Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refuse collections in Maynooth, Whos the best provider?

Options
  • 20-03-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

We will be up there very soon and I was just wondering If anyone could recommend a reliable and reasonable priced refuse company?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thorntons, or McMahons for a year then Thorntons for a year then back as a new customer to McMahons again in a constant cycle if you can be bothered - McMahons often have a decent introductory rate.

I would strongly recommend avoiding AES. In 25+ years in the town I don't think I/parents ever had to call O'Hagans/Oxigen (as contractors for the council) to report a missed lift or other issue but I ended up contacting AES 12 times in 60 weeks of having them.

Thorntons also take a huge amount of stuff in the unweighed recycling bin - far more than others - so, despite usually putting both 240l bins out every two weeks and often quite full, I'm on the lowest price bracket. They charge by your previous years weight, so your first year is always a higher band.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

MYOB wrote: »
    Thorntons, or McMahons for a year then Thorntons for a year then back as a new customer to McMahons again in a constant cycle if you can be bothered - McMahons often have a decent introductory rate.

I would strongly recommend avoiding AES. In 25+ years in the town I don't think I/parents ever had to call O'Hagans/Oxigen (as contractors for the council) to report a missed lift or other issue but I ended up contacting AES 12 times in 60 weeks of having them.

Thorntons also take a huge amount of stuff in the unweighed recycling bin - far more than others - so, despite usually putting both 240l bins out every two weeks and often quite full, I'm on the lowest price bracket. They charge by your previous years weight, so your first year is always a higher band.

I like your way of thinking. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

We've never had any issues with Thorntons. Their newer bins seem to be smaller than the older ones (we have the older ones, our neighbours have the newer ones), and I'm not sure we got a calender with the schedule this year, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    We've never had any issues with Thorntons. Their newer bins seem to be smaller than the older ones (we have the older ones, our neighbours have the newer ones), and I'm not sure we got a calender with the schedule this year, but that's about it.

Available on the website so you can just print it off yourself.

For the OP I use Thorntons. 50e service charge and then per lift charge. Works out cheapest for how we use it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thorntons customer service is awful,we had enough of them. They are the cheapest for pay by weight.
    We have moved to AES and so far we are happy,they text us the night before and take glass as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Thorntons customer service is awful,we had enough of them. They are the cheapest for pay by weight.
    We have moved to AES and so far we are happy,they text us the night before and take glass as well.

Wait till they don't collect your bin and you have to call them.

Never got my glass bin despite paying for it and asking for it, emailing and asking for it, writing and asking for it; etc.

Thorntons also give their customers a discount on skips which I've probably abused more than they'd like at this stage - three so far.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we found another company cheaper for skips:)
    Same with Thorntons if they don't collect your bin they can be a nightmare to deal with and I got ot the stage where I could not face trying to deal with them ever again and paying them money was just painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

AES is also a per-lift charge. Haven't had any problems with them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Mahons are excellent, haven't ever thought about leaving them, my parents use them too, and have done since they started in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Crunchier

I use Thorntons, always found them very good. They missed a collection once and I rang them the next morning, customer service very helpful, found out reason and sent truck back to my house. I pay them per lift plus service €50 per year. Works out less than €200. Very happy with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Went with Thorntons in the end. Doing the €50 per year and then pay per lift. We typically only need to put the bin out every 3 - 4 weeks anyway so it should be perfect for what we want.

Thanks all.

Advertisement