Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sugar free treats

Options
  • 20-03-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I have recently been trying to give up sugarry sweets drinks and chocolate as I was eating way too much. Finding it hardest in the evening with a cup of tea, any recommendation of places around dublin city centre that sell fresh sugar free treats , I am not much of a baker

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved from Cakes & Bakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

redrainbow wrote: »
    Hi, I have recently been trying to give up sugarry sweets drinks and chocolate as I was eating way too much. Finding it hardest in the evening with a cup of tea, any recommendation of places around dublin city centre that sell fresh sugar free treats , I am not much of a baker

Your local Fruit and Veg Shop.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Cornucopia on Wicklow St sell freshly baked sugar-free cakes - they use agave instead of sugar, so they are still sweetened.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Cornucopia on Wicklow St sell freshly baked sugar-free cakes - they use agave instead of sugar, so they are still sweetened.

Agave is just as bad I thought? Full of processed gloop! I would try a health food store and ask for something that is sugar free and not too processed. Or you could ask in a bakery that looks like they would have a healthy option. I would say most big bakeries so sugar free what with so many people having diabetes its a big seller..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

If you really want to stop the sugary snacks, I feel ya got to give up the late night cuppa......Its an association thing. Like the social smoker who want a smoke when someone mentions a pint........I was an awful one for biscuits and cakes, So much so my blood sugars where off the charts........Had a big change in thinking......in the evening now I'll have a sliced up pepper with some homous or a bowl of nuts.....sounds pretentious, as Treat now or for the sweet buzz I have a piece of 70% Gren and Black Chocolate.I know it sounds boring as hell but, its amazing how you can find pleasures in other flavours. Sugary snacks leave you craving more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP just Dont eat anything with sugar for a few weeks including fruit and normal fat milk. You are craving sugar like a smoker craves a cigarette as sugar is proven to be addictive. Once your blood sugars start to become regular you won't crave sweet things.

You probably don't believe me. But the fact you are craving sweet things after being full from a dinner shows that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Holland and Barrett do a nice range of sugar-free chocolate and sweets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

uch wrote: »
    Your local Fruit and Veg Shop.

Fruit is also full of sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 redrainbow

great, thanks for the replies, i have been replacing my snack urges with fruit, sufar free yougarts and nuts at the moment, looks like thats not going to help me over come my sugar addiction tho! Its harder than I thought, I was getting dizzy moody and headaches!I have moved onto green tea now so not feeling the craving for a snack as much in the evening with that. Its been nearly 3 weeks without chocolate, I will try some bakeries for sugar free treats for the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

loyatemu wrote: »
    Fruit is also full of sugar.

Not Processed sugar though, also if you read OP it says "trying to give up sugarry sweets drinks and chocolate as I was eating way too much"

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

great, thanks for the replies, i have been replacing my snack urges with fruit, sufar free yougarts and nuts at the moment, looks like thats not going to help me over come my sugar addiction tho! Its harder than I thought, I was getting dizzy moody and headaches!I have moved onto green tea now so not feeling the craving for a snack as much in the evening with that. Its been nearly 3 weeks without chocolate, I will try some bakeries for sugar free treats for the weekends
    i

Its very tough givong up anything you have become accustomed to. Fruit is a better alternative, and while, as already stated, is full of sugars, These sugars known as Fructose are easilier metabolised by the body than refined sugars you find in cakes and chocolate etc.
    If you combine your fruit intake with Protien, Lets say an apple with a handfull of Almonds delays the sugar release into the system reducing the spikes and subsequently the Cravings.
    As a side be very careful of drinks and snacks that are sugar free! The replacement ingredients are often as harmful.....Diet Coke as an example.

Give it time and dont beat your self up over it. Explore new foods and combinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I think it's great that you've changed to green tea and that's reducing your need for a biscuit.
    I don't drink any caffeine after 6pm so I drink fruit teas in the evening, it's a little sweet hit on it's own! You can pick up loads of lovely ones now, both in proper tea shops and your local supermarket or health food shop, couldn't recommend highly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Surely any sugar-free bakery treats will still be sweetened with something and therefore self defeating. Why not try some cheese and crackers if you need a nibble?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

The best sweets to have with tea are medjoola dates! Seriously, they taste like caramel :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

rawn wrote: »
    The best sweets to have with tea are medjoola dates! Seriously, they taste like caramel :-)

Where can you get them?

Where can you get them?

