Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best mouse for MacBook pro

• 20-03-2014 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just bought the above mac, what is the best mouse to buy.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

IMHO, the trackpad on the Pro, with all it's gestures, is as good as any mouse. However, to answer your question, I would recommend the Apple Mighty Mouse (the older one with the trackball and the two side buttons). You may need to look second hand to pick one up, unless Harvery Norman's still sell them.

Stay away from the new(ish) Magic Mouse. It works fine, but for me, the Mighty Mouse is far superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

By way of clarification, the Mighty Mouse doesn't actually have two side buttons as such. It has two buttons, but you can't push them individually. It's more of a "squeezing the mouse" kind of action. You can assign any number of actions to the "squeeze". For instance, I use it to display Exposé.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Mighty Mouse has it's own set of problems. The trackball tends to give trouble and may eventually stop working. I'd recommend the Magic Mouse over it. But if you want something really reliable you should probably consider an non-Apple mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

The Mighty Mouse has it's own set of problems. The trackball tends to give trouble and may eventually stop working. I'd recommend the Magic Mouse over it. But if you want something really reliable you should probably consider an non-Apple mouse.

Thanks again
    Excuse my complete lack of knowledge
    What would be a good non apple mouse and where would ne the best place to buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

mcko wrote: »
    Thanks again
    Excuse my complete lack of knowledge
    What would be a good non apple mouse and where would ne the best place to buy one.

IMO a mid-range wired USB gaming mouse from Logitech is a good place to start as they are designed for extended use and accuracy. Look at amazon for user reviews , go in to PC world or Harvey Normans and test for comfort , button placement etc. for example, I have the predecessor of the G500s (£56 on amazon uk) which I use for graphic design. Not too many buttons and came with weights so you can fine tune the balance and heft of the mouse to your liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

I use the mighty mouse at work everyday and its a pain when the ball stops working but there is a simple solution for this in case anyone gets the same problem.

1- Unplug 2- turn it over 3- Rub the ball part in circler and side motions against a piece of paper. This releases any debris inside that is making the ball fail.

The magic mouse has its flaws and consistently just disconnects for no obvious reason. In the end i binned the magic mouse and went back to the standard mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Use a mighty mouse with my Macbook Pro. Picked it up in Tesco of all places over Christmas for €12!! Couldn't leave it behind. If you get one, remember to configure it fully in System Preferences...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Actually, the Magic Mouse isn't bad with the right tools. There's an app called BetterTouchTool which allows any mixtures or swipes and taps with single or multiple fingers which you can assign to a keystroke, so if you really wanted a two finger swipe down for cmd-Q, you can have that.

Advertisement