Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If You were Building : BER Rating Advice

Options
  • 20-03-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

If you were building a BRAND NEW home, 2 story, 2000sq ft+

What would you make sure was being spec'ed in, to make sure it gets a strong BER rating (low A or high B).

Taking in to consideration the practical COST of the materials/installation, against the running benefits over a few years.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

househero wrote: »
    If you were building a BRAND NEW home, 2 story, 2000sq ft+

What would you make sure was being spec'ed in, to make sure it gets a strong BER rating (low A or high B).

Taking in to consideration the practical COST of the materials/installation, against the running benefits over a few years.

baseline minimum building regulation standards at the moment are low A's or high B's.....

a "strong" BER would be A2 upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

sydthebeat wrote: »
    baseline minimum building regulation standards at the moment are low A's or high B's.....

a "strong" BER would be A2 upwards.

So what would you be costing in to your build to achieve a high rating?

So what would you be costing in to your build to achieve a high rating?

Thats a hugely open question.

I analysis plans and prepare specifications to comply.
    There a myriad of ways to reach whatever rating you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Hi OP get your house designer to check the MPCPC and MPEPC of the building to make sure they meet the current building regulations. You'll find that the cost of the items that need to be included to get to this level will more than likely frighten you out of going any further (i.e getting a better rating) especially on a relatively big one off house.

There are a lot of different items that can be included in your designs to meet the regulations. None of them are cheap!!!

(That might be simplifying it a bit much because when it comes to things like air-tightness good detailing on site costs nothing but time ..... although time is money)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Thats a hugely open question.
    There a myriad of ways to reach whatever rating you want.
    agreed ridiculous broad question, but a fun one
    1. If you were building a BRAND NEW home, 2 story, 2000sq ft+
    2. What would you make sure was being spec'ed in, to make sure it gets a strong BER rating (low A or high B).
    3. Taking in to consideration the practical COST of the materials/installation, against the running benefits over a few years.

1. i would design and limit the 4bed, two storey with living/kitchen/dining/utility to 1500sqft with an absolute min circulation space. a great challenge.
    2. glazed southerly aspect TG 0.8wm2k min, some double height space,simple clean lines, everything completely whitesmile.png,polished concrete floors 0.1w/m2k EPS, oak frame & strawbale or hemplime walls 0.15w/m2k min, slate roof 0.1w/m2k cellulose, with some form of solar array,small pellet boiler(or maybe HP), 1kl thermal store with Ground Floor UFH only and small stylish wood stove to look at.
    3. how many years payback considered in design & costing? id be using the best natural sustainable materials, designing for absolutely zero running costs, hoping to live in it till i die.
    'A1 Sharon' to boast to the neighbours!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Bryan gets it.

Just to be clear, The house is NOT real. Its a 'what would you do' question, balancing building costs with ongoing running costs. If you disagree with somebody else's choice you can suggest a better option, or show that it will not pay off or be inefficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What a "min circulation space".

Bryan gets it.

Just to be clear, The house is NOT real. Its a 'what would you do' question, balancing building costs with ongoing running costs. If you disagree with somebody else's choice you can suggest a better option, or show that it will not pay off or be inefficient.

From this point of view, I
    would build a small dwelling, wide cavity 250mm, standard spec throughout with a high degree of detailing to limit thermal bridges and to ensure excellent air tightness. Triple glazing everywhere.

The jewel in the crown would be a small 15kw ish manual feed wood stove to heat space and hot water. Virtual no expensive heating Controls required. 200 litre highly insulated cylinder, standard rads all trvs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

beauf wrote: »
    What a "min circulation space".

Minimum/ minimise circulation space ie corridors etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ah thanks. I thought it was something to do with head space and moving air. But what you say makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

As the other posters have said (good thermal properties, polished concrete floors, simple stoves etc.) plus I would optimise the sunlight infiltration, around the times of day I'll be in the house, or BBQ'ing out the back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

200 m2.
    4 bed.
    1 ensuite max & 1 main bathroom
    MHRV
    Fewer rooms in toto, but those you have, bigger.
    Monopitch roof.
    Simple plan but better materials.
    Offsite build.
    Simple mechanicals but keeping UFH.
    Room sealed stove/fireplace of some kind.

oh, and, stick to the budget !! Making changes mid-plan is usually the wrong thing to do !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement