low though or the cord will bind on the naturally moving branches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Cheers Looksee. Yeah moving it isn't an option. Excuse my english, us boggers "sow" everything.
    I'll keep an eye on it to see if it's been rocked and will go down the 3 stake route if necessary. I wish these winds would f*ck off for a few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Magnolia aren't for windy areas they really need a sheltered spot to do well, do you have somewhere else you can move it? They do hate being moved too though:pac: Ah ... you only planted it Saturday, moving it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I don't really have anywhere better for it. It's not that windy an area, except for when the windows are very strong. Which in fairness is fairly regularly. I reckon if it gets established it will do ok. It mightn't thrive as much as if it was completely sheltered but there is nothing I can do about that. I had a look this evening and it doesn't seem to have rocked in the ground, so maybe it will be ok.

I didn't realise they needed to be sheltered, thanks for the info

• Advertisement
Advertisement