Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrona Underwriting

• 20-03-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Currently my car insurance is under renewal, so I went around the market to check what options would be available for me. The best, by far, is Patrona Underwriting.

Anyone has some feedback about this company?
    Also, could somebody clarify what underwriting practically means?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Its not worth explaining as the terms is too broad. In this instance it only refers to the name of the company - it has no practical meaning.

However what Patrona are is an underwriting agent. So they aren't a true insurance company like Zurich, or Allianz. Patrona do not underwrite their own policies. They are a company that would have an agency with a Lloyd's syndicate that do motor. So you could go with Patrona and they could find themselves without an insurer/underwriter to back them next year.

However they are an off-shoot of another company who have been very successful in this regard so they should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EPR053

You always need to check your insurance policy and the details with your broker.
    In light of recent news you especially need to check where cover is placed and how the insurer is regulated and in what country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

peteb2 wrote: »
    Its not worth explaining as the terms is too broad. In this instance it only refers to the name of the company - it has no practical meaning.

However what Patrona are is an underwriting agent. So they aren't a true insurance company like Zurich, or Allianz. Patrona do not underwrite their own policies. They are a company that would have an agency with a Lloyd's syndicate that do motor. So you could go with Patrona and they could find themselves without an insurer/underwriter to back them next year.

However they are an off-shoot of another company who have been very successful in this regard so they should be ok.

Which company are they an offshoot of please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Tony Wright is the CEO of Patrona Underwriting. He founded Wrightway Underwriting around 15 years ago but sold his interest in it to concentrate on his other businesses. Wrightway was subsequently sold to Zurich. Tony also operates Wright Insurance Brokers in Wexford

I'll declare an association with this Group

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JoeThing

Which company are they an offshoot of please?

Mike Matthews who started Setanta insurance is involved with Patrona if that is any help.

• Advertisement

Its strange that you have only joined this month and the only two posts you made refer to Mike Matthews being involved with Patrona.

Maybe you would like to elaborate on what exactly he has to do with Patrona? Because he had set up Sevitt Consulting Ltd and doesnt appear to have gone anywhere else since.

It's also probably important to point out that he quit Setanta 3 years so not really sure what you are alluding here. On that basis I'm calling shennanigans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

has anyone got insured with them since? I'm still thinking about it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Same question guys... has anyone used Petrona? My insurance is up for renewal, and they are the cheapest by about 10%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

The email response is they do not take in new quotes as of now. Are they bankrupt?

Anita M. wrote: »
    The email response is they do not take in new quotes as of now. Are they bankrupt?

Bit of a reach. you possibly misinterpreted the the response. They dont deal direct with the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Insuremyhouse.ie seems to be associated with Patrona and they seem to be quoting a good bit less than the competition. Anyone have any experience with insuremyhouse.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paulm1975

Hi all.

In my opinion Petrona insurance are the worst insurance company in the irish market. I am insured with them and made a small claim 8 weeks ago which still hasn't been paid.

Firstly we eventually agreed a lower payment than it cost us because the company wouldn't agree a market rate. Then there has been delay after delay in processing a payment despite the fact that it was supposed to be paid 3 weeks ago. This is still not paid and the latest excuse is that they didn't want to process payment near the month end. It is the 17th of the month!!

Still no joy and no payment. I will never purchase insurance from them again and strongly recommend that no one else does either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

paulm1975 wrote: »
    Hi all.

In my opinion Petrona insurance are the worst insurance company in the irish market. I am insured with them and made a small claim 8 weeks ago which still hasn't been paid.

Firstly we eventually agreed a lower payment than it cost us because the company wouldn't agree a market rate. Then there has been delay after delay in processing a payment despite the fact that it was supposed to be paid 3 weeks ago. This is still not paid and the latest excuse is that they didn't want to process payment near the month end. It is the 17th of the month!!

Still no joy and no payment. I will never purchase insurance from them again and strongly recommend that no one else does either

If the claim has been agreed and settled the insurer is obliged to issue cheque within 10 working days as far as I know. Beyond that is grounds for a complaint.

Advertisement