Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"hero" student finds toddler wandering the streets

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Happened about six years ago in the UK.

Two-year old was found drowned in a shallow garden pond after straying out of a creche.

Turns out a passing motorist had seen the child but was afraid to do anything in case he was branded a paedophile.
    The fact the child wandered from a creche suggests it was daytime. It may not sound like it but theres a huge difference. Most creches are in busy enough areas. Some study/experiment was with some actor pretending to be in harm or collapsed or something, on a busy street, like in london or new york, nobody went to his aid for ages, many presume someone else would. While the same study done on an empty street and pretty much everybody came to his aid.

I would have been the same, I was saying previously I saw a child in a carpark, it was very busy. I was afraid if I went to hold the childs hand a angry father would think I was taking him away. Rather than admit blame himself for being irresponsible he might just throw it all at me. Also in a busy carpark a small child is harder to see. There were loads of people around, I tried to get 2 others to take care of him, an older lady and a shop manager, both of whom I would think would have realised it would be more suitable if a parent was to discover the child with them. Neither really helped. The child still wandered around and I sort of ushered him back into people, away from cars, but I was not going to grab his hand.

Now if this was at night time in the car park I would have held his hand and been more confident that no parent would come up. Also in hindsight in the day time I should have started shouting out "lost child, there's a lost child here" or something, which would not only have alerted the parent, but also someone who may have copped on it would be more appropriate for them to take care of them, e.g. a woman with kids of her own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

rubadub wrote: »
    The fact the child wandered from a creche suggests it was daytime. It may not sound like it but theres a huge difference. Most creches are in busy enough areas. Some study/experiment was with some actor pretending to be in harm or collapsed or something, on a busy street, like in london or new york, nobody went to his aid for ages, many presume someone else would. While the same study done on an empty street and pretty much everybody came to his aid.

I would have been the same, I was saying previously I saw a child in a carpark, it was very busy. I was afraid if I went to hold the childs hand a angry father would think I was taking him away. Rather than admit blame himself for being irresponsible he might just throw it all at me. Also in a busy carpark a small child is harder to see. There were loads of people around, I tried to get 2 others to take care of him, an older lady and a shop manager, both of whom I would think would have realised it would be more suitable if a parent was to discover the child with them. Neither really helped. The child still wandered around and I sort of ushered him back into people, away from cars, but I was not going to grab his hand.

Now if this was at night time in the car park I would have held his hand and been more confident that no parent would come up. Also in hindsight in the day time I should have started shouting out "lost child, there's a lost child here" or something, which would not only have alerted the parent, but also someone who may have copped on it would be more appropriate for them to take care of them, e.g. a woman with kids of her own.

I had a not too dissimilar experience twice, about 5 years ago. I didn't go near the child - no sane man would. Not a hope in hell of it. I did draw some women's attention to them on both occasions after a few minutes of waiting to see if anything would happen. Thankfully on neither occasion did anything bad happen.

Advertisement