Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Colour Sound Festival - Shankhill Castle - Kilkenny - 4th & 5th July 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lala_Moore

Cheers P Malone seen there reply

dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip Dammit, now I'm all angry!!! This is why I avoid reading anything ever! D

dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip We're not in the habit of commenting on Festivals business practises, especially on public forums, it's damaging to them & us.
    What I will say is this, we are not divas, we had worries about very basic things & the festival did nothing to help us. It was not until we actually pulled the show and announced it that the festival suddenly decided to communicate with us.
    We have given promoters a lot of faith over the years, we've pulled 6 shows total in 8 years, 2 of those were swine flu, one a dead laptop, one pip lost his voice. We've played some downright awful, shambolic, sometimes terrifying gigs, but always turned up & played to our best. So believe me, we had good reason to cancel, and those reasons won't be whatever bull**** was floating around the site.
    Dan

Also It is slander if you have no proof or should I say defamation of character really, maybe slander is a strong term, all I know now there probably wont have been burnt, that's all I ll say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Well I take everything back now. They're obviously just pampered prima donnas.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

I'm sorry. You're basing your FACTS on how disappointed you perceived people to be over the weekend?

DvP

How did they blame volunteers here?

Dude, relax. I used the word Fact once and it was a poor choice. Poor word choices happen. Ive been quite clear that this is all based on my observation and understanding.

I've also specifically tried to keep my tone not personal, I am sorry if it came across that way. Honestly.

Right, I've been weighing in my observations, not in an attempt to invalidate DvPs reason for pulling out, which reading their fb reply they seem to think I'm doing. It's just people jumped to the conclusion it was a payment issue and what I was very very badly trying to say was: I really very strongly don't think it is based on x, y, z.

Why I thought they were divas was the way they replied to a lot of disappointed fans, not in a private message, but openly; 'it's in the festivals hands, you'll have to ask LCS, etc.' this paints everyone involved in the festival in a really bad light and undermines their 'we don't comment on festival business because it's bad for them and us' attitude

If it were me I would have announced it totally differently with a completely different tone. Even the 'catastrophic' comment seems to me unnecessary and diva-y/douchey and I think that's ok for me to have that opinion of how they handled it and for it to colour my opinion of their characters, even their reply to Paul has made me rethink my opinion of them and something along those lines seems to me would have been a less harsh way to let people know that shi+t went wrong.

That's all I was trying to say, I'm sorry I didn't get it right, did I do a better job this time? :/ I definitely fell into the keyboard crusader trap. :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

OK .. really enough ... lets all just get along ... After all "DLSVSP ... They're just a band!" ;)

Group hug?

changes subject* :)

• Advertisement

Dude, relax. I used the word Fact once and it was a poor choice. Poor word choices happen. Ive been quite clear that this is all based on my observation and understanding.

I've also specifically tried to keep my tone not personal, I am sorry if it came across that way. Honestly.

Right, I've been weighing in my observations, not in an attempt to invalidate DvPs reason for pulling out, which reading their fb reply they seem to think I'm doing. It's just people jumped to the conclusion it was a payment issue and what I was very very badly trying to say was: I really very strongly don't think it is based on x, y, z.

Why I thought they were divas was the way they replied to a lot of disappointed fans, not in a private message, but openly; 'it's in the festivals hands, you'll have to ask LCS, etc.' this paints everyone involved in the festival in a really bad light and undermines their 'we don't comment on festival business because it's bad for them and us' attitude

If it were me I would have announced it totally differently with a completely different tone. Even the 'catastrophic' comment seems to me unnecessary and diva-y/douchey and I think that's ok for me to have that opinion of how they handled it and for it to colour my opinion of their characters, even their reply to Paul has made me rethink my opinion of them and something along those lines seems to me would have been a less harsh way to let people know that shi+t went wrong.

That's all I was trying to say, I'm sorry I didn't get it right, did I do a better job this time? :/ I definitely fell into the keyboard crusader trap. :s

I've no problem with your opinion. IT's what you were trying to pass off as fact that bothered me. At no point did they mention volunteers or anything else you were trying to add to the debate. It's quite obvious they mean the festival organisers.

