Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provisional License issued in 2007

• 20-03-2014 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

What bike can i drive with a Provisional in all the A categories?

I found out today that this is the license i have. Never drove a bike before but have a full car license which has no moped on it apparently.

What does that entitle me to drive and whats the difference between me and someone who is just getting a License ?

Confused.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Well, that provisional licence would have expired in 2009..... Check the actual expiry date too, because if it's any date before today, you have to start from the start as it cannot be renewed. So right now, it entitles you to drive nothing.... if you can renew it, it will be as an A2 Learner Permit(though I could be wrong), which will allow you to ride bikes up to a maximum of 35kw.

The difference between you and someone starting from scratch if you CAN renew it, is that you don't have to complete IBT, but I HIGHLY recommend you do. (At least I think you don't....) And since I presume you are over 24, you could go for the A Category Learner Permit, do IBT and be entitled to ride any bike you can get insured on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Its definitely renewable alright as i went in today to get a full car license and they said i qualify for a provisional A, A1, A2 and AM bike license. Thats what boxes they said i should tick anyway. I asked does a full car entitle me to a moped and they said not anymore Fairly sure i dont have to do the IBT aswell as it didnt lapse by 5 years.

So its definitely A, A1, A2 and AM provisional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Media999 wrote: »
    Its definitely renewable alright as i went in today to get a full car license and they said i qualify for a provisional A, A1, A2 and AM bike license. Thats what boxes they said i should tick anyway. I asked does a full car entitle me to a moped and they said not anymore Fairly sure i dont have to do the IBT aswell as it didnt lapse by 5 years.

So its definitely A, A1, A2 and AM provisional.

You would not have to do IBT before riding a bike or taking a test for category 'AM', A1, or 'A2' but would have to complete IBT modules 1,3,5 to make your 'A' learner permit valid.

Roadcraft wrote: »
    You would not have to do IBT before riding a bike or taking a test for category 'AM', A1, or 'A2' but would have to complete IBT modules 1,3,5 to make your 'A' learner permit valid.

Thanks for the info.

Ive no interest in anything more than maybe a 125 for now as im just starting. Liberty insure me no problem on any bike it seems. If i stick with a 125 is there any other restrictions apart from just do a test every year?

Thanks for the info.

Ive no interest in anything more than maybe a 125 for now as im just starting. Liberty insure me no problem on any bike it seems. If i stick with a 125 is there any other restrictions apart from just do a test every year?

If you get a category 'A1' bike, max 125cc, 11kw there are no other licence restrictions & you could apply for a test straight away as it will be you second permit so you will not have to wait for six months.

You could also go for a bigger bike if you like as you also will have your 'A2' permit.

• Advertisement

When you say bigger bike could it be a 250 unrestricted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yep... You could.

That said, if you've never really done much on a bike before and you've no friends who are damn good bikers (with rider to rider comms) I'd advise you do IBT, it's cheap for what it is, and allows you far more options.

Yes, or a 400, 500 or 600 restricted.

Advertisement