Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Close all commercial activities so.

I didnt see that post before. Bloody hell how would that work at all haha

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

Zzippy wrote: »
    Never mind the fact that probably none of the people posting here live on College Rd or Lough Atalia Rd, it's lazy and cliched to just label anyone who doesn't agree with a project that would make your life easier a NIMBY. People are raising legitimate concerns about speeding, safety of other road users, noise, appropriateness of HGV traffic using a residential road, and all you can do is call people NIMBYs rather than debate those concerns. :rolleyes:

I started by saying there were some issues to be ironed out and advocated the introduction of dedicate cycle lanes in Lough Atalia, and possibly up over Fairgreen - there should be enough space. Some re-alignment needed on college road to make it safer - perhaps changing the parking arrangements. I'm sure the residents of Lough Atalia tire of looking at long lines of traffic every evening and morning. Why not try some things, see if they alleviate some of the congestion.

Many of you don't want HGV's on College Road because it is residential, I am sure the residents of Lought Atalia will be delighted to hear you will also be advocating the removal of HGV's from their road? Or are the residents of Lough Atalia of lesser stock and therefore do not merit such concern?

All you are doing is getting your knickers in a twist because I did 60 in a 50 on Lough Atalia, and somehow that makes me greedy, selfish and various other pejorative adjectives.

Does this system benefit the many and impinge on a few? Is my greed and selfishness less or more that the greed and selfishness of those that want it put back because it suits them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Many of you don't want HGV's on College Road because it is residential, I am sure the residents of Lought Atalia will be delighted to hear you will also be advocating the removal of HGV's from their road? Or are the residents of Lough Atalia of lesser stock and therefore do not merit such concern?

No. There should be no HGVs routinely using Lough Atalia Road, just as they should not be using College Road or other similar roads around the city centre.

The only HGVs (particularly artics or tankers), that use those routes should be those making deliveries to local businesses and then only if smaller vehicles cannot do the same job.

There should be no port traffic using those roads - including Lough Atalia.

The port either needs to relocate or else develop alternative roads that do not impact the city centre network. For an example see the Dublin Port tunnel - the Galway port already has an alternative corridor available along the railway line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

No. There should be no HGVs routinely using Lough Atalia Road, just as they should not be using College Road or other similar roads around the city centre.

The only HGVs (particularly artics or tankers), that use those routes should be those making deliveries to local businesses and then only if smaller vehicles cannot do the same job.

There should be no port traffic using those roads - including Lough Atalia.

The port either needs to relocate or else develop alternative roads that do not impact the city centre network. For an example see the Dublin Port tunnel - the Galway port already has an alternative corridor available along the railway line.

Interesting unworkable proposal. What about moving the port to Sligo? I doubt you will care as you don't live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Interesting unworkable proposal. What about moving the port to Sligo? I doubt you will care as you don't live there.

How on earth would you know where any of us are from, or live.

I will be awaiting the decision about the harbour expansion with interest. I certainly don't think it's a foregone conclusion at all, especially with the road link issues.

The idea of an inland port is an interesting one: ships unload at the waterfront, the stuff is loaded straight on to trains, and taken to an industrial site with good road access for unloading from the containers into trucks for further distro. But I don't think Galway is big enough for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Was it not the intention to move all cargo from galway port to rossaveel . Rossaveel has a brand spanking new port development in conjunction with the proposed upgrade of the r336, it would be a perfect alternative to galway port upgrade . Although i dont think the R336 upgrade will go ahead with all the local opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Francis1995

I started by saying there were some issues to be ironed out and advocated the introduction of dedicate cycle lanes in Lough Atalia, and possibly up over Fairgreen - there should be enough space. Some re-alignment needed on college road to make it safer - perhaps changing the parking arrangements. I'm sure the residents of Lough Atalia tire of looking at long lines of traffic every evening and morning. Why not try some things, see if they alleviate some of the congestion.

All you are doing is getting your knickers in a twist because I did 60 in a 50 on Lough Atalia, and somehow that makes me greedy, selfish and various other pejorative adjectives.

Does this system benefit the many and impinge on a few? Is my greed and selfishness less or more that the greed and selfishness of those that want it put back because it suits them?

Quite obviously Lough Atalia Road is far more suited to HGVs travelling east than navigating Fairgreen Road Forster St and College Rd.

Plus the one way system isnt working that well. AS There are delays in other parts of city as people have changed their route since bridge works and still stay away from College Rd & LA Road.

