Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ruger 10/22

Options
  • 20-03-2014 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm buying a ruger 10/22,, what is the best barrel, stainless steel or blue tk's.phil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I bought a new ruger 10/22T (target) a few years back and was very disappointed with it, the best it would do was about 2inch groups at 50 yards. But i hear the new tactical model with the hogue stock is very accurate.
    If i was going to get a ruger 10/22 again, i'd buy the cheapest secondhand rifle i could, junk the barrel and stock and build my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

tprp226 wrote: »
    I'm buying a ruger 10/22,, what is the best barrel, stainless steel or blue tk's.phil

What are you going to shoot with it. Hunting or targets. And yes the tactical model is very good. BUT first thing to do is junk the trigger and replace it with a KIDD @€;325
    rowa wrote: »
    I bought a new ruger 10/22T (target) a few years back and was very disappointed with it, the best it would do was about 2inch groups at 50 yards. But i hear the new tactical model with the hogue stock is very accurate.
    If i was going to get a ruger 10/22 again, i'd buy the cheapest secondhand rifle i could, junk the barrel and stock and build my own.

Good friend has just bought a second hand fully customised 10/22. New cost £1800 is paying £900.

My KIDD 10/22, still with a Ruger action, is running me about €1400.
    Barrel €350, Single Stage trigger €325, Bolt €120, Charging Handle €75, Evo stock €150, Donor rifle whatever it costs, 8 mags €250, Scope €225.

So rowa is correct to say start off with a donor rifle and a full wallet.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

OnTargetgroupingresult_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

tprp226 wrote: »

It is your preference.

Personally, I like blue barrels. I particularly prefer the 10/22 blue over the Stainless. I really do not like the receiver in stainless.

With that said, I have one of each.

Again, personally, I like the look of blue and wood. However, if you are going to upgrade later, Kidd makes some pretty nice pieces.

My blue 10/22 was bought off a friend in the states for $100, it is a bog standard blue/wood. It shoots better than I and even I can manage 1" groups and less at 50yards.

CliveJ is the man to talk to about Kidd parts. His Kidd kit is nicely done and I agree with just about everything he has to say about 10/22's.

However, ...
    clivej wrote: »
    BUT first thing to do is junk the trigger and replace it with a KIDD @€;325
    ... what you really should do is buy a Timney trigger for the 10/22! Just like the one I have for sale! :rolleyes:

The Kidd triggers are a thing of beauty, but are they worth 60% more than Timney? Not sure. However, this summer I plan on doing the long awaited bench test. I am going to put my blue 10/22 together with a Timney trigger and Shaw barrel and put that up against my SS 10/22 with Kidd trigger and barrel.

In any case, you'll love the 10/22.

Is the price the same for the two? New or used? How about the stock? Plastic or wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tprp226

Thanks for your info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I may be selling my customised Ruger action in my customised EVO stock in the near future.
    Stock is fully pillar bedded, over-sized action contact plate, over-sized action screw with added rear action hold down stud. Action is rock solid.

It's has won me many national and international competitions so is a proven combination.

• Advertisement
Advertisement