Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a game to test/show off new gaming PC?

Options
  • 20-03-2014 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭

I recently built an "above-average" gaming PC (not gonna call it high-end) armed with an R9 270X, Intel i5 4440 and 8GB RAM.

I'm migrating from an Xbox and likes me FPS's.

What game should I get to test out this baby? So far I've just run 3D-Mark 2014 ;)

I'm not interesting in Skyrim as I've already got it on Xbox... might get it again later for the mods but I'd prefer something else.

Would like to get something around 1-2 years old rather than latest gen.

Is Crysis good?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Battlefield 4.

Demanding, lots of different things in play and it's a lot of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I found Tomb Raider a good one - I wanted the same thing a few weeks ago after getting a new PC, or Metro Last Light.

To add, Tomb Raider was the better test. Tress FX wasn't happening but every other setting was ok maxed out. I dialled down the graphics anyway, I just wanted to give the machine a good stress test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Metro: Last Light.
    Unlike BF4 and TR, Last Light is actually a good game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Planetside 2 has made friends of mine literally look on in shock at the sheer scale.

few examples

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Counterstrike 1.6. If you get 100fps then you can cry tears of joy !! Or was it just me that did that when i achieved that benchmark??

Seriously tho... Id say planetside 2 is probably the king in terms of showing off potential for a shooter atm. Plus its free.

TF2 still looks awesome.. As does cs:go at high res and settings... Plus they're top notch shooters to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Cheers for suggestions, Metro Last Light looks a lot like BioShock which I love, so reckon that's a good one to start with.

Will check Planetside as well

Gotta give a shout out to Planetside 2 too, it's been a while since I played it, but it's a hugely impressive game and all the more so cause it's free.

Honourable mention to Loadout which is another very fun F2P game that'll give your machine a nice push to clear out the cobwebs :)

Btw what's a good price-comparison site for steam-keys?

I see Metro Last Light is €29.99 on Steam's site, but then around €8.75 on Kinguin (http://www.kinguin.net/category/932/metro-last-light-standard-edition-steam-key/)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Metro: Last Light.
    Unlike BF4 and TR, Last Light is actually a good game.

Poor Tomb Raider. I really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

mrcheez wrote: »
    Btw what's a good price-comparison site for steam-keys?

I see Metro Last Light is €29.99 on Steam's site, but then around €8.75 on Kinguin (http://www.kinguin.net/category/932/metro-last-light-standard-edition-steam-key/)

http://www.dlcompare.com/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the witcher 2 is lovely looking as well and its ubersampling will kick the **** out of your machine :)

other than that, metro 2033 is lovely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oh, and of course

STALKER

install the complete mod and yer away for the finest fps/rpg hybrid orgasmic experience of your life

the witcher 2 is lovely looking as well and its ubersampling will kick the **** out of your machine :)

ah.. got that on Xbox already...

Metro 2033 looks good though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Do you want a game to push your PC to its knees or you actually want to see Beautiful stuff on Screen?

If you want to push it to its knees just for the ****s of it:

DayZ - Its runs like a dog on any PC, but can look really good, considering the size and technical aspect of the game
    Arma 3 - Almost same, but I just do love the actual Visuals of Arma 3.
    BattleField 4 - Its just an Ass to run compared to BF3. A lot of people even argue that BF3 looks better too. One thing for sure, it will give your system a run for its money ( multiplayer )

Just plain good looking games and Actually good games:

Bioshock 1,2 and Infinite. They look really amazing on PC with maxed out Visuals. Great games too, can be gotten for pennies.
    Metro Last Light - I think it is one of the most beautiful looking games out there. Not just from technical aspect, but just how world feels and looks. It will bash your PC in a face though.
    Settlers 7 - just really good looking strategy game.
    Witcher 2 - Looks amazing, best RPG game out there. Enough said.

oh yeah forgot I need to download Slender (http://www.parsecproductions.net/slender/) ... just because

Bioshock 1,2 and Infinite. They look really amazing on PC with maxed out Visuals. Great games too, can be gotten for pennies.
    Metro Last Light - I think it is one of the most beautiful looking games out there. Not just from technical aspect, but just how world feels and looks. It will bash your PC in a face though.
    Settlers 7 - just really good looking strategy game.
    Witcher 2 - Looks amazing, best RPG game out there. Enough said.

I swore I wasn't going to start getting a backlog of games as I have on the Xbox, but... it's unavoidable

Is there any way to pay for a game on Steam using GBP instead of EURO via Paypal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Get Metro 2033 before last light as last light is the sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

mrcheez wrote: »
    ah.. got that on Xbox already...

Metro 2033 looks good though

Metro 2033 is class, but keep in mind it doesn't look especially great. But well worth a play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

surprised farcry 3 hasnt been mentioned yet

newest crysis is good too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Metro Last Light is the most visually stunning game in recent times. Metro 2033 also looks great and has been the most widely used game for testing graphics benchmark tests.

They are both excellent games in their own right, but do play 2033 before last light.

... and paying for Steam with USD/GBP, is it possible? Perhaps using TunnelBear while setting up a new steam account?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

Far cry 3 was the first game I played on my new PC, Couldn't believe the difference over consoles.

Bioshock Infinite is on sale this weekend, so that's the first one I'm getting (would like to buy in USD, but the Euro price is ok)

I ain't gonna buy any more until I finish it... gonna be disciplined this time ;)

Cheers all for suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Another vote for planetside 2 here. Arma 3 on ultra will make most gaming PCs cry. Its also an awesome game.

btw can most of these games be played with an Xbox controller, or are the console versions generally "dumbed down" to make it easier to play on console?

I used to be a mouse/keyboard man back in the day but have gotten used to lounging back in the couch and playing on the big TV (which I plan to do with this machine as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

FPS games I would avoid controllers as you would be murdered in multiplayer
    there are a lot of great games that you can use a controller for but primarily single player, Steam now has a controller games section that lets you know which are configured for one

for cheap Steam keys www.dlcompare.com as mentioned is very good but I find www.allkeyshop.com to be better but I do use both
    to search the normal key sites like greenmangaming and Greenfly use www.isthereanydeal.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Crysis 2 is still what the industry uses to bench mark pcs.

Crysis 2 is still what the industry uses to bench mark pcs.

But it's a bad game, so don't bother with it :D Plenty of great suggestions to get you started, welcome back :)

Controller - well if you insist, but as mentioned, in multiplayer you're going to spend an awful lot of time dying and respawning and dying again.

Just wait until your first Steam Sale, you won't know yourself! :D

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »
    Controller - well if you insist, but as mentioned, in multiplayer you're going to spend an awful lot of time dying and respawning and dying again.

ah yeah for multiplayer I'll stick to the desktop, but purely single player I'll lounge it ;)

Advertisement