Most supermarkets. They come in a flat pack so they stand out. I got some in Tesco last week. So delish. I'm on a detox and really missing sweets but they're like natures sweets :D

Some ideas for snacks I'm using since I'm off it too:
    *slices of apple with a nut butter spread on top,
    *Vegetable crisps: try slicing some sweet potato, beetroot and parsnip very thin and fry in butter until it twists and crisps on a med-high heat
    You can buy veg crisps in lidl/aldi one or the alternatively
    *Dried fruit like banana figs or raisins
    *Homemade ice cream: blend banana and peanut butter / mango / berries and yogurt and freeze, take out of freezer next morn, reblend and re freeze ready to eat that evening.
    *Mango parfait: blend a mango with some honey, layer in a glass with natural yogurt, add toasted coconut to the top (you can buy dessicated coconut most places I toast mine in muffin tins with some coconut oil under a grill, keeping a close eye)
    * homemade sweet nut butter, put any mix of nuts with raisins into a food processor and blend for approx half an hour scraping down the sides every 5 mins for even consistency. I use 100g almonds, 80g mix nuts and raisins. Add some butter if consistency is too thick after 35mins.
    * raw cold presssed honey I get one called organic forest honey from health food store.

arf91 wrote: »
    Some ideas for snacks I'm using since I'm off it too:
    *slices of apple with a nut butter spread on top,
    *Vegetable crisps: try slicing some sweet potato, beetroot and parsnip very thin and fry in butter until it twists and crisps on a med-high heat
    You can buy veg crisps in lidl/aldi one or the alternatively
    *Dried fruit like banana figs or raisins
    *Homemade ice cream: blend banana and peanut butter / mango / berries and yogurt and freeze, take out of freezer next morn, reblend and re freeze ready to eat that evening.
    *Mango parfait: blend a mango with some honey, layer in a glass with natural yogurt, add toasted coconut to the top (you can buy dessicated coconut most places I toast mine in muffin tins with some coconut oil under a grill, keeping a close eye)
    * homemade sweet nut butter, put any mix of nuts with raisins into a food processor and blend for approx half an hour scraping down the sides every 5 mins for even consistency. I use 100g almonds, 80g mix nuts and raisins. Add some butter if consistency is too thick after 35mins.
    * raw cold presssed honey I get one called organic forest honey from health food store.

Also meant to say a tsp ground mix spice or cinnamon to the nut butter

If you have a really good food processor, try blending frozen bananas with maple syrup, pecan butter and some vanilla powder. Better than ice-cream!

You can add more fruits to it, as long as bananas are the bulk of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Nut are nearly 100% fat and therefore are nearly 700kcals per 100grams. Honey is nearly 100 sugar and as is most fruits eg dates(a little fiber). OP unless you cut out sweets 100 percent, you are replacing one sugar based item for another sugar based item (doesnt matter if you think its health, A sugar is a sugar eg honey) or replacing a sugar with a fat based product eg peanut butter.

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »
    Nut are nearly 100% fat and therefore are nearly 700kcals per 100grams. Honey is nearly 100 sugar and as is most fruits eg dates(a little fiber). OP unless you cut out sweets 100 percent, you are replacing one sugar based item for another sugar based item (doesnt matter if you think its health, A sugar is a sugar eg honey) or replacing a sugar with a fat based product eg peanut butter.

Not true. Sugar in sweets are refined, processed sugars. Natural sugars are healthy. In granulated sugars the glucose and fructose are bonded together. In honey they're separate. Fructose doesn't convert to energy very fast like glucose does. Processed foods that contain high amounts of fructose will be converted to fat more easily than honey. Honey is also full or antioxidants. One teaspoon of sugar has about 16 calories, and one teaspoon of honey has about 22 calories. Honey does have more calories, but it's sweeter, so you use less. Honey is absorbed more slowly so it doesn't spike your blood sugar levels and cause you to overeat like processed sugar does.

TL/DR, honey and sugar are totally different things and shouldn't be lumped into one category.

The fats in nuts are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, so they help lower your LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. But fats are really important for our diets and it is unhealthy to cut them out completely. A handful a day (raw, unsalted, uncoated) is plenty. Their nutritional benefits far outweigh their fat content. Plus they fill you up really quickly, so you're less likely to reach for a packet of crisps or a chocolate bar.

TL/DR, nuts = awesome, just don't overdo it.

hfallada wrote: »

Yes that why you only have a small serving at a time and honey is ok the odd time if you really can't live without sugar it has other health benefits when you get the good stuff. Nuts aren't bad though they have the essential fats and she wanted to know about treats if I remember correct.

rawn wrote: »
    Not true. Sugar in sweets are refined, processed sugars. Natural sugars are healthy. In granulated sugars the glucose and fructose are bonded together. In honey they're separate. Fructose doesn't convert to energy very fast like glucose does. Processed foods that contain high amounts of fructose will be converted to fat more easily than honey. Honey is also full or antioxidants. One teaspoon of sugar has about 16 calories, and one teaspoon of honey has about 22 calories. Honey does have more calories, but it's sweeter, so you use less. Honey is absorbed more slowly so it doesn't spike your blood sugar levels and cause you to overeat like processed sugar does.

TL/DR, honey and sugar are totally different things and shouldn't be lumped into one category.

The fats in nuts are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, so they help lower your LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. But fats are really important for our diets and it is unhealthy to cut them out completely. A handful a day (raw, unsalted, uncoated) is plenty. Their nutritional benefits far outweigh their fat content. Plus they fill you up really quickly, so you're less likely to reach for a packet of crisps or a chocolate bar.

TL/DR, nuts = awesome, just don't overdo it.

Didn't see your comment, explained far more eloquently than mine!

Advertisement