Lala_Moore wrote: »
    Cheers P Malone seen there reply

dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip Dammit, now I'm all angry!!! This is why I avoid reading anything ever! D

dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip We're not in the habit of commenting on Festivals business practises, especially on public forums, it's damaging to them & us.
    What I will say is this, we are not divas, we had worries about very basic things & the festival did nothing to help us. It was not until we actually pulled the show and announced it that the festival suddenly decided to communicate with us.
    We have given promoters a lot of faith over the years, we've pulled 6 shows total in 8 years, 2 of those were swine flu, one a dead laptop, one pip lost his voice. We've played some downright awful, shambolic, sometimes terrifying gigs, but always turned up & played to our best. So believe me, we had good reason to cancel, and those reasons won't be whatever bull**** was floating around the site.
    Dan

Also It is slander if you have no proof or should I say defamation of character really, maybe slander is a strong term, all I know now is there not the only ones who have been burnt that's all I ll say!!

Is that from FB? You got a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭pmalone

Is that from FB? You got a link?

/lesacvspip/posts/607202549386972
    i cant post links cos am under the threshold :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I was at this festival too, and while it was a bit of a slow burner, by Saturday the crowds really picked up. Kila had 6-800 dancing their socks off in the sun, ASIWYFA drew a massive crowd too at the other end of the night and also discovered some new smaller bands (like The Bagels).

It seems like the week or two leading up to the gig was fairly rocky for the organisers. Poor marketing must have led to poor sales. Some cancellations (Pip & the childrens activities that others mentioned), and there was no communication of late changes (can't bring your own booze into arena after all); particularly on the stage-times. There was no-where on site to get any information about current running times. It really was a lucky dip walking up to some stages. Even a big blackboard at each stage would have done the trick.

The layout of the arena was a bit confusing, particularly the 'faraway' stage as people got to calling it. Maybe that was changed at the last minute?

Safety was great, security seemed sound, production quality (once the bands finally got on stage) was high and I certainly enjoyed myself a lot.

My missus took a set of photos there for Goldenplec, if anyone wants to scan through the album it's on https://www.facebook.com/MichelleGeraghtyPhotography

My personal favourites from the album are:

10542713_740482242685728_1327060810815682492_o.jpg
    The Raglans

10397195_740484162685536_6780061292725400376_o.jpg
    Jerry Fish

10535620_740488889351730_1009027639539093043_o.jpg
    King Kong Company

53736_740497099350909_4689812394212804970_o.jpg
    Whelans Tent

10448580_740503489350270_1656835213791854783_o.jpg
    Wallis Bird

10547911_740507032683249_877675399207139514_o.jpg
    ASIWYFA

Danger Fourpence Its on there dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip as a post on there wall.

edanto your missus is some photographer!!!

• Advertisement

edanto wrote: »
    I was at this festival too, and while it was a bit of a slow burner, by Saturday the crowds really picked up. Kila had 6-800 dancing their socks off in the sun, ASIWYFA drew a massive crowd too at the other end of the night and also discovered some new smaller bands (like The Bagels).

It seems like the week or two leading up to the gig was fairly rocky for the organisers. Poor marketing must have led to poor sales. Some cancellations (Pip & the childrens activities that others mentioned), and there was no communication of late changes (can't bring your own booze into arena after all); particularly on the stage-times. There was no-where on site to get any information about current running times. It really was a lucky dip walking up to some stages. Even a big blackboard at each stage would have done the trick.

The layout of the arena was a bit confusing, particularly the 'faraway' stage as people got to calling it. Maybe that was changed at the last minute?

Safety was great, security seemed sound, production quality (once the bands finally got on stage) was high and I certainly enjoyed myself a lot.

My missus took a set of photos there for Goldenplec, if anyone wants to scan through the album it's on https://www.facebook.com/MichelleGeraghtyPhotography

My personal favourites from the album are:

10542713_740482242685728_1327060810815682492_o.jpg
    The Raglans

10397195_740484162685536_6780061292725400376_o.jpg
    Jerry Fish

10535620_740488889351730_1009027639539093043_o.jpg
    King Kong Company

53736_740497099350909_4689812394212804970_o.jpg
    Whelans Tent

10448580_740503489350270_1656835213791854783_o.jpg
    Wallis Bird

10547911_740507032683249_877675399207139514_o.jpg
    ASIWYFA

There's some genuinely beautiful ones there! Was she the only female photog there out of interest? I think I remember seeing a lady photographer at the barrier for Overhead, but didn't see any photos for me to casually stalk them over ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

I was there, and it was absolutely great craic.

Yeah, it was a bummer that Sac'n'Pip pulled out (I don't think anyone actually gave a sh!te once everyone was there it was never mentioned), it was a bit too big/too many acts for the first time, and the stage times being all over the place was a nuisance for a lot of people, but f*ck it, it was soooooo much fuuuuuun!!! And isn't that what we're all there for really? :)

The crowd was amazing, the vibe was great, there were so many savage random acts that no-one had heard of before, and it was massive amounts of craic!

