Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Also covered in todays Connacht Tribune
    http://connachttribune.ie/right-turn-ban-at-busy-city-junction-to-be-retained/

Will this lead to Rat running via the Huntsman and Wellpark to make these right turns now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They spray painted location names on road signs a few months back ie. LAR/College junction
    Is that easy to remove?

It struck me at the time that it was a bit permanent rather than covering it with a sticker

.. Will this lead to Rat running via the Huntsman and Wellpark to make these right turns now?
    People are taking illegal right turns anyway

It pretty awkward banning the right turn at Moongeisha. It's a right turn I personally use quite regularly and severely limits options for people coming from the Headford road direction and wanting to head along LAR.

Stupid bans on turns like this is what causes rat running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

It pretty awkward banning the right turn at Moongeisha. It's a right turn I personally use quite regularly and severely limits options for people coming from the Headford road direction and wanting to head along LAR.

This ban on right turns is unhelpful.

As you said, coming from Headford road, or the Quincentennial for that matter, makes it difficult to get to the new bus station or Radisson Hotel.

Legally, you can head in bohermore or past Argos, then go down Forster St, all the way out College road and back in Lough Atalia.
    Or you can head to cemetary cross, down the hill, straight through Moneenageisha junction and left through Wellpark as a rat run to come out across from the school and head straight to Lough Atalia.
    Or any manner of u-turns to get back to the Moneenageisha lights in order to get on to Lough Atalia.
    I'd be surprised if the Radisson hotel are one of the businesses keen on retaining the one-way system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

The ban on right turns greatly improves the traffic flow at that junction. There are less light sequences now so much less waiting and less back-up of traffic.
    This ban on right turns is unhelpful.

As you said, coming from Headford road, or the Quincentennial for that matter, makes it difficult to get to the new bus station or Radisson Hotel.

Legally, you can head in bohermore or past Argos, then go down Forster St, all the way out College road and back in Lough Atalia.

Why would you go out College Road and back in Lough Atalia? Simply come down Bohermore, down the hill by Forster Ct and straight across to either the bus station or the Radisson?

Or if going to Salthill go along Forster Street, around by Eyre Square and the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

J o e wrote: »
    The ban on right turns greatly improves the traffic flow at that junction. There are less light sequences now so much less waiting and less back-up of traffic.

Why would you go out College Road and back in Lough Atalia? Simply come down Bohermore, down the hill by Forster Ct and straight across to either the bus station or the Radisson?

Or if going to Salthill go along Forster Street, around by Eyre Square and the docks.
    You can't go straight across to the bus station or the Radisson as that junction is left turn only currently.

kippy wrote: »
    You can't go straight across to the bus station or the Radisson as that junction is left turn only currently.

You will tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can again from 7am tomorrow morning.

Sorry lads,
    Completely missed the timing/point of the post!

• Advertisement

Must be a first. I agree with you Mustafa Tight Traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Back to a car park again in Lough Atalia , bumper to bumper from the Radisson at 10am this morning :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The light sequences are taking the piss too. Turning from Lough Atalia towards the College road out to Dublin Road was a joke. No cars coming to or from College Road and was waiting a good 3 minutes for lights to change. Any more of that ****e and I'm getting involved in the dog-chasing-own-tail world of Galway politics.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Back to a car park again in Lough Atalia , bumper to bumper from the Radisson at 10am this morning :mad:

From the Radisson to where?

I assume outbound to College Road.
    Has anyone called the corpo and told them to fix the lights properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

From the Radisson to where?

Outbound from the Radisson, the lights are a joke, I have been caught twice there today with delays, never had a delay with the one way system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Outbound from the Radisson, the lights are a joke, I have been caught twice there today with delays, never had a delay with the one way system.

So the one way worked better but because of moaning its gone to the inefficient way again? What a shame.

So the one way worked better but because of moaning its gone to the inefficient way again? What a shame.

It wasn't just because of moaning in fairness. It was never meant to be a permanent feature and couldnt have been without further significant works.
    If we are to believe what we are told the traffic studies over the past 3 week may help develop a proposal to do something different with those roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

It wasn't just because of moaning in fairness. It was never meant to be a permanent feature and couldnt have been without further significant works.
    If we are to believe what we are told the traffic studies over the past 3 week may help develop a proposal to do something different with those roads.
    Ah I see. Cheers!

It most certainly didn't work better if you were an old person living on College Rd who could no longer catch a bus into the city centre.

• Advertisement

It most certainly didn't work better if you were an old person living on College Rd who could no longer catch a bus into the city centre.

Yeah, there were definitely those that it did not work "better" for. If this is to be somewhat of a permanent fixture plenty would need to change to allow it work for the residents of the area.

Can you not use college road its probably quieter than lough atalia?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

3 minute green light for Fairgreen Road? That never happened before. Smells like the traffic control centre making things deliberately inconvenient cos they didn't get their wish to keep the one-way system... or maybe I'm being paranoid ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Francis1995

Zzippy wrote: »
    3 minute green light for Fairgreen Road? That never happened before. Smells like the traffic control centre making things deliberately inconvenient cos they didn't get their wish to keep the one-way system... or maybe I'm being paranoid ;)

when traffic lights are taking longer than normal to change would someone make council aware of it.

Im glad one way trafic is gone as i was almost involved in a head on collision involving a tourist exiting a b&b the wrong way.

Its way safer for cyclists and pedestrians now that its back to two way.

The speeding was something unreal when it was one way.

Advertisement