Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunsmith wanted for project

Options
  • 20-03-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there, I have come up with a new breed of firearm (patent pending in the UK, USA and Europe) and am looking for a gunsmith equipped with the necessray tools to produce a .22 LR bolt-action rifle (single-shot will do). If you know anyone who might be interested please contact me via my email address <snip> .I will pay good money and can travel to the UK and anywhere in Europe on short notice. Any questions please ask.

Mod Edit: Removed email address

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

smc01 wrote: »
    Hi there, I have come up with a new breed of firearm (patent pending in the UK, USA and Europe) and am looking for a gunsmith equipped with the necessray tools to produce a .22 LR bolt-action rifle (single-shot will do). If you know anyone who might be interested please contact me via my email address .I will pay good money and can travel to the UK and anywhere in Europe on short notice. Any questions please ask.

What do you mean Are you looking for a gun smith that will allow you to use his tools to build a gun? If so you need to be qualified as a gun smith to work on any firearm component in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

valerossi wrote: »
    If so you need to be qualified as a gun smith to work on any firearm component in Ireland.

You need to be a rfd or his agent to work on any firearm component in ireland. Most of the lads building custom rifles etc are not trained gunsmiths, but came to gun work from the engineering trades.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 smc01

Hi valerossi, no i require the services of a gunsmith to build the very first prototype of the weapon. If it performs well i will then consider putting it into production one way or another. Its quite straightforward, but tests must be conducted to confirm things like accuracy and energy retention over distance.

Hi valerossi, no i require the services of a gunsmith to build the very first prototype of the weapon. If it performs well i will then consider putting it into production one way or another. Its quite straightforward, but tests must be conducted to confirm things like accuracy and energy retention over distance.

Energy retention is directly related to the projectiles aerodynamics and energy it leaves the barrel with so a .22 round can only go as far as the energy source and elements allow it hence the 22mag.
    Are you looking for barrels and actions to work with or everything from scratch?

Yes, a barrel 17-4 stainless and an action will do fine. However some minor modifications to the barrel using simple tools, must be also be made. The weapon is straightforward and can be manufactured using current firearm manufacturing technologies, however, as i said it represents a new breed of weapon.

• Advertisement

Yes, a barrel 17-4 stainless and an action will do fine. However some minor modifications to the barrel using simple tools, must be also be made. The weapon is straightforward and can be manufactured using current firearm manufacturing technologies, however, as i said it represents a new breed of weapon.

Don't think any dealer would help you build a weapon to be honest lad, is this a rifle?

I need a gunsmith not a dealer

I need a gunsmith not a dealer

As rowa has already said a registered firearms dealer will do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

A bolt action 22 is hardly a new breed of firearm..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sort of like saying the grease monkey in the garage is also a great car salesman too.:pac:
    Two different breeds,but lumped together wrongly by law here in Ireland.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

I prefer a gunsmith.

Its not really what i said, what i meant was a lot of lads who are building the custom and f-class rifles in ireland are not in fact qualified gunsmiths, but are qualified toolmakers or fitters etc. but they do need to be a registered firearms dealer. Obviously nothing wrong with their work, they win enough competitions with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

What the lads are saying is right. To work on firearms (modification, building, etc.) you must hold a Registered Firearms Dealers license. To do any work on a firearm without one is an offence and fines/imprisonment will swiftly follow if the law if not followed.

That being said i have a couple of questions.
    • What type of firearm are you considering? It seems most every configuration of .22lr chamberings have been done along with action types (single shot, bolt action, semi auto, gatling, mini, pistol, rifle, etc, etc.)
    • Will your design be legal here, the UK and other countries with much stricter firearm laws? Remember that this is not the states and most types of guns outside of bolt action/semi auto are either restricted or prohibited.
    • Is it a standard .22lr chambering/configuration or will it require a new cartridge design?
    • If you have a patent pending would it not be more effective and easier to design and build in another country and then development/distribute it from there? Ireland is not known for it's lax gun laws making such endeavors hard.
    • Ireland is one of the few countries where proofing is not law. So how would it translate to other countries where it's mandatory?

The questions above are not designed to trick you or trip you up. genuinely interested to know what you are thinking off. Without giving away any trade secrets of course.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Also Cass if the design is intended as a military weapon that opens up a whole other can of worms ? I remember when i joined engineers ireland that they had something in their code of ethics about not working on military equipment.

Military or full auto would most likely fall under the prohibited category i mentioned above.

As said i'm genuinely curious about what the OP has in his/her head, but i'm struggling to see the sense (no offence intended) in trying to start this in Ireland. Not a gun friendly nation, and definitely not for designing certain types.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

rowa wrote: »
    Also Cass if the design is intended as a military weapon that opens up a whole other can of worms ? I remember when i joined engineers ireland that they had something in their code of ethics about not working on military equipment.

Im member of engineers Ireland well it's about 25years since I done anything related to engineering but the paper is still good I think:), any idea why they don't want you at military gear. Which reminds me I must cancel that dam magazine subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Didn't know that the membership of Engineers Ireland is entirely made up of such blinkered people if they all subscribe to that code of ethics. Amazing to read that engineers would actively exclude themselves from that branch of society that has so often been the testing ground and birthplace of new or improved technologies.

Didn't know that the membership of Engineers Ireland is entirely made up of such blinkered people if they all subscribe to that code of ethics. Amazing to read that engineers would actively exclude themselves from that branch of society that has so often been the testing ground and birthplace of new or improved technologies.

And the small fact that that the biggest technological advancements came from military research. off course this could be aimed at chemical eng and design/manufacture of bio weapons. If not engineers Ireland wants you at pneumatics and writing cnc codes and that's it maybe with the odd cad and solid edge drawing.

I don't think its banned , but tightly regulated.
    Military firearms?

For civilian use they are. They are prohibited weapons (and that term is accurate). Full auto, exploding munitions, etc. are all prohibited for civilian use. If you are referring to something else or another post i apologise.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Military firearms?

For civilian use they are. They are prohibited weapons (and that term is accurate). Full auto, exploding munitions, etc. are all prohibited for civilian use. If you are referring to something else or another post i apologise.

Anything that can be used for/in a military weapon , even electronics afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

Anything can be a "weapon" if used to injure/kill from a pencil to a firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dian Cecht wrote: »
    Anything can be a "weapon" if used to injure/kill from a pencil to a firearm.
    You're confusing legal definitions with real world definitions (there are rather involved laws regarding the manufacture, import and export of munitions and similar things, and their definitions of what munitions are is even wider than the Irish legal definitions of "firearm").

Also, the words "military" and "weapon" do not appear anywhere in either Engineers Ireland's Code of Ethics or their byelaws. So where this ban on working on military projects is coming from, I don't know. Certainly I've never heard of it before.

It was something we were told more than once while in college. To be honest it didn't worry me as i cba with engineers ireland, the british equivalent is cheaper and better and you get more for your subs.
    Also timoney in meath make , or did make apv's, they are certainly military equipment.

Advertisement