Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Shoe advice

Options
  • 20-03-2014 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Currently continuing my voyage into the bottomless pit of spending money on Tri gear, this week its running shoes
    Went into a few local sports shops where I lived today, seemed to be full of horrible looking shoes with big blocky heels and extravagant marketing claims. One elverys had Gait-Analysis set up, assume this is a complete waste of time?
    Anyone have some good reccomendations of the type of shoes/good shops I could hit up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Currently continuing my voyage into the bottomless pit of spending money on Tri gear, this week its running shoes
    Went into a few local sports shops where I lived today, seemed to be full of horrible looking shoes with big blocky heels and extravagant marketing claims. One elverys had Gait-Analysis set up, assume this is a complete waste of time?
    Anyone have some good reccomendations of the type of shoes/good shops I could hit up?

Amphibian King seems to be highly recommended never used them yet, also runways in Dublin. I have used runways and found them great. As for the gait analysis I would go ahead with it you will get a better recommendation of shoe with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

+1 on amphibian king

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Got the full work up in Amphibian King last week. Let try out at least 4 different of runners till I found the ones I liked. Were very patient and did the gait analysis on all of the runners I tried on. Great service and friendly staff. Was in the Oranmore one BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

+ 1 on Amphibian King. Find Elvery's all too happy to sell you the latest thing (a couple of seasons out but at this season's price for those of us that follow that type of thing)
    Amphibian King spent a good while with me and I walked away with a brand I never expected but haven't regretted buying

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Gait analysis will be good, but not by stepping on that platform in Elverys, that is not gait analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Go to your nearest Amphibian King. Get them to do gait analysis for you and take it from there. Excellent service and staff

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Looks like ak it is. Will pop in next time im in galway . My bs sensor went into overdrive in elverys yest, especiall when i was given the "its the official london marathon shoe line" . I must look like a total mug

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

pgibbo wrote: »
    Go to your nearest Amphibian King. Get them to do gait analysis for you and take it from there. Excellent service and staff

Are all AK's created equally? The one and only time I've dealt with AK (not Galway I hasten to add) I had gait analysis done and was suggested a shoe that resulted in serious knee pain and put me in physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

griffin100 wrote: »
    Are all AK's created equally? The one and only time I've dealt with AK (not Galway I hasten to add) I had gait analysis done and was suggested a shoe that resulted in serious knee pain and put me in physio.

Personally, I've had good experiences in Galway as have the people I recommended the store to. Outside of that, the original AK store in Dublin came highly recommended from a mate that used to travel from Waterford to them. Other than that I'm none the wiser but I was under the impression they followed a similar approach. Maybe AKW can chime in.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Found the service and advice in the Limerick store to be very good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pgibbo wrote: »
    Personally, I've had good experiences in Galway as have the people I recommended the store to. .
    Pmaldini wrote: »
    Found the service and advice in the Limerick store to be very good

sure it's almost like they cloned the store or something:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

All AK's are created equal but like in any business the people can differ.

It's impossible for me to say anything about any of the stores that doesn't cast a shadow on the others. If anyone has made a mistake you can be sure the rest of us (or maybe just me) will row in to ensure that that mistake is rectified.

I suppose there will always be a difference between those who own and are responsible for their shop and those who are working there. Though we (AK) do train staff to minimise that.

TBH Mrs AKW and I have been very lucky with the extra help that we have hired and long may that luck last.

LaGlisse wrote: »

Hey LaGisse, welcome to the world of tri.

All you need is one decent pair of shoes that'll allow you to train without risking injury. Gait analysis does serve a function but unfortunately in wrong hands its like snake oil.

I work in AK in the West and happy to help with any questions. No worries if you cant get into the shop, ping anything over PM I'll do what I can to demystify the footwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

You'll get similar service at Base 2 Race. Genuine interest and objective to ensure you leave with the correct shoe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

AKW wrote: »
    All AK's are created equal but like in any business the people can differ.

It's impossible for me to say anything about any of the stores that doesn't cast a shadow on the others. If anyone has made a mistake you can be sure the rest of us (or maybe just me) will row in to ensure that that mistake is rectified.

I suppose there will always be a difference between those who own and are responsible for their shop and those who are working there. Though we (AK) do train staff to minimise that.

TBH Mrs AKW and I have been very lucky with the extra help that we have hired and long may that luck last.

I wasn't posting to have a go at the AK brand, was giving my experience of service in one of the outlets. At the time I was inexperienced and looking back I should have been cautious of taking advice from what looked like a very young self confessed rugby player and not a runner. What's funny is that the shoe that was recommended to me by a runner working in a 'fashion' sports shop without any fancy gait analysis when I first started running is still the shoe I wear today. Goes to show that good knowledge is more important than gadgets.

I wasn't posting to have a go at the AK brand, was giving my experience of service in one of the outlets.

Absolutely, I understood that. I was responding more to the call the PGibbo threw out in relation to the 'equal' bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Podge83 wrote: »
    You'll get similar service at Base 2 Race. Genuine interest and objective to ensure you leave with the correct shoe!!

Stating what I thought was obvious. Base2Race does not sell shoes. The Amphibian King shop in Base2Race does

Base2Race is an aggregation of shops using the same premises

Podge83 wrote: »
    You'll get similar service at Amphibian King in Base 2 Race. Genuine interest and objective to ensure you leave with the correct shoe!!

Podge being pedantic (unusually for me ;) ) hope you don't mind, I'm qualifying your post because lots of people are confused by the relationship there with so many different businesses under one roof.

tunney wrote: »
    Stating what I thought was obvious. Base2Race does not sell shoes. The Amphibian King shop in Base2Race does

Base2Race is an aggregation of shops using the same premises

I am aware of the relationship. AK of course are in B2R. Should have stated that. B2R is where I Head for most of my stuff for the reason that its all under one roof. I have had one or two problems with stuff from B2R in the past and always changed without question. I find that all departments are helpful, friendly and take an interest.

They make you feel like a valued client rather than just another customer.

AKW wrote: »
    Podge being pedantic (unusually for me ;) ) hope you don't mind, I'm qualifying your post because lots of people are confused by the relationship there with so many different businesses under one roof.

See above

• Advertisement
Advertisement