It seems rediculous to foist a dual carridgeway on the front doors of residents for safety and noise and access issues.

Many times cars have travelled down wrong way.How long before a fatality?

Council arent going to put up speed cameras costing 30,000 each with monies collected going to central funds and not Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Francis1995

Quite obviously Lough Atalia Road is far more suited to HGVs travelling east than navigating Fairgreen Road Forster St and College Rd.

Plus the one way system isnt working that well. AS There are delays in other parts of city as people have changed their route since bridge works and still stay away from College Rd & LA Road.

It seems rediculous to foist a dual carridgeway on the front doors of residents for safety and noise and access issues.

Many times cars have travelled down wrong way.How long before a fatality?

Council arent going to put up speed cameras costing 30,000 each with monies collected going to central funds and not Galway.

Plus there appears to have been no consultation with affected parties
    Businesses will be effecte, grave safety issues arise with a dual carridgeway in a residential area. Communities will be effected. Surely someone will cry STOP.

I also understand that there is a plan to make other areas of the city one way such as Henry St if the present one way system is railroaded through by Council officials.

There have been severl near crashes so far with tourists in B&B s avcidentally turning the wrong way on College Rd. This is a real and substantial risk considering the number of tourists and transient visitors on College Rd.

This is also extremely dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians and contravenes City Council's own development plan. There is no room for a Cycle lane as one goes up the hill on Forster Street. & pavement very narrow. ( for those who dont know College Rd begins at top of hill at City Hall)

How on earth would you know where any of us are from, or live.

I will be awaiting the decision about the harbour expansion with interest. I certainly don't think it's a foregone conclusion at all, especially with the road link issues.

The idea of an inland port is an interesting one: ships unload at the waterfront, the stuff is loaded straight on to trains, and taken to an industrial site with good road access for unloading from the containers into trucks for further distro. But I don't think Galway is big enough for that.

Why do you want a new expensive inland port linked to a non existent rail line(outside of a few cities most of which are not connected)

ever heard of Foynes port in the Limerick estuary? Ireland's 2nd largest port capable of taking huge ships. No tidal issues that Galway has. Has oil tanker storage facilities. Has decent roads(very good in fact once you reach Limerick). Used to have rail link? Located at a small town who are objecting to the port development / rail line reinstatement at every opportunity?

My point being that
    1. even in a small port town there are objectors despite the port being the towns livelihood, and
    2. Considering this port which is perfect on paper exists just down the road why does. Galway port still get commercial business?
    3. Back at when oil storage tanks were moved in Galway only a few years ago€20m was spent building these. Why if Galway port is so flawed?

Think about it

Plus there appears to have been no consultation with affected parties
    Businesses will be effecte, grave safety issues arise with a dual carridgeway in a residential area. Communities will be effected. Surely someone will cry STOP.

I also understand that there is a plan to make other areas of the city one way such as Henry St if the present one way system is railroaded through by Council officials.

There have been severl near crashes so far with tourists in B&B s avcidentally turning the wrong way on College Rd. This is a real and substantial risk considering the number of tourists and transient visitors on College Rd.

This is also extremely dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians and contravenes City Council's own development plan. There is no room for a Cycle lane as one goes up the hill on Forster Street. & pavement very narrow. ( for those who dont know College Rd begins at top of hill at City Hall)

A new member very vocally only posting to one thread. I take it you are a resident of college road. Think this should be disclosed for the sake of fair discussion, similar to the commuting and transport forum..

I am not a resident and it's not a commute for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

crumbs868
    Considering this port which is perfect on paper exists just down the road why
    does. Galway port still get commercial business?
    Think about it

And why should Galway not have commercial traffic, Foynes is not "down the road" furthermore why does Limerick have commercial traffic yet only 20 miles from Foynes, look around the Coast at all the ports operating with commercial traffic right beside some of our biggest ports, Fenit, then Irelands largest oil base Bantry, Kinsale just been on the news for exporting business, Cork Irelands 2nd largest port, beside Cork you have Youghal, Dungarvan, then Waterford, Rosslare, Wexford, Arklow, then Dublin and next Dundalk, Warrenpoint, Drogheda I could go on and on and all these small ports operating near some of our biggest ports with commercial traffic, so of course Galway should have commercial traffic and I wish them luck with their future plans for the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

New shipment of wind turbines just arrived in last night. more commercial traffic try to bring these from Foynes.

http://galwayships.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=2

http://galwayships.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    A new member very vocally only posting to one thread. I take it you are a resident of college road. Think this should be disclosed for the sake of fair discussion, similar to the commuting and transport forum.

