Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Using your previous example, someone leaving Yeats wanting to go to the Square. Somebody in a car is going to have to travel the exact same distance as somebody on a bike, and cyclists can cycle on the path down College Road if they're that way inclined (which I would imagine plenty in Galway are.) So no, cyclists don't have to make the greatest compromise; it's the exact same compromise as motor vehicle users.

So, to clarify the underlying principle here, are you saying that travelling around Galway City by bike is exactly equivalent to travelling by car?

zarquon wrote: »
    Cyclists also have the option of cutting down into foster court to avoid the detour. I don't buy this hard done by cyclist nonsense. It was clear that there was going to be inconvenience to all road users including cyclists.

The City Council created the two-lane one-way diversion for the benefit of motor traffic. It doesn't help cyclists -- quite the opposite in fact. However, prior to the commencement of works, the Council urged people to travel by bike instead of by car. Can you explain the logical and conceptual link there, please?

With regard to the Forster Court short-cut, can you show on Google Maps how that would work? What about Lough Atalia Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    So, to clarify the underlying principle here, are you saying that travelling around Galway City by bike is exactly equivalent to travelling by car?

The City Council created the two-lane one-way diversion for the benefit of motor traffic. It doesn't help cyclists -- quite the opposite in fact. However, prior to the commencement of works, the Council urged people to travel by bike instead of by car. Can you explain the logical and conceptual link there, please?

With regard to the Forster Court short-cut, can you show on Google Maps how that would work? What about Lough Atalia Road?

They also published the contact details of a Liason Officer to answer any questions that the public might have.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/201/59/Lough-Atalia-Bridge-Road-Lowering---Road-Closure-Traffic-Management-Plan/
    Contact
    Galway City Council have appointed Tom Cannon of TOBIN Consulting Engineers, as Public Liaison Engineer to the project for the duration of the works. Tom will be available to answer any queries about the roadworks from residents, businesses and the general public from 9am - 5pm, Mon-Fri. and can be contacted on 086 166 6653 or email on lar@tobin.ie.

We would like to apologise for any disruption that will be caused by the works and thank the public for their support and understanding.

What did he have to say when you contacted him about your concerns?

dilallio wrote: »
    What did he have to say when you contacted him about your concerns?

"Ya wha, Gay?" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Meanwhile, both roads have been turned into two-lane one-way routes for motor traffic, which has made the traffic speed on these roads even crazier than usual.

No attempt has been made to either control speed or accommodate cyclists.

Both roads have been turned into two-lane one-way routes for all road traffic.

You can't one day be arguing that cyclists belong on the road, equal with motorists, then the next day say the roads are for motorists and alternative arrangements should be made for cyclists.

I think the one-way system on Lough Atalia is safer for cyclists at the moment. Frustrated cars overtake you on the second lane now rather than squeezing you against the kerb. For those that don't cycle that road - you do need to cycle well out from the kerb as there are some buckets of drains along there and you'd be weaving in and out otherwise.

J o e wrote: »
    Both roads have been turned into two-lane one-way routes for all road traffic.

You can't one day be arguing that cyclists belong on the road, equal with motorists, then the next day say the roads are for motorists and alternative arrangements should be made for cyclists.

I think the one-way system on Lough Atalia is safer for cyclists at the moment. Frustrated cars overtake you on the second lane now rather than squeezing you against the kerb. For those that don't cycle that road - you do need to cycle well out from the kerb as there are some buckets of drains along there and you'd be weaving in and out otherwise.

I've made no such arguments, one day or the next.

To repeat, the point I'm making is that the primary objective of the traffic management plan is the free flow of motorised traffic. The free flow of cycle traffic has been systematically compromised in order to ensure that the capacity and flow of motorised traffic is not similarly compromised. It is clear that the Council and its consultants were unable and/or unwilling to devise a plan which would facilitate cyclists to a degree commensurate with their promotion of cycling as an alternative to driving.

With regard to "frustrated cars" on Lough Atalia Road, speeding and dangerous overtaking have long been a problem there. I used to commute via that route every day, and I know what it's like, especially in heavy rain. There has never been any effective enforcement of parking or traffic regulations. I recall an artic driver blowing his horn to 'encourage' me to cycle on the footpath. I declined, partly because it's illegal and partly because the footway is apparently meant for the parking of private cars.

A thought occurs, if motorists can overtake in the temporary second lane, why were both roads not made one-way for all traffic, but with one lane for bikes, or for buses and bikes?

Or make one lane on both roads two-way for bikes? Were these options considered, or would they be unworkable? Just a thought. Perhaps the cycling experts might have a view on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No. If it rains cyclists get wet. Also, cycling will probably take longer apart from peak traffic times. But the compromise in this case is exactly equal. Cars can only go the long way around College Road, up Lough Atalia Road and into the Square. Same as cyclists. Equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Went up by the Radisson twice today and the lane going left into the City was terrible slow and the reason, you guessed it they are still lane jumping into the left lane causing all the hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It won't improve & may well get worse as more people get fed up with queuing & join the jumpers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Discodog wrote: »
    It won't improve & may well get worse as more people get fed up with queuing & join the jumpers.
    Eh, that's already happening.
    At 9am today, LoughAtalia left lane backed up inbound halfway to College Rd, cars speeding up an empty right lane - obviously not heading right further on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

snubbleste wrote: »
    Eh, that's already happening.
    At 9am today, LoughAtalia left lane backed up inbound halfway to College Rd, cars speeding up an empty right lane - obviously not heading right further on.

