Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav for Oz

Options
  • 20-03-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi can anyone recommend a good sat Nav for Australia does it matter whether its Tom Tom or not ???

dont know whether to buy it here preloaded with the oz map or just buy it over there.

any help ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Navman and Garmin are good I have both, although I now use the iPhone more these days.

GPS are dirt cheap, $100 will get you something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Garmin is a better satnav. I've a Navman MY150 and it crashes/freezes a lot and the map updates aren't free, unlike Garmin which are free I think.

You can get NavFree Australia for your smartphone or I've got an app called CoPilot which downloads the maps you need to your phone via wifi (several hundred Mb's) and then uses the aGPS chip in your phone, so it works even when you don't have any coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I bought a Tom Tom xxl540 for $120 in Harvey Normans, there are a few big electrical shops and you can check their prices online, the Navman, and Garmin are pretty cheap aswell,
    We rented a satnav with our camper and it cost $100 for 2 weeks and it wasn't updated so you are way better off just buying one,
    We resold it in 2 days on Gumtree for $65 so you won't lose much,

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

We have a TomTom which works fine but to honest we just Google Maps on the iPhones more these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Used a Garmin Nuvi in Melbourne and it works fine, it's the entry level c. $100 model.

So fun using it in WA as well: "in 1200kms turn right onto.....".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

steer clear of the navman, i have previously had a garmin nuvi and it was a much better unit than the navman. totally sick of the navman, going to bin it soon and get a tomtom. had one in a rental car a few weeks ago and really liked it.

Advertisement