This isn't the Commuting and Transport forum, though. The poster should feel no obligation to disclose anything unless they wish to and find it pertinent. Please focus on the posts of others, not the posters themselves.

Chicken1 wrote: »
    And why should Galway not have commercial traffic, Foynes is not "down the road" furthermore why does Limerick have commercial traffic yet only 20 miles from Foynes, look around the Coast at all the ports operating with commercial traffic right beside some of our biggest ports, Fenit, then Irelands largest oil base Bantry, Kinsale just been on the news for exporting business, Cork Irelands 2nd largest port, beside Cork you have Youghal, Dungarvan, then Waterford, Rosslare, Wexford, Arklow, then Dublin and next Dundalk, Warrenpoint, Drogheda I could go on and on and all these small ports operating near some of our biggest ports with commercial traffic, so of course Galway should have commercial traffic and I wish them luck with their future plans for the port.

Galway Port should not have commercial traffic unless the infrastructure is in place to support that. If they wanted to stick with unloading cargo by horse and cart it would be fine. Once they want to move to a HGV based model then the rules change. HGVs are not compatible with city centre streets and with the types of other activities and traffic that routinely use town centre streets.

In this case there are no suitable roads available to the port - all port generated traffic has to use roads associated with other city activities. Therefore the port needs to find a different road link or find a different location.

Galway Port should not have commercial traffic unless the infrastructure is in place to support that. If they wanted to stick with unloading cargo by horse and cart it would be fine. Once they want to move to a HGV based model then the rules change. HGVs are not compatible with city centre streets and with the types of other activities and traffic that routinely use town centre streets.

In this case there are no suitable roads available to the port - all port generated traffic has to use roads associated with other city activities. Therefore the port needs to find a different road link or find a different location.

Well the port has operated to date with no problems so get over it, if you had your way you would shut it down and who cares about the people whose lives depend on it. This City is full of knockers, progress is something a lot here don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Well the port has operated to date with no problems so get over it, if you had your way you would shut it down and who cares about the people whose lives depend on it. This City is full of knockers, progress is something a lot here don't like.

So you don't think that HGV's going along residential streets is a problem?

Seriously, Galway port is constrained by the very poor road access it has.

And the type of traffic that it generates is also constraining what we can do with our roading network: I'd accept the negative factors of a long Lough Atalia / College Rd one way loop, if it weren't for the need to route port traffic between the bus stations and along College Rd.

Progress does not mean going forward with whatever bright ideas any one has. It sometimes requires weighing up competing factors, and making the decision that has the least negative consequences.

If the port expansion happens, then there's no way that LAR/CR can stay one-way. Even it doesn't - meh, maybe at best. And the roads going to need some pretty effective traffic calming measures put in place.

And I say that as someone who would absolutely love to see bus-lanes on both roads, which the one-way system would enable possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Get a grip as the poster just mentioned after, galway port has managed just fine with its current HGV's.
    The new layout is an experimentation to see if the traffic flow can be improved. Don't like change? stay inside a 4x4, as everything around will need to adapt. want to bring a discussion on how galway city traffic management can be improved or voice opinions (possibly mainly objections) of changes proposed the forum is that way.

better to try and fail than never to try at all.
    if the current 1 way system is reversed at least the planners can say that idea was tried. Personally i believe bus lanes should be introduced on lough atalia and college road., would help buses and emergency vehicles through. But i will save that for the Commuting & Transport forum.

Storm 10 wrote: »

On boards it is a common tactic when someone is losing an argument to accuse the other side of saying things that they haven't said.

I haven't said anything about shutting it down. I have said it needs a new road link or needs to relocate. Neither option involves "shutting it down".

There was a reason why the fuel tanks had to be moved form the old docks, their presence were not compatible with way the adjacent lands were being used. The same argument applies to all the road-based cargo activities involving port lands - unless alternative road links can be provided.

Cant believe people complaining and bitching about ports now. Due to the new EU emmision laws Ireland is in the prime location to take advantage of the likes of France falling into the catchment. Rather than American ships being forced to change engines simply set up an arrangement to deliver to the west of Ireland. Expanding Galway Port would be excellent for this. But never mind taking advantage of a lucrative opportunity that could help economically, when people wanna bitch about the minor inconvenience a one way road causes. Oh the humanity.

On boards it is a common tactic when someone is losing an argument to accuse the other side of saying things that they haven't said.

