Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat vaccine time frame?

• 20-03-2014 10:29pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My cats got their first two sets of vaccines last ear and this year they need to get another set on time so as to not need two sets again. The vet has marked them down as needing them the 27th of this month, I was wondering how much leeway there was on this, does a week or two matter or do they strictly need them done by this date?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

Hi there,

No, a couple of weeks won't matter at all. The vet's card is a reminder that the vaccine is due but you can make the appointment for a time that suits better. I've never been more than a couple of weeks out myself - you could always go a little earlier either.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think we were about 6 weeks late last year and our vet said it was fine. It's like a conveyor belt of boosters from July on with our lot, somehow they all managed to be vaccinated one month after the other:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've managed to sync all ours, all get done together now (vet charges for one visit and 3 cat boosters, 2 dog boosters) but I don't always get them done exactly 12 months apart.
    The immunity lasts a while longer than 12 months, depends on the cats health and immune system, I have left cats 18months at one stage, vet said it was fine, there's evidence to say it could be up to 3 years with certain vaccines, can't remember where I read this but I'm sure someone will know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

It absolutely depends on the manufacturer;

See the recommended schedule here for Felocell;
    Primary Vaccination: Healthy cats should receive 2 doses administered subcutaneously 3 to 4 weeks apart. Cats vaccinated at less than 12 weeks of age should receive a final dose at 12 weeks of age or older.

First Annual Vaccination: Healthy cats should receive a single dose administered 12 months after the completion of the primary vaccination course.

Revaccination: Revaccination with a single dose at intervals of up to 3 years is recommended for feline panleukopenia caused by feline parvovirus, feline viral rhinotracheitis caused by feline herpesvirus-1, and feline respiratory disease caused by feline calicivirus.

Alternatively, Felocell 3 (Year 1) may be alternated with Felocell RESP-2 (Years 2 & 3) in situations where respiratory infection challenge is likely to be high (cats going to catteries, multi cat households etc).
    You'll find the brand name of the vaccine used on the sticker inside your vaccination card. Some brands are better then others...

The only possible exception to this; is if you were ever to emigrate, they can be sticky about dates (recorded in the passport)

My indoor cat is vaccinated on a 3 year schedule after receiving his primary and first annual vacs. Try not to run over too long, for the first annual vaccination, earlier would be better then late. There will be no specific data on 'how long' is 'too long' as every cat will have its own immune response.

Advertisement