Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying meat in bulk

Options
  • 20-03-2014 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Everyone

There are a bunch of us in the office who will be keen to buy meat in bulk, half a cow, whole lamb, pork, etc ... and divide the meat amongst us.

We are also looking for unusual stuff like offal, rabbits, pigs trotters, beef tongue, tripes, etc ... as some of us come from different parts of the world and would love to cook local recipes.

I am wondering if anyone knew a butcher or farm that could supply us with this kind of stuff. We are based in Galway.

All the best
    Bal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I have seen these guys at the Galway Market. They go direct from farm to sales so I would imagine they could assist.

http://www.castleminefarm.ie/home/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Farmers don't tend to do much butchering because it's so regulated these days so you'd have to find a butcher or co-op/butcher supplier. I'd assume you'd want it cut up unless you have a massive fridge to hang it in.

Apparently rabbits are booming this year, a country gun club might be able to help you get a few.

A good butcher is your best bet for everything bar the rabbits, they can get just about anything it's just we Irish have gotten terribly picky about what cuts we buy so they don't keep things like trotters in stock unless someone is asking for them. We used to have a butcher in town that stocked animals from his farm that he killed himself, it's just getting very rare to find that because of regulations. You can't even kill a chicken these days without the government sticking its oar in.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

If you go to a your local butchers they can normally order in the more unusual meats such as Rabbit or pigeon. I think Pallas Foods effectively have a catalogue that you can order from through the butcher. I've eaten Woodpigeon or Squab which was shot in Wicklow and eaten Rabbit that came from France. I was amazed that we had to import Rabbit from France but as Scumlord mentioned the whole area is highly regulated so that might have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Caribs wrote: »
    I was amazed that we had to import Rabbit from France but as Scumlord mentioned the whole area is highly regulated so that might have something to do with it.
    I don't know if wild rabbit is regulated, domestic animals are all regulated.

If you have any friends living out the country there are plenty of rabbits around, they are basically vermin out here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Chuckieawrlaw

wont happen.too much regulations. A farmer wont give it to you incase it makes u sick and u sue

• Advertisement
Advertisement