Here's a great video (soundtracked by RSAG) that might give some flavour of what it was like: http://vimeo.com/100063952

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

https://twitter.com/HALVESband/status/497096218552848384
    Hey @LCSFESTIVAL its pretty bad you didn't pay bands their fees & deleted all criticism, but volunteers' deposits aren't being paid? Foul..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Really bad form so and can see the festival not returning next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Its a real shame cos it was one of the ones I looked at this year with regret that I wasn't going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Oh dear. Please tell me they're not ripping off their volunteers. Has this been confirmed?

I was really hoping LCS would happen next year, but obviously pi$$ing off your core volunteer crew looks like lights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Some friends of mine who played at this festival have told me that the cheque LCS gave to pay them has bounced twice. To this date they haven't been paid, so that tallies with what other bands are experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

And it's not like they're going to get another injection of cash into their bank account, so I wouldn't hold my breath for the remaining bands and volunteers waiting to get paid.

It is a shame because it looked like they were trying something that would have been really positive for the area, but they bit more than they could chew for their first year.

Two stages would have been more than enough (it looks like they had five), along with their family and art attractions. Would have been easier for them to manage and tickets would have been cheaper.

Looks like they've done a good enough job of this themselves.

Did you get your deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

What an awful shambles of a festival. Should be ashamed of themselves, those responsible should be named and shamed

• Advertisement

Looks like they've done a good enough job of this themselves.

Did you get your deposit?

Yeah, I really wish they'd just be open about all the adminy stuff in in the background. Cause even if the finances have gone tits up (I don't know one way or the other) at least people will know they're doing their best to get the bands paid (I'm assuming the best of their nature)

Yup, got my deposit, as did all the other volunteers. I got mine fairly much straight away because the lads had my contact details. There was confusion because they used Eventbrite to collect the deposits but then EFT'd deposits direct to our accounts. Admin delays I guess, I dunno.

I have also been told that bands have been asked for a grace period which hasn't yet passed. :pac: I'm hoping for all involved that all comes good. I will be so disappointed if that's not the case.

My guess is they were hoping to pay those bands with money from takings (I wasn't aware there were bands paid by cheque) which, let's face it, not hard to figure out there wasn't much in the way of takings... :/ If my guess is right this doesn't make them immoral people, rubbing their hands together, vowing not to pay bands; it just means things didn't work out the way they would have hoped.

If my guess is right this doesn't make them immoral people, rubbing their hands together, vowing not to pay bands; it just means things didn't work out the way they would have hoped.

Then they should make a personal loss.
    It's not a 'make money or break even' scenario.

Yeah, I really wish they'd just be open about all the adminy stuff in in the background. Cause even if the finances have gone tits up (I don't know one way or the other) at least people will know they're doing their best to get the bands paid (I'm assuming the best of their nature)

Yup, got my deposit, as did all the other volunteers. I got mine fairly much straight away because the lads had my contact details. There was confusion because they used Eventbrite to collect the deposits but then EFT'd deposits direct to our accounts. Admin delays I guess, I dunno.

I have also been told that bands have been asked for a grace period which hasn't yet passed. :pac: I'm hoping for all involved that all comes good. I will be so disappointed if that's not the case.

My guess is they were hoping to pay those bands with money from takings (I wasn't aware there were bands paid by cheque) which, let's face it, not hard to figure out there wasn't much in the way of takings... :/ If my guess is right this doesn't make them immoral people, rubbing their hands together, vowing not to pay bands; it just means things didn't work out the way they would have hoped.

So would I be correct in saying that you have just as much criticism for Halves as you do for DLS, seeing as Halves have also criticised the festival in public.

Grace period. Pull the other one.

So would I be correct in saying that you have just as much criticism for Halves as you do for DLS, seeing as Halves have also criticised the festival in public.

Nope, the conduct is decidedly different but I'm not going into it again. Go troll elsewhere.

Nope, the conduct is decidedly different but I'm not going into it again. Go troll elsewhere.

Your defence of their actions is decidedly troll like. It's pretty much indefensible.

Check out Jim Carroll's piece today

A troll would be someone who, despite all evidence to the contrary, persists with the same opinion regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You know for a fact that every single one of the volunteers got their deposits back?

All due to be paid were paid in one batch, before the festival. That info is from knowing and talking to bands who got paid and not anyone directly involved. So could be wrong, but *I* doubt it, perhaps naive of me, granted.

This can't still be correct, can it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 BrianHalves

This can't still be correct, can it?

I don't think it is- I've only heard of a very small handful of bands who have been paid. Hope the volunteers have been sorted , hard to check because LCS closed comments on their FB.

Advertisement