Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi guys
    I head about this on the traffic news today, something about Lough Atalia Road. I will be driving today from Limerick to Sligo via Galway, I usally turn right at the big hotel at the roundabout there (Maldron/Quality Hotel). I dont know where the Lough Atalia Road is, is it on the route to Sligo, should I allow extra time today to travel to Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi guys
    I head about this on the traffic news today, something about Lough Atalia Road. I will be driving today from Limerick to Sligo via Galway, I usally turn right at the big hotel at the roundabout there (Maldron/Quality Hotel). I dont know where the Lough Atalia Road is, is it on the route to Sligo, should I allow extra time today to travel to Sligo?

It is is nowhere near your route to Sligo. It should have no affect at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

It is is nowhere near your route to Sligo. It should have no affect at all.

many thanks, appreciate the response!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The Waze Maps app has been updated with the latest closure information - this may help anyone who doesn't know the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Motorists doing a u-turn at Lough Atalia despite it being a one-way :eek:
    Bottleneck at Forster St/Eyre Square causing a backlog

Also new hatch zones at Victoria Place being ignored

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Just drove west across the city from the Dublin Road to Salthill... no hold ups at all. Lough Atalia was almost empty and flew through Eyre Square and the docks.

They've also added a new barrier along the docks so cars in the right lane are forced around by Merchants Road. Delighted to see this! There are always a few cars speeding along the mostly empty right lane and force merging into the left lane at the Museum. Saw one such new black Audi (prime suspect) almost have a melt down when they got forced right. They attempted to reverse back with hazards but traffic backed up behind them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

J o e wrote: »
    Just drove west across the city from the Dublin Road to Salthill... no hold ups at all. Lough Atalia was almost empty and flew through Eyre Square and the docks.

They've also added a new barrier along the docks so cars in the right lane are forced around by Merchants Road. Delighted to see this! There are always a few cars speeding along the mostly empty right lane and force merging into the left lane at the Museum. Saw one such new black Audi (prime suspect) almost have a melt down then they got forced right. They attempted to reverse back with hazards but traffic backed up behind them. :)

should be a permanent feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

They've also added a new barrier along the docks so cars in the right lane are forced around by Merchants Road. Delighted to see this! There are always a few cars speeding along the mostly empty right lane and force merging into the left lane at the Museum. Saw one such new black Audi (prime suspect) almost have a melt down then they got forced right. They attempted to reverse back with hazards but traffic backed up behind them. :)

Can you still stay in the right lane to get around into Flood Street, or does the barrier force people right before the arthouse cinema site into Merchants Road?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Can you still stay in the right lane to get around into Flood Street, or does the barrier force people right before the arthouse cinema site into Merchants Road?

You move into the right lane after the exit for Merchants Road, which I think was already the case according to road markings?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You move into the right lane after the exit for Merchants Road, which I think was already the case according to road markings?

I thought you could continue on in the right lane if you were intending turning right at Flood St. Not allowing this would just result in the same old situation of traffic backed up in the left lane with the right virtually empty. A better place for the barrier up the middle would be after the turn for Merchants Road, or have it continuously up the middle all the way round to Flood St to prevent people using the right lane to jump the queue of cars heading in Salthill direction.

Back on topic (L. Atalia) - I start work a bit later than most, but traffic was exceptionally light this morning, I was expecting a big backlog (used L. Atalis Rd and Eyre Sq route in). What was it like during rush hour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Zzippy wrote: »
    I thought you could continue on in the right lane if you were intending turning right at Flood St. Not allowing this would just result in the same old situation of traffic backed up in the left lane with the right virtually empty. A better place for the barrier up the middle would be after the turn for Merchants Road, or have it continuously up the middle all the way round to Flood St to prevent people using the right lane to jump the queue of cars heading in Salthill direction.

Back on topic (L. Atalia) - I start work a bit later than most, but traffic was exceptionally light this morning, I was expecting a big backlog (used L. Atalis Rd and Eyre Sq route in). What was it like during rush hour?

