Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Was going out College Road tonight around 10.30 and saw someone drive past me towards Forster Street, going the wrong way. Was going to flash them but I had to make sure it wasn't me in the wrong first!

Possibly someone coming from a B&B on College Road, wouldn't know the new layout and satnav wouldn't tell them either...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Zzippy wrote: »
    Possibly someone coming from a B&B on College Road, wouldn't know the new layout and satnav wouldn't tell them either...

You give far too much credit to Galway drivers. Some people are just morons behind a wheel and Galway has a much higher than normal concentration of such moronic driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

I notice lots of people don't see or else don't care about massive arrows painted on the ground in car parks in Galway so they will take no notice of the arrows put down for the one way system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Over half an hour to get Lough Atalia to Spanish Arch this evening, clear after Eyre Square.

Very messy outside new bus station with 5 cars trying to merge in after jumping the slow lane and some patient drivers having little of it. They need to fully separate those lanes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

boardzz wrote: »
    I notice lots of people don't see or else don't care about massive arrows painted on the ground in car parks in Galway so they will take no notice of the arrows put down for the one way system.

Hardly the same thing. One is illegal the other isn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I was heading to Salthill at lunchtime and the merging cars who take the right lane through Lough Atalia and try indicating into the left lane by the Radisson is absolute chaos. In fairness to the cars on the left I think every single driver let the at least one car merge in. The 30th of May can't come quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

J o e wrote: »
    Over half an hour to get Lough Atalia to Spanish Arch this evening, clear after Eyre Square.

Very messy outside new bus station with 5 cars trying to merge in after jumping the slow lane and some patient drivers having little of it. They need to fully separate those lanes .

I walked up LAR on the first day the works began about 4 30. Cars were breezing by. No problem. But when I turned on towards fairgreen Road I noticed cars in the right lane trying to cut across to the left lane where there is a gap at the entrance to revenue (i think). Is that gap still there? There should be an unbreakable division along LAD right down to Forster street. Then no lane hopping.

In fairness to the cars on the left I think every single driver let the at least one car merge in.

I was not one of these drivers. :)

ba0b200630e1f2862369a16fae51f914086f471d488b702d55c1def75ab1aa43.jpg

boardzz wrote: »

They have no legal standing and can be ignored if you wish, I certainly wouldnt miss a spot by driving all the way around if I spot one....

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

They have no legal standing and can be ignored if you wish, I certainly wouldnt miss a spot by driving all the way around if I spot one....

You're an idiot

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

bobbyss wrote: »
    I walked up LAR on the first day the works began about 4 30. Cars were breezing by. No problem. But when I turned on towards fairgreen Road I noticed cars in the right lane trying to cut across to the left lane where there is a gap at the entrance to revenue (i think). Is that gap still there? There should be an unbreakable division along LAD right down to Forster street. Then no lane hopping.
    Whoy?
    Then cars would not be able to come out of Revenue to go to Eyre Square and neither would coaches from the coach station.

This is why aliens don't talk to us. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

snubbleste wrote: »
    Whoy?
    Then cars would not be able to come out of Revenue to go to Eyre Square and neither would coaches from the coach station.

I take your point re cars from revenue but coaches (for Dublin, Cork) coming out of station turn right towards the traffic lights and then up College Road. There is no reason for them to change into any left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I take your point re cars from revenue but coaches (for Dublin, Cork) coming out of station turn right towards the traffic lights and then up College Road. There is no reason for them to change into any left lane.

The Citylink lads heading for Clifden might disagree with ya ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Citylink lads heading for Clifden might disagree with ya ...

Just call it 'The Weird Atlantic Way'.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

All the busses leaving there have to cross to the left hand lane as their turning circle is too large to stay in the right lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Just call it 'The Weird Atlantic Way'.

Speaking of weird (though depressingly familiar) ways, I noticed today that the Lough Atalia roadworks require cyclists to take a massive diversion.

If a cyclist is leaving, say, City Hall or Yeats College to go to Eyre Square, they have to cycle about four times further via Lough Atalia Road.

Likewise, cyclists needing to access Lough Atalia Road have to divert via College Road. While travelling the 'right' way around the one-way system I saw cyclists trying to find a way through without taking the diversion.

Meanwhile, both roads have been turned into two-lane one-way routes for motor traffic, which has made the traffic speed on these roads even crazier than usual.

No attempt has been made to either control speed or accommodate cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's no worse for cyclists than for any other vehicles: all of them have to take this massive detour.

At least cyclists have an option to get off and wheel their vehicle down the footpath to Forster St.

The speeding is pretty bad - people seem to think it's now a dual carriageway..

It's no worse for cyclists than for any other vehicles: all of them have to take this massive detour.

At least cyclists have an option to get off and wheel their vehicle down the footpath to Forster St.

A section of "footpath" on College Road. :)

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    A section of "footpath" on College Road. :)

What's wrong with the perfect section of footpath on the right hand side of that picture?

What's wrong with the perfect section of footpath on the right hand side of that picture?
    :confused:

snubbleste wrote: »
    :confused:

I assume the post was pointing out that the footpath is narrow on the left hand side for a short distance, what's wrong with using the footpath on the right hand side?

I assume the post was pointing out that the footpath is narrow on the left hand side for a short distance, what's wrong with using the footpath on the right hand side?
    Nothing. But it is not for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I am warming to this dual lane in and out of galway city approach. :)

Here's a section of "footpath" on Lough Atalia Road.

And another section.

The diversion is to facilitate motorists during the roadworks, with cyclists having to make the greatest compromise as a result. Galway City Council suggested that people use bikes instead of driving while the works are underway, but have made no effort to facilitate that option.

I also noticed that the Mainguard Street shared bike station was out of service, which, coupled with the effective closing off of bike routes through the city centre, meant that my journey was not at all conducive to cycling. I persisted because I was not stuck for time, and I wanted to check out what the route was like.

Galway City Council really are clueless, careless or both about the facilitation of utility cycling. It's only when you commute regularly by bike that you fully appreciate this fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The diversion is to facilitate motorists during the roadworks, with cyclists having to make the greatest compromise as a result. Galway City Council suggested that people use bikes instead of driving while the works are underway, but have made no effort to facilitate that option.

I also noticed that the Mainguard Street shared bike station was out of service, which, coupled with the effective closing off of bike routes through the city centre, meant that my journey was not at all conducive to cycling. I persisted because I was not stuck for time, and I wanted to check out what the route was like.

Galway City Council really are clueless, careless or both about the facilitation of utility cycling. It's only when you commute regularly by bike that you fully appreciate this fact.
    Using your previous example, someone leaving Yeats wanting to go to the Square. Somebody in a car is going to have to travel the exact same distance as somebody on a bike, and cyclists can cycle on the path down College Road if they're that way inclined (which I would imagine plenty in Galway are.) So no, cyclists don't have to make the greatest compromise; it's the exact same compromise as motor vehicle users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

They do not give a damn. Car traffic flow is all they care about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Using your previous example, someone leaving Yeats wanting to go to the Square. Somebody in a car is going to have to travel the exact same distance as somebody on a bike, and cyclists can cycle on the path down College Road if they're that way inclined (which I would imagine plenty in Galway are.) So no, cyclists don't have to make the greatest compromise; it's the exact same compromise as motor vehicle users.

Cyclists also have the option of cutting down into foster court to avoid the detour. I don't buy this hard done by cyclist nonsense. It was clear that there was going to be inconvenience to all road users including cyclists.

Advertisement