Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a game to test/show off new gaming PC?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You'll get destroyed in online fps using a controller. Also for some games like Arma 3 there are so many different functions that a controller just doesn't have enough buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Can I generally assume that single-player games that get released on console and pc will be suitable for the controller setup?

e.g. Bioshock Infinite

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah id say thats a safe assumption. Some rpgs might be playable with controller too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Yes very much likely. If you are buying a game from Steam. Or buying a game from an online retailer that will give you a Steam key. Check the game via the Steam Store and it should tell you if the game is controller enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Cravez wrote: »
    Yes very much likely. If you are buying a game from Steam. Or buying a game from an online retailer that will give you a Steam key. Check the game via the Steam Store and it should tell you if the game is controller enabled.

Most are, and if not you can get a copy of XPadder or similar to map keyboard and mouse input to your controller.

Also be sure to set Steam to Big Picture mode for easy controller navigation. It has a controller enhanced web browser too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

mrcheez wrote: »
    Btw what's a good price-comparison site for steam-keys?

I see Metro Last Light is €29.99 on Steam's site, but then around €8.75 on Kinguin (http://www.kinguin.net/category/932/metro-last-light-standard-edition-steam-key/)

isthereanydeal.com

I especially like the steam wishlist import and email notification of any games you're watching when they go on sale.
    Also be sure to set Steam to Big Picture mode for easy controller navigation. It has a controller enhanced web browser too.

Another piece of advice. Used http://www.enhancedsteam.com/ and browse steam in your browser instead of the client - the client is slow as hell and only good for launching games. Having multiple tabs while actually buying, using comparison sites and adding things to the cart is essential imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I ain't gonna buy any more until I finish it... gonna be disciplined this time ;)

No. No you won't. I'm sure you have great intentions, but, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

btw can most of these games be played with an Xbox controller, or are the console versions generally "dumbed down" to make it easier to play on console?
    I find controllers slow and unresponsive when compared to the keyboard and mouse. I have a projector screen and want to play everything on the big screen with a controller from the couch but it's a better experience sitting in front of a monitor with the keyboard and mouse. I just can't play FPS with controller it's like having fingers missing. You've got more buttons at your fingertips with the keyboard.

ARMA 3 would be worth getting just to see the scale a PC is capable of.
    Assetto Corsa is on early release and would show how much more advanced driving games on PC are.
    Tomb raider looks lovely and is a decent game just very short.
    Have you played Half Life 2?

After that just add any game on steam you have a remote interest in and wait for the sales. They'll eventually come up at some ridiculously low price and you won't be able to stop yourself from buying it. I just bought all the GTA games for a tenner, I'll probably never play them again.

It's also worth retrying games you liked on consoles, especially if they're an FPS. It's a different experience on PC.

No. No you won't. I'm sure you have great intentions, but, no.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    They'll eventually come up at some ridiculously low price and you won't be able to stop yourself from buying it.

Experience has taught me that these sales repeat regularly so I'm determined to buy only the game I'm gonna play and even if a wicked sale comes by in the meantime it'll happen again later when I'm free to play it.

I've got ****loads of Xbox backlog to get through while I'm waiting for the PC game I want to drop in price again ;)

Experience has taught me that these sales repeat regularly so I'm determined to buy only the game I'm gonna play and even if a wicked sale comes by in the meantime it'll happen again later when I'm free to play it.

Awww, that's so cute!
    I remember being like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Got me a sweet new lap top yesterday with a GTX 780m. 1st time I've had anything above mid range in 15 years. Just started playing Metro Last Light. Looks pretty fcukin swell with everything pretty much maxed out.

I'm tempted by Skyrim. I finished it already but some of those graphics mods look absolutely breath-taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I'm not interesting in Skyrim as I've already got it on Xbox... might get it again later for the mods but I'd prefer something else.

I'd actually recommend Skyrim specifically because you're used to how it looks on Xbox. You may literally wet yourself when you see it modded at 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Head over to the skyrim thread and check out a few of the recent pics.

With mods it can melt any pc...

Holy crap, Bioshock Infinite on Ultra-high settings is blowing my mind ... farewell Xbox ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

One of us. One of us....

"From the depths of Peasantry and into the loving arms of GabeN, our Brother."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

"From the depths of Peasantry and into the loving arms of GabeN, our Brother."

Well said, Brother! :p

Advertisement