Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil rig cources

Options
  • 20-03-2014 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I was wondering does anyone know of a course to get on the oil rigs, I'm on social welfare at the moment and I was wondering would anyone know of any courses the would be subsidised or low cost as I'm not working and really need to get these done.. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You need an "Offshore Survival Certificate" to be let work on them, I think. Basically a "safecert" for oil rigs.

Place on Cork that may do it; http://www.nmci.ie/seasurvivalfaciliti

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

you will need BOSIET and MIST courses as a minimum, but in all honestly unless you have some sort of expertise or experience working offshore it's almost impossible to get a start, the social would prob help you with part funding but my advise would be to keep your money in your pocket and do something that actually might get you a job in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For what it's worth, was at the jobs expo at Croake Park last Friday. One of the companies was an oil rig safety company (they did the courses), and one site they gave was www.rigcareers.com - may be an idea to check it out, to see if you have any qualifications for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

the_syco wrote: »
    For what it's worth, was at the jobs expo at Croake Park last Friday. One of the companies was an oil rig safety company (they did the courses), and one site they gave was www.rigcareers.com - may be an idea to check it out, to see if you have any qualifications for it?

Seems to be a Nigerian based outfit. To be fair that does not mean there is anything wrong with them. Worked there many times and probably will again.

Here are a few others that may give the OP an idea

www.oilandgasjobsearch.com

www.oilcareers.com

www.rigzone.com

Effective Offshore in Donegal, cover your survival and medical, rigger training and some other stuff. Believe there is some system where they work with FAS/Social welfare. Don't know but the outfit in Cork might do the same.

This is no guarantee of getting work. However, if you have a technical background, its not nearly as difficult to get started as many would have you believe.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Advertisement