Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about ziplock bag for airport security

Options
  • 20-03-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going away for the weekend tomorrow and I'm not checking in luggage so will have to have my cosmetics in a bag for security. I have a cosmetic bag that is mostly see through except for a few light pink flowers on the outside - would this be acceptable or does it have to be completely clear? I mean you can still see everything inside it. It's not a big bag (within dimensions allowed I would say) and everything I need fits in it which is why I want to use it - the ordinary sandwich bags are just too small.

Has anyone had any experience with this issue in Cork airport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm afraid they will have to come out of the cosmetics bag and go into a clear re-sealable bag.

Nothing more than 100mls and the re-sealable bag can be no more than 1ltr in capacity and max 20cmx20cm. It also has to close.

Its not just Cork, but it is enforced strictly.

Sorry to be the bearer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Andip wrote: »
    I'm afraid they will have to come out of the cosmetics bag and go into a clear re-sealable bag.

Nothing more than 100mls and the re-sealable bag can be no more than 1ltr in capacity and max 20cmx20cm. It also has to close.

Its not just Cork, but it is enforced strictly.

Sorry to be the bearer :(

Oh no are you serious?! I had a cosmetic bag before that was transparent and it went through no problem - it wasn't a light plastic ziplock bag (sandwich bag). :-( oh god I need my stuff, it won't all fit in the tiny little sandwich bag :-(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They provide the bags for free at the airport, so you can be sure you have the right size. It's only liquids that need to be put in - so only foundation, moisturiser, cleanser etc. Everything else can be left in your normal bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Depends on who you meet at the scanning machine.

I've gone through (Dublin Airport) with freezer bags bigger than the recommended size, no problem.

I've also met the scanner operator from hell (she might have been having a bad day, but I was having a worse one, but in the end it didn't end well for me, she won hands down :mad:) who remained implacable and dug her heels in and made a complete fool out of me in front of the entire queue. Now if I had been a bit nicer in the first place, who knows but.......

Long story short, if you want to be sure of getting through and not donating all your precious make-up to the Indigent Scanner Operators' Fund, only take what you can fit into a regulation bag.

(They give them out for free these days, unlike when I met my nemesis and had to go begging along the queue for a euro to buy two from the machine :D)

Thanks everyone for your input, I guess I better take them out of the cosmetic bag then. It's such a perfect size and all!

Is loose powder one of the items you have to have in the bag or is it just liquids/pastes

There are so many rules!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

LIQUIDS

That's all you have to bag.

Not sure if toothpaste counts, don't think so - but even if it does, you can just buy it in duty free or wherever you're going.

ETA

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/airport-security/FAQs.aspx

I stand corrected. Toothpaste apparently does count.

But you can still buy it in Boots after security.

Ok, might be able to fit what I need in lip lock bag so

Thanks

leahyl wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your input, I guess I better take them out of the cosmetic bag then. It's such a perfect size and all!

Is loose powder one of the items you have to have in the bag or is it just liquids/pastes

There are so many rules!

Just PM'd you as I know this subject only too well :rolleyes:

Current rulebook states:

"Containers of 100mls or less of liquids, gels, pastes, lotions and cosmetics may be brought through the passenger security screening points at all EU Airports. In addition, these items MUST be presented at the passenger security screening point in a transparent re-sealable bag of no more than one litre capacity, 20cm x 20cm. The rules apply to all liquids/gels/pastes such as water and beverages, aerosol cans and toiletries such as toothpaste, shaving cream, hair gel, lip-gloss and creams. Capacity must be clearly indicated on each container."

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭dublingirl83

There are so many rules!

far as I'm aware powder should be fine- i don't put any of my eyeshadow, eyeliner/pencils, lipstick etc in the clear bag and have been fine. probably best to use one of the official bags though, nothing worse that your make-up being dumped in bin in front of you :)

tip i always use is to go into department stores and get some free samples of the perfume you use. they are big enough to last weekend away and don't take up much space.
    get other essentials- toothpaste/ razors etc in shops when u go through security

Ok just took everything out of the cosmetic bag and put it into the ziplock bag and it actually all fits!! I thought it would be way too small but it's surprising how much you can fit in!

Thanks for all the advice guys :-)

• Advertisement

get other essentials- toothpaste/ razors etc in shops when u go through security

Bizzarely enough, EU regs state that you can take safety razors through in hand luggage as well as nail scissors and "pen knives with a blade less than 6cm".

Just cant take the toothpaste

Bizzarely enough, EU regs state that you can take safety razors through in hand luggage as well as nail scissors and "pen knives with a blade less than 6cm".

Just cant take the toothpaste

Yes, you can take tweezers too - which I would have thought was a sharp implement but apparently not!

Yes, you can take tweezers too - which I would have thought was a sharp implement but apparently not!

