Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking/shopping software and resources

Options
  • 20-03-2014 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

What kind of apps/programs/websites do people use to manage their recipes, cooking plans and food shopping?

There are lots of options out there and I'm looking for something that I can use to record recipes (from various sources) that will generate shopping lists for me that I can tick off as I shop. There are lots of different apps/programs that do parts of this but I'm not sure if there's anything that integrates the whole process?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I think you might have to write that one yourself. I have often thought it would be brilliant to have something like it. Particularly if you could choose your menu for the week and it would generate the recipes and the whole shopping list. And it would sell like wildfire, I'd have thought, to those on low carb, paleo or whatever diets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I can't remember the name of it, but I think there is an app that works in reverse where you put in a list of ingredients that you have and it suggests a recipie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

www.supercook.com is the one where you can put in your ingredients.

Forgot to say the Jamie Oliver app provides a shopping list.

Edit: epicurious might have been the app that suggests recipes based on your selected ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Yeah, I kinda want it to work in reverse. Database of recipes, tick what you want for the week (or create custom ones), it generates a shopping list for you that you can tick off as you buy.

Maybe I should stop talking and start programming. /off Zuckerberging

Newaglish wrote: »
    Yeah, I kinda want it to work in reverse. Database of recipes, tick what you want for the week (or create custom ones), it generates a shopping list for you that you can tick off as you buy.

Maybe I should stop talking and start programming. /off Zuckerberging

I think the Jamie Oliver app does that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

http://www.seriouseats.com/ packed with useful info if you can get over how US orientated it is

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

I use bigoven a lot. Post three ingredientsn it gives you options

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm on Mac and iOS. For this I use an app called Paprika. It's got clients for both platforms. You can either input recipes from various websites or input them yourself. They've got adapters for a large amount of sites such as BBC Food, FoodNetwork, JamieOliver and heaps of others. If you come across a site not supported you can send a request to get it supported.

The app has built in timers that are generated automatically from the recipe instructions. You can also generate a shopping list based on the recipe. It sounds like it does all you need OP and it's worth a look if you're running iOS. Sadly there isn't a Windows version though presumably they might produce one at some stage.

One particularly nice aspect of the app is that it uses iCloud to sync your recipes across all devices you're installed on.

One downside of the app is searching. It allows you to search by recipe title only. To get around that, you can create and select categories each time you create a recipe. You can file a recipe under a number of categories so I create or reuse categories based on the prominent ingredients of a recipe each time e.g. Pasta, Tomato, Onion, Cheese, Italian, Chinese, Indian Supper, Dinner etc. At this point, if I've a load of tomatoes I need to use up, I can browse the Tomato category and see all my tomato related recipes.

Overall my rating for this app is 8.5/10. Points removed for lack of more comprehensive search.

App Website: http://paprikaapp.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I just downloaded Paprila App. It's fantastic at first glance.

Advertisement