One solution would be to put someone at the cut in point with a couple of cones. They could move them for legitimate drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Discodog wrote: »
    One solution would be to put someone at the cut in point with a couple of cones. They could move them for legitimate drivers.
    How much would you think that man should earn per hour ?
    A Guard is the only person that could manage that affectively but that's not going to happen.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    No. If it rains cyclists get wet. Also, cycling will probably take longer apart from peak traffic times. But the compromise in this case is exactly equal. Cars can only go the long way around College Road, up Lough Atalia Road and into the Square. Same as cyclists. Equal.

I'd say there are a fair few Council officials, along with their consultants, who have a similar perception. The main reason for that, perhaps, is that they are not regular utility cyclists and so have no real insight into cycling as a door-to-door mode of travel in urban areas.

My understanding now of the LAR Traffic Management Plan is that the engineers considered the possibilities but could not work out a way to accommodate cyclists, eg with a contra-flow lane. Their stated primary objective was motorised traffic flow, hence the two-lane one-way system intended for that exact purpose.

That said, the cycle route via Forster Court mentioned earlier seems promising. It doesn't seem to be highlighted on the Council's map, which suggests it wasn't considered as part of the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Speaking of weird (though depressingly familiar) ways, I noticed today that the Lough Atalia roadworks require cyclists to take a massive diversion.

If a cyclist is leaving, say, City Hall or Yeats College to go to Eyre Square, they have to cycle about four times further via Lough Atalia Road.

Dismount bike and walk on the footpath with bike for all of 3 mins? Not exactly rocket science, a classic example of using ones brain and the very reason why humans rule the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, there is a perfectly good cycling thread on the front page.
    Does every thread on traffic have to be turned into another bike thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

biko wrote: »

Ahh but your missing the point. This thread is not about traffic at all, its about the effects the temporary closure of the Lough Atalia Road and hence the effects it is having on ALL road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Lane jumping is rife on Merchants Road now too.

Not helped this morning by the decision to send the road sweeper down there during morning rush hour. :confused:

Also not helped by a long term problem of delivery trucks parking in the left lane at the back of the Eyre Square Shopping Centre almost every morning. They block the lane entirely just before the right-bend. Cars in the left lane have to move into the right lane and back out again. It's makes it very easy now for lane jumpers to just stick to the right lane and not turn right but continue with those who have had to merge in.

How are they allowed to block this lane nearly every morning?

346225.jpg

So what is the chances they will keep this OPTION 3 layout
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/250414_02.pdf
    in existence once these works are carried out?

They do love large One Way Systems in City Hall.

Page 6 of the document
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/250414_01.pdf

has the advantages and disadvantages of this option.

Does anyone know which Option Number they chose, based on the above documentation?

The thought has just occurred to me that this scheme may well have provided an experimental opportunity to trial a one-way system in the area.

I have a vague recollection that the idea of a College Road one-way may have been floated before, though perhaps not by the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Took a trip in through lough atalia yesterday evening...commute home is a disaster anyway (going across the bridge) so tried something different. Seeing the people jump lanes made me really angry! I see that kind of thing on the bridge every morning, at terryland every evening but I try to let it wash over me

So I will avoid it from now on (or do the same thing and drive up right hand lane and cut in...see how the other half live) How no-one could see what was going to happen and the sh1t it would stir is beyond me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

biko wrote: »

The last time I looked this was a northern European University city - that implies cyclists and pedestrians and also implies that changes to traffic management will generally also impact cyclists and pedestrians.

If you don't like it you are quite free to find somewhere else to live for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

The last time I looked this was a northern European University city - that implies cyclists and pedestrians and also implies that changes to traffic management will generally also impact cyclists and pedestrians.

If you don't like it you are quite free to find somewhere else to live for yourself.

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

And the road closures were arranged to facilitate the majority of travelers aka motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dloob wrote: »
    And the road closures were arranged to facilitate the majority of travelers aka motorists.

Sorry, but what roads are closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Sorry, but what roads are closed?

Lough atalia road is closed to westbound traffic

College road is closed to eastbound traffic

Lough atalia bridge is closed to all traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Got the 409 into town this evening and the driver cut into the left lane just opposite the coach station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

Got the 409 into town this evening and the driver cut into the left lane just opposite the coach station.

The buses are allowed do that, it's written in the signs, albeit in small writing!

dloob wrote: »

The traffic management plan was indeed arranged to facilitate motorists. Yet the City Council gave lip service to the idea of transport alternatives, all the same:
    Joe O'Neill (Acting CEO GCC) was on the wireless morning literally pleading with townsfolk to use bicycles and public transport during these roadworks.

Wonder if the car park in City Hall will be less full during the period?

So, now that College Road was closed for tackling a blazing fire.. What happened to motorists?
    All had to go through Eyre Sq?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MarysCurtins

So, now that College Road was closed for tackling a blazing fire.. What happened to motorists?
    All had to go through Eyre Sq?

I would presume so, is it only closed for motorists? What about the cyclists / pedestrians / buses?

I would presume so, is it only closed for motorists? What about the cyclists / pedestrians / buses?
    Well obviously pedestrians could get through, as could cyclists.
    It was closed to facilitate firefighter machinery tackling the off-road blaze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Howdy,

I've to get to the Radisson in the morning around 9am - coming in from Dublin Road.

Whats the best approach with roadworks and traffic at that time? I'm open to parking further away and walking if it's bad.

Thanks

Advertisement