Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict house infesting mine!!

Options
  • 21-03-2014 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I don't even know where to start but here goes.

I bought my house full out no mortgage last year. Cost me €30k and put €20k into it to renovate the whole thing, everything new inside from wiring to plumbing to walls etc. Thought I got a bargin and I believe i did. Its an end of terrace house in a good part of town and I'll be keeping it once I am ready for the commitment of a mortgage, to rent.

Three doors down there is a cottage. It has been vacant for 25 years plus and is falling down inside- you can look in the window and see this for yourself, when it rains like the rain we've been having, water flows out the front door. The path is green from it, just outside this property. The person that owned it up and left and moved to a new one- everything from the TV to the couch, pictures etc are there. There is even a lovely basket full to the brim of mouldy sea shells and spiders and mouse poo on the window sill- if thats what you would call it. i would add pics but dont want to violate any rules etc

I am in the end of terrace so there is two between me and it. They are rentals however, I'm in mine. I have asked the landlord over the past year, why people are always coming and going there but its because of mice they say.

The noise is unbearable at night. Scratching is like a dog is digging a hole down through the ceiling to me and this can be frightening (yes I'm a girl- but a determined one!). So can anyone enlighten me as to what I am to do. I have gone to the town council, public reps on the council etc and nowhere. Now I know why. The owner works there and is fairly high up and i have been informed that my emails never reach the intended person. I have emailed at least 12 times over this and written four times.

I know the Derelict Act 1990 is there but I can't have this enforced myself and i doubt the council will start fining one of their own 3% of the property's market value. There is a man who comes to the property at about 6am once a month or every two months, forces the door in, stays for literally twenty minutes and goes again. I only know this as my neighbour works shift hours and has seen him. He has tried to confront him but the guy says he is collecting post?! Nothing goes through the