Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone ever grow berries in ireland?

• 20-03-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

as its a known super food . id love to try grow some blue berrys . ive recently bought a polly tunnel and am so eager to start .. 14 x 7 and very high quality . guy on adverts from fermanagh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

samsclub wrote: »
    as its a known super food . id love to try grow some blue berrys . ive recently bought a polly tunnel and am so eager to start .. 14 x 7 and very high quality . guy on adverts from fermanagh

BlueBerries (Vaccinium sp)

http://www.garden.ie/howtogrow.aspx?id=993

The key to success with blueberries is to provide the acidic soil conditions, Humus Rich.

Also Plant 3 or more Cultivars, this is for best pollination.

You don't have to plant a the tunnel, They'll grow outside easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

In fact I believe they prefer a cold spell so I wouldn't grow them inside the tunnel. The tunnel is great for early and late strawberries and perpetual types. As well as grapes and certain delicate trees, peach for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

samsclub wrote: »
    This article written by someone who seems to have some practical experience

http://www.garden.ie/howtogrow.aspx?id=993

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

There was blueberry plants in aldi today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Blueberry plants are easy to grow if you have the right soil and need minimal care really other than an occasional feed and water if it gets very dry. We have 6 bushes and get lots of fruit but you will have to make a fruit cage or net them in securely or else the birds will strip every single berry - sometimes in front of your eyes :mad:

It may be a nuisance but its the only way you will get to enjoy the fruit - and the crops can be very very good. We get loads and freeze some too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Adrianno28

You can also buy them in Woodies or nurseries but they are Pretty expensive, well for me anyway! I got two plants last winter for about €25 and they had lots of berries last autumn. I just put them in the ground but the soil he is boggy/acidic so guess why the do well. They are just growing outside , they don't need a tunnel. Happy growing !

Advertisement