I haven't said anything about shutting it down. I have said it needs a new road link or needs to relocate. Neither option involves "shutting it down".

There was a reason why the fuel tanks had to be moved form the old docks, their presence were not compatible with way the adjacent lands were being used. The same argument applies to all the road-based cargo activities involving port lands - unless alternative road links can be provided.
    Where else is there a area of sufficient depth to cater a "moved" port?

• Advertisement

So some are against the one-way system but want to do things like:
    Move the port out to Rossaveal
    Build a HGV route through Remmore/Roscam because College road is too inappropriate/prestigious

Now I am not against the ideas, they have merit, but we can't even change traffic flow, or build a bypass without it ending up in the European courts, imagine the hissy fit local people would have at these suggestions.

As for the people driving the wrong way on college road, sign posts, education, and surely the owners of the B&B's would have enough concerned for the safety of their guests to let them know not to go the wrong way - unless they are not doing so on purpose which would be a foolish and dangerous stunt.
    And I say that as someone who would absolutely love to see bus-lanes on both roads, which the one-way system would enable possible.

Seamus Quirke Road should be enough evidence for all the bus Taxi Lanes are not a beneficial as anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Has there been a serious accident at McMahons on the Tuam Road, or on the Dublin Road at Bradley's, in the last 5 years? Serious question, I can't remember.

I can certainly think of numerous more suitable locations on the Tuam Road alone if what you say is true.

You can check the stats on the site http://www.garda.ie/gosafe.htm
    I suspect stats it shows cover more than the last 5 years.

For the Tuam road section it has 3 fatal, 1 serious and 8 minor collisions.
    That section runs almost all the way the claregalway.
    McMahons seems to be their favorite spot, but I remember the worst accidents being towards the other end of the zone.

The one at Bradley's stretches from Roscam to the shopping centre.
    It has 2 fatal, 4 serious and 41 minor.

I've looked around the map and some zones haven't had any fatal collisions so that's not a requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Every urban center in the world has one way loops, what makes Galway different is the proliferation of the people known as the NIMBY - Not In My Back Yard.

Living in the center of a city has many plus and minus points. Everythign is on your door step, which means that the people getting to/from these so convenient amenities are also on your doorstep, as is the traffic that goes with it.

What is remarkable about Galway City is the way so many people drive from convenient doorstep to convenient doorstep, and apparently believe that doing so at an average speed of 60 km/h in a 50 km/h zone is "fantastic stuff".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There was a traffic corps bike at LoughAtalia/Fairgreen junction at 1000 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I've seen a date of June 24th for the port expansion decision.
    I wonder what impact this one way system would have on the decision.

While I think the one way system isn't a bad idea overall, I think parts of college road are two narrow and twisty for frequent HGV traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Once again you are suggesting we close down all commercial activities in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I would feel far happier driving at 60km/h on Merchants Rd (in appropriate low traffic conditions of course)

As John McEnroe might say, you can not be serious, Mrs OB. Merchants Road is a major thoroughfare for pedestrians and cyclists. There is only one pelican crossing, iirc, and there are numerous shops and offices along both sides. There are also two car parks and several other vehicular entrances/exits. It is also in the city centre, an environment more suited to 30 km/h than 60 km/h.

Some of you guys against HGV traffic in the City should visit Barcelona, one of the biggest commercial and cruise ports in Spain and its bang in the City. I know they have good roads over there but the amount of trucks and buses going into and out of the port was unreal.

While I do agree that this one way system is not convienent for anyone, be it residents, commuters or HGV's and find it stupid routing HGVs up college road. I don't see an issue with HGV going from the docks, out along lough athalia and out of the city that way. The roads aren't narrow nor are the junctions particularly with the new junction at the huntsman. I see no reason trying to go to massive lengths to get trucks going a different route.

Also the whole point of the bridge works were to allow higher and bigger HGVs to pass underneath so I don't think there is any plan whatsoever to reduce HGV traffic on the route, in fact Id imagine the plan is to increase it.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    As John McEnroe might say, you can not be serious, Mrs OB. Merchants Road is a major thoroughfare for pedestrians and cyclists. There is only one pelican crossing, iirc, and there are numerous shops and offices along both sides. There are also two car parks and several other vehicular entrances/exits. It is also in the city centre, an environment more suited to 30 km/h than 60 km/h.

If the Luddites do ever come to power all motorised vehicular transport will be banned, but on the upside we could power the country on the smug sense of satisfaction they produce.

Advertisement