You see when I wrongly announced you as a 'he' Mod, rather than a 'she' mod, you didn't realise how good you had it.....us guys have no such problems lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

tis a joke with these in Cork. Sometimes they charge for the bags sometimes they don't. Must say the last few times I travelled they were free there. Then you have the one where it depends who you get. I got one girl one time and she said I had too much, it was all in one bag but nope I had to through out some nail polish. Then on other times ive had two bags which I normally take and its grand.. finkiky out they are. Hope you get it all through

Milly33 wrote: »
    tis a joke with these in Cork. Sometimes they charge for the bags sometimes they don't. Must say the last few times I travelled they were free there. Then you have the one where it depends who you get. I got one girl one time and she said I had too much, it was all in one bag but nope I had to through out some nail polish. Then on other times ive had two bags which I normally take and its grand.. finkiky out they are. Hope you get it all through

Oh for Christ's sake what does it matter if you have a lot of bottles once they all fit in the bag!! So annoying!!

You see when I wrongly announced you as a 'he' Mod, rather than a 'she' mod, you didn't realise how good you had it.....us guys have no such problems lol :D

Oh don't I know it!! You men have it so easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Faith wrote: »
    They provide the bags for free at the airport, so you can be sure you have the right size. It's only liquids that need to be put in - so only foundation, moisturiser, cleanser etc. Everything else can be left in your normal bag.

No, they don't. Not here in Cork, anyway. They charge E2 for three bags :mad:

I stock up when I go through Gatwick. They're still Buck Shee there! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No, they don't. Not here in Cork, anyway. They charge E2 for three bags :mad:

I stock up when I go through Gatwick. They're still Buck Shee there! :D

They were free the last time I passed through, in September. All laid out on a table. I know they used have them in little plastic bubbles that you had to pay for at one stage - perhaps they've brought that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I went out of Cork in January and the bags were free, they were on a big table as Faith said upstairs just before security,
    The security in Cork are a bit over the top, my OH was going to a wedding with just hand luggage a lot of makeup stuff in 2 clear bags and they said it has to be one bag so she argued until they let her through, (they were right I was to afraid to say!)
    Another time she brought a freezer type bag and they said she had to go buy the right size bag (when they charged)
    So I wouldn't use anything except their own bags from the airport!

Edit: As Milly said they sometimes like to make up their own laws like saying you have too much in 1 bag when the EU have no such rule!

I think they keep changing it. tis quite annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I went through last month, and they still had those machines which sell the bags. I didn't bother, as I tend to recycle mine, and I got a load the last time I went home, so I still have stocks!

I generally check a bag on, as I can't be arsed trying to fit everything into a little bag. I also tend to shop when I go home, and my family tend to load me up with Bajan goodies to bring back. All I have the bag for is my lippy, lip salve and hand cream. The rest goes in the hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I got one of these and it's very handy - it's transparent, resealable and comes with the essentials, deodorant, toothbrush and paste. Throw in a razor, a small bottle of mouthwash etc and sorted. It's my default travel bag - I leave it in my case, always packed and ready for screening.

612421_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

They give out the bags for free, seemly just one per passnger, and all liquids/gels, have to fit in the bag and be sealed, theres nothing as bad as when pasengers in front of you starting picking through their rucksacks for liquids.. a time and place!!!

chrysagon wrote: »
    They give out the bags for free, seemly just one per passnger, and all liquids/gels, have to fit in the bag and be sealed, theres nothing as bad as when pasengers in front of you starting picking through their rucksacks for liquids.. a time and place!!!

Well, this wasnt the case when I went through security at Cork Airport on Friday afternoon - there was a girl in front of me with one of the bags and it was wide open - it obviously wouldn't close as there was too much stuff in it! Yet the security guy let her through :confused:

Mine was fine in the end - everything fit into the ziplock bag, so no panic :pac:

Did they charge you then for the bags or where they free

yes, they use to charge a Euro, now just ask security and they will give you a bag, but as a regular commuter, EU airports seem to play by different rules,some very slcak, some more rigid, like Dublin, Frankfurt

it is annoying they way they kinda pick and choose with the charging or ne charging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Flew from Cork to Heathrow, Schiphol, Paris and Edinburgh (all return) in the last year. Cork are the worst! Stupid, stupid man insisting I using HIS bag instead of a small freezer bag.

I asked about this in each of the other airports and they laughed at me.

It's no wonder the place is so quiet if they all have that attitude.

I had a friend who worked in the Irish airport security not long ago, and she told me they were always under tight scrutiny from the Aviation authority, in relation to EU rules been enforced, maybe the EU need to rethink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I flew out of cork airport on the 16th of March and the bags were free. Before you queue up there's a table with a box with the bags in it. There was a lot of bags.

Advertisement