We breezed in from GMIT just after 5 this evening, much faster than most evenings all year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Is it just me or does that one way system work better? I've also noticed the traffic to be much less severe. Or are people just staying away?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

From looking at it as a pedestrian everything seems to be moving a lot more smoothly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I would agree mostly though this morning traffic was bad coming around by the pillo hotel into terryland, wonder would this be some people avoiding the other route.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mm123

Hey I need to get to the g hotel tomorrow after noon but was wondering what route will I take now with the road works? Not sure what parts are closed off etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Where are you coming from?. If in by Dublin road route unaffected as you'll be turning right into wellpark estate before the affected junction and roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mm123

Where are you coming from?. If in by Dublin road route unaffected as you'll be turning right into wellpark estate before the affected junction and roads.

I would be coming from NUIG so past GSC and the Topaz roundabout at Bohermore down the hill and straight on? Or is that road closed?

mm123 wrote: »
    I would be coming from NUIG so past GSC and the Topaz roundabout at Bohermore down the hill and straight on? Or is that road closed?

Straight on is fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I decided to go home (salthill side of Knocknacarra) from work (Parkmore) via Lough Atalia this evening just to see what it was like..... Disaster!

I left work at 6.30pm and went via the dual carriageway on to Wellpark Road and I was at the Moneenageisha junction in under 5 minutes. 35 minutes later I reach Eyre Square. It looked like all the traffic was backed up heading towards the Docks and Spanish Arch so I ended up heading for the Salmon Weir bridge and home that way.

I'll be sticking to the Quincentenary bridge from now on!

How dare you go against the consensus, that everything is A-ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I decided to go home (salthill side of Knocknacarra) from work (Parkmore) via Lough Atalia this evening just to see what it was like..... Disaster!

I left work at 6.30pm and went via the dual carriageway on to Wellpark Road and I was at the Moneenageisha junction in under 5 minutes. 35 minutes later I reach Eyre Square. It looked like all the traffic was backed up heading towards the Docks and Spanish Arch so I ended up heading for the Salmon Weir bridge and home that way.

I'll be sticking to the Quincentenary bridge from now on!

It was much worse today, even throughout the day. I think the nice weather is bringing more traffic across to Salthill so even bother na dtreabh, terryland,the quincentenary bridge and westside is completely backed at the moment. It was nowhere near as bad when the weather was cooler so i think it's extra beach-goers causing the extra loads

Sure they can go for a dip in Lough Atalia?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It was bad at 5.30 today. So many drivers using the right lane & then pushing in. Actually had a case of road rage.

They need to install a barrier to stop drivers from changing lanes.

zarquon wrote: »
    It was much worse today, even throughout the day. I think the nice weather is bringing more traffic across to Salthill so even bother na dtreabh, terryland,the quincentenary bridge and westside is completely backed at the moment. It was nowhere near as bad when the weather was cooler so i think it's extra beach-goers causing the extra loads

We breezed in from GMIT in ten minutes again today, traffic at the Square was a tiny bit busier but not remotely bad.

Discodog wrote: »
    It was bad at 5.30 today. So many drivers using the right lane & then pushing in. Actually had a case of road rage.

They need to install a barrier to stop drivers from changing lanes.

Fairly chronic this evening (6.50pm) alright. Was sitting in the proper left lane and a steady stream of cars staying right as far as they could then merged in. I'd say a good 50 cars jumped in ahead while I crawled along. Raging at the cars just letting them in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

We breezed in from GMIT in ten minutes again today, traffic at the Square was a tiny bit busier but not remotely bad.

You seem to be the only one here not caught in chronic traffic. I presume you are one of the lane hoppers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Fairly chronic this evening (6.50pm) alright. Was sitting in the proper left lane and a steady stream of cars staying right as far as they could then merged in. I'd say a good 50 cars jumped in ahead while I crawled along. Raging at the cars just letting them in!

The problem is made worse because, as you get to the road works, the lanes are separated by posts. But then there are gaps further up that allow the queue jumpers in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I flew up college Rd at 6:25

zarquon wrote: »
    You seem to be the only one here not caught in chronic traffic. I presume you are one of the lane hoppers ;)

Im not the driver, a simple passenger. And no we just seem to have missed the traffic all week when weve come in, we were both commenting that it seemed to be working very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Was going out College Road tonight around 10.30 and saw someone drive past me towards Forster Street, going the wrong way. Was going to flash them but I had to make sure it wasn't me in the wrong first!

Advertisement