Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building on fathers land

Options
  • 20-03-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hi all, few questions if anyone can help.

I had plans drawn up, and received planning permission to build a house on a site beside my home place back in 2005.
    Between one thing and another I decided not to build, and my girlfriend at the time bought a house in 2009 that I'm not on the mortgage, and we're now married with 3 kids and the house just isn't big enough anymore.

So here's where it gets messy!
    We now want to build the house I have the plans for. We would have to reapply for the pp, which shouldn't be a problem.
    The house we are currently in has been valued at €70,000, we owe about €100,000, so we are in NE for 30k.

The other problem is I was self employed up til 2008, and my credit rating isn't great. We do now work full time, me since 2009, her since the last 10 years.

So my question is, what are our options for funding the build? Can my wife get a re mortgage on her own? Would I need to be on it too? Would she even get a re mortgage? Can we use the land as security?

My dad is so eager to help, he has no mortgage and is willing to transfer his house to me if it helps our chances of getting funding.

Sorry for the long post, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Its a complicated situation, I think you need to talk to a Broker. Killers who posts on this forum gets good recommendations.

I would advise also to look in detail at the new regulations for self building.They will have big implications for you and the cost of the build.

Advertisement