Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why your recording equipment is Important!!!

Options
  • 20-03-2014 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey dudes,

Monk from MyMonkTv

I think this thread will be very important for gamers that want to record game-play footage on YouTube , Twitch and other social media websites.

Ever wonder why the big commentators never reveal anything that made them so famous. Well im going to tell you , and you can ask any questions below.

My gaming setup for Youtube and Twitch is as follows.

So for people to actually get enjoyment out of my videos, the viewers want a voice behind the controller. Now you can use any old mic laying around the house to produce a commentary for your gameplay.However if you want a real good quality sound for your gameplay then this is the mic for you

RODE PODCASTER

Podcaster is a dynamic,USB microphone that combines broadcast-quality audio with the simplicity of USB connectivity, allowing recording direct to a computer without the need for an additional digital interface. Its clean and theres no wire confusion. just Youtube it and you won't be let down

I also purchased with it the Studio Arm clamp and Shock Mount for maximum quality along with a pop filter

Cost 305.90 with accessories

Now that you have sound, you need something that will record your gameplay

There are two capture cards i have

HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition
    And
    Elgato Hd Capture

Both very good and both priced around the 160-180 mark

What are you going to watch your footage on ?

This is a BIG thing for me,

now alot of gamers reading this will be playing on there TV'S

DONT !!!

if you want ulta fast 1ms response time for COD and FIFA and need for speed so on, you need a GAMING MONITOR i have two that i use.

Asus Gaming Monitor 27 inch 1ms Response time
    Or
    BenQ Gaming Monitor 27inch 1ms response time

roughly $280-500

you will just notice the difference from your big plasma that have over 16ms response time to the 1ms response time , buying a gaming monitor will increase your gameplay alot

Okay so your going to be doing alot with the Computer you use to Upload your youtube videos stream on Twitch and render your videos using Sony vegas with fast impact and no slowness.

Editing Software

Song Vegas pro 12

There are a million and one ways to get it , again just youtube it

You need a Desktop Computer not a laptop

Computer with

over 2.7 Ghz
    8Gb over over 16Gb recommended
    i5 OR i7 QUAD core processor

£500-900

these are really your main needs when looking at buying a computer for gaming use.

What console to use....

It really doesnt matter

I have both Xbox1 and PS4 , i like them both, i favor the Xbox1 at present however

so thats it guys

Rode Podcaster
    Gaming Monitor 1MS RESPONSE TIME HDMI
    Hd Pvr 2 Gaming Edition / Elgato Hd Capture Card
    Xbox1/PS4
    fast reliable computer
    Sony Vegas Pro 12

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ooook...

You definitely do NOT need to spend that much money on mikes. I have a professional grade set of commentary headphones with mikes of the quality live sports commentary are done with for that price. You do NOT need something of that cost for recording in your bedroom. Get yourself one of those blue snowball thingies.

I record gaming tournaments on a laptop all the time- using xsplit and a combination of the avermedia LGP (better than either of the devices mentioned) and a PVR 2. WHILE streaming.

If the person who wrote that wanted to be helpful they could have given settings rather than mention a load of expensive gear.

Oh and I paid sub 200 quid for my lagless monitor, but tbh unless you're an actual competitive gamer you might not even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MyMonkTv

i never said you had to use that mic, all im saying is , that its the best on the market, Blue Yeti is a good mic, however if you want quality like everyone else you see on youtube and twitch follow these because nobody makes it on cheap equipment.

Gaming monitor is what the best gamers in the world use.

MyMonkTv wrote: »
    i never said you had to use that mic, all im saying is , that its the best on the market, Blue Yeti is a good mic, however if you want quality like everyone else you see on youtube and twitch follow these because nobody makes it on cheap equipment.

Gaming monitor is what the best gamers in the world use.

No, I'm sorry but that's incorrect. A blue yeti gives fine quality. I'm not only a video maker but a musician. Get a pop guard and it's fine.

I'm also afraid you're quite wrong why these people make it. They make it because of personality, or quality of editing, or humour, or lately because of a refusal to just play the same old AAA+ shooters. Go back and look how crappy the early AVGN videos look. Quality equipment is just icing on the cake. Bear in mind I'm someone who has all the gear they're talking about.. In fact I have better, for example I use a mixing desk to ensure the quality of my extremely expensive mikes.

As for the "gaming" (you mean lagless) monitor, yes, I know all about them. I'm a competitive gamer and have lost fights because of laggy monitors. I've been at tournaments where I could detect the lag on a character select screen.
    However, they will have virtually no impact on the quality of a video for youtube unless you're someone who's trying to demonstrate frame perfect strategies in games or you have an exceptionally poor tv. Getting an expensive monitor simply for the prospect of making YT videos doesn't make sense. Getting one because you want a silky smooth gaming experience DOES make sense.

I'm not trying to be mean here, I genuinely think this is bad- and very expensive- advice for a new person. They should work on the quality of their ideas, scripts, and gameplay before spending upwards of a couple of grand of equipment.

Blue yeti is not better than the Rode Podcaster . So don't try to say it is. HOWEVER blue yeti is great mic. if you watch twitch, Podcaster and Yeti are dominated on them streams. just because your a musician doesn't really mean anything.

all you have done in this post is talk about the mic, yet you haven't addressed anything else i've said. Gaming monitor is for GAMING, why buy a television which what alot of people do to just play games which is so unknown that people can actually buy gaming monitors and the best are the Asus gaming monitors and BenQ.. these are just what i use i never said they were the best, however they are what alot of popular gamers use and gamers that are also in competitive gaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Blue yeti is not better than the Rode Podcaster . So don't try to say it is. HOWEVER blue yeti is great mic. if you watch twitch, Podcaster and Yeti are dominated on them streams. just because your a musician doesn't really mean anything.

all you have done in this post is talk about the mic, yet you haven't addressed anything else i've said. Gaming monitor is for GAMING, why buy a television which what alot of people do to just play games which is so unknown that people can actually buy gaming monitors and the best are the Asus gaming monitors and BenQ.. these are just what i use i never said they were the best, however they are what alot of popular gamers use and gamers that are also in competitive gaming

I know your talking about recording console gameplay and this is just my opinion but I imagine most streamers/youtubers cant afford to buy the best equipment or even a capture card.
    A lot of people stream and record without a capture card using obs/dxtory/xsplit on budget gaming rigs and the sound and video quality is fine as long as they have a half decent mic, some editing ability and most importantly make entertaining content!
    I checked out your youtube channel as well to see how good the quality of your recordings were but you have no videos.

• Advertisement

all you have done in this post is talk about the mic, yet you haven't addressed anything else i've said.

Ok sir, this is all on you :) One by one.
    Ever wonder why the big commentators never reveal anything that made them so famous. Well im going to tell you , and you can ask any questions below.

Who are you exactly to be saying this? Because I know people who've channels many times the size of mine and they'll openly share info with me (one even occasionally MAKES videos for my channel).
    Rode podcaster shilling, 300 euro etc

Or you can get a much cheaper solution that will probably sound very similar after being encoded by YouTube. I've a good ear for sound. Why? Because I'm a musician (Keep this in mind it'll come back up).
    HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition
    And
    Elgato Hd Capture

Both very good and both priced around the 160-180 mark

I've used both of these and the Avermedia LGP is currently a better recording solution than either. More options and features, smaller than a coke can, analogue audio input if you want to commentate directly through the device, and can record to an SD card.
    if you want ulta fast 1ms response time for COD and FIFA and need for speed so on, you need a GAMING MONITOR i have two that i use.

Asus Gaming Monitor 27 inch 1ms Response time
    Or
    BenQ Gaming Monitor 27inch 1ms response time

roughly $280-500

Oh hey this would be one of the things I addressed directly:
    No, I'm sorry but that's incorrect.

As for the "gaming" (you mean lagless) monitor, yes, I know all about them. I'm a competitive gamer and have lost fights because of laggy monitors. I've been at tournaments where I could detect the lag on a character select screen.
    However, they will have virtually no impact on the quality of a video for youtube unless you're someone who's trying to demonstrate frame perfect strategies in games or you have an exceptionally poor tv. Getting an expensive monitor simply for the prospect of making YT videos doesn't make sense. Getting one because you want a silky smooth gaming experience DOES make sense.

I'm not trying to be mean here, I genuinely think this is bad- and very expensive- advice for a new person. They should work on the quality of their ideas, scripts, and gameplay before spending upwards of a couple of grand of equipment.

Editing Software

Song Vegas pro 12

There are a million and one ways to get it , again just youtube it

You need a Desktop Computer not a laptop

Or a beginner could just get a copy of OBS or XSPLIT and make really easy quick lets plays. Of course, if you knew WHY you were suggesting a HD PVR 2 you'd know that it does a lot of processing on the device and sends a compressed signal so doesn't require some powerhouse desktop. That's straight up misinformation. Once again, I record live streamed tournaments all the time on a laptop.

I never said it was better, I said there's no point in suggesting expensive gear to new video makers, and then suggested what they should concentrate on. I also pointed out here why being a musician is relevant. YouTube hurts my ears :)

No offence, but who are you? I'm saying this because I'm a competitive gamer. You don't get to lecture me on what they do. I'm a competitive gamer and I'm saying unless someone needs one for a specific reason and they're currently happy with the screen they're using it is yet another unneeded expense.

Anyway, the actual point of my post was this:
    I'm also afraid you're quite wrong why these people make it. They make it because of personality, or quality of editing, or humour, or lately because of a refusal to just play the same old AAA+ shooters. Go back and look how crappy the early AVGN videos look. Quality equipment is just icing on the cake. Bear in mind I'm someone who has all the gear they're talking about.. In fact I have better, for example I use a mixing desk to ensure the quality of my extremely expensive mikes.

Your looking at the cheap option, i understand. sorry to hear that your so tight on actually buying quality.

RopeDrink

thats fair enough, i understand what your saying. Thanks for the input..

Your looking at the cheap option, i understand. sorry to hear that your so tight on actually buying quality.

I have 2 sennheiser HMD-280s with condesor mikes, a blackmagic intensity shuttle Hauppauge HD PVR 2 and avermedia LGP, HDCP stripper and component/ HDMI splitters and converters, Audio shuttle 8 channel mixing desk, 720p microsoft webcam and 2 360 p ones, a quad core i7 laptop with 16gb of ram and an SSD all with a nice lagless Dell monitor. PRoviding the Irish fighting game community with streams and videos has been a hobby of mine for 4 years now and I look upgrading all the time. Here's a diagram I made of my recording set up.

S9dFOxkl.jpg

This isn't about being cheap, it's about giving good advice to new people, and telling them to spend loads of cash before they've decided who or what they want to be doesn't make sense.

sounds like alot of messing around lad

• Advertisement

you've just named out the equipment you have, which sounds all well and everything but there is no addressing anything you said there, Thats your equipment and it works for you, but your equipment seem very difficult to me so what are you suggesting?

what i have is very straight forward and easy to use, theres no hassle ?

I'm not tying to be a pri*k but you came on very strong in your first reply and made what was MY opinion seem very little and wrong.

Oh and without the clamp and shock mount the podcaster is 166 euro so thats not alot to spend..

Advertisement