Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to speed up wifi?

Options
  • 20-03-2014 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Im sharing wifi with six others. I want to gain access tothe wifi server and speed up my connection. One person in particular is slowingdown the connection speed for everyone. Is it easy to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

By wifi server do you mean the router? And what is it you plan to do when you get access?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

William F wrote: »

Im sharing wifi with six others. I want to gain access tothe wifi server and speed up my connection. One person in particular is slowingdown the connection speed for everyone. Is it easy to do?
    All depends on your router, if it's a decent one with advanced options - you can setup QoS (Quality of Service) to prioritise traffic (e.g 80% to HTTP traffic). If someone is torrenting, it will drain the network speed to no end. What's the make / model router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Yes I mean the router. It's a Jazztel. I've never heard of the model before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Yes I mean the router. It's a Jazztel. I've never heard of the model before.
    Got the model number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Well if you have admin access you can actually kick a device out, or block it. That said. the nicer thing to do would be to set the QOS to http, which would work for most users.

Wifi doesn't really scale very well though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Unless you have exclusive admin rights QOS is very easy to change back.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Got the model number?

Not yet. I will post it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Does the person slowing it down be downloading or is it whenever they connect?
    If its when they connect they could be on an old Wireless card(b) slowing down the network.

chrismon wrote: »
    Does the person slowing it down be downloading or is it whenever they connect?
    If its when they connect they could be on an old Wireless card(b) slowing down the network.

Normally when they connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

If you are accessing a g access point and your friend connects using a b wireless adapter, it will slow down your speed to a maximum of 11Mbps.
    That could be your problem.
    Are they using an old laptop?

• Advertisement

The only thing I saw in his possession was a new tablet which he was watching tv with.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

What speed is the internet connection? I see you mention that there's another person streaming ("watching tv with"). And you share the wifi with a further 5 people... if they're all using it which I presume they are (phones, tablets, laptops, pcs you name it) then on already slow internet connection it's going to crawl.

The model number is AR5387un

Advertisement