Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Advertiser's Front Page Headline

Options
  • 20-03-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that the Galway Advertiser's front page headline says exactly the opposite of what the story says?

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/67873/nui-galway-study-shows-non-migrant-children-have-less-chance-of-college

[Edit: they've changed it on their website now]
    NUI Galway study shows non-migrant children have less chance of college
    GALWAY ADVERTISER, MARCH 20, 2014.
    Children of non-migrant parents have a significant advantage over children of migrant parents when it comes to educational achoievement and ambition, a major study undertaken at NUI Galway has revealed. In the study, the Population and Migration research cluster at the Whitaker Institute at NUI Galway has identified an emerging achievement gap between young migrants and their non-migrant peers, which will result in a significant under-representation in third-level institutions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Judging by their facebook and online headline they haven't copped on yet. I did find myself taking a double take at that headline earlier too. :)
    Someones head must roll etc! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Great device to get you to read the article! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Great device to get you to read the article! :-)

True enough (it worked for me!) but very misleading if you don't read the article...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Common occurrence with them, they often have misspellings etc in headlines and articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

blow-jobs-ad.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

I think the Mayo headline is probably accurate. God knows they deserve it for having to live in Belmullet.

I saw the error in the Galway Advertiser. Reading the article only made it worse as I tried to figure out who the 'non migrants' were. Otherwise known as Irish people. No wonder the sub editor got confused. It's ridiculous attempt to be politically correct.

Apart from anything else the whole story seems suspect. It's far too soon to be making judgements like that. As best as I can tell effectively the research indicates that Irish kids, ie: 'non migrants' are going to better schools than migrants. Which may or may not be true. But Irish kids go to those schools too?

Isn't the real issue that there is a two tier school system. The good and the not so good. Or more accurately schools for middle class kids and schools for the rest?

That's the real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

folbotcar wrote: »
    Reading the article only made it worse as I tried to figure out who the 'non migrants' were. Otherwise known as Irish people. No wonder the sub editor got confused. It's ridiculous attempt to be politically correct.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

I noticed this on Thursday as well and they have corrected it in the online version. I also noticed the below which they haven't spotted yet.

kjjp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

folbotcar wrote: »
    Reading the article only made it worse as I tried to figure out who the 'non migrants' were. Otherwise known as Irish people. No wonder the sub editor got confused. It's ridiculous attempt to be politically correct.

Ya ... but then there's people like me: I'm "Irish" on the passport front, but a migrant 'cos I was born and grew up elsewhere. So I can understand people making the distinction that the article does. and if the editor's bright enough to be an editor, they should have been able to work it out.

FWIW, the article doesn't correlate with my experience: the migrants I know are mostly hard-working achievers, who make damn sure that their kids get a good education. If anything, their kids are under more pressure than Irish kids to study hard, get a tertiary qual and get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Indeed, but there's absolutely no reason the report couldn't have said Irish children and migrant children without any need for qualification which wouldn't have caused any offence or loss of clarity. The use of the term non migrant undoubtedly confused the headline writer as it did me for a moment. I had to think for a moment if it referred to migrants like you who are now Irish citizens. But I'm a bit thick being a non migrant and all. ;)

I also agree that the children of immigrants do tend to do better than Irish kids and if they are at a disadvantage it's because they are clustered in schools set up in new or poorer areas and not specifically because their parents are migrants. We all know that certain schools are better than others when it comes to both education and numbers going to college and all too often the location of the school is what determines it's ethos. People tend to go to school where they live for the most part. Of course we all know of people who get their kids into certain schools even though they don't even live in Galway. The government is clamping down on that now though.

If anything I would think that high achieving migrant children in a less well regarded school might in fact prove the report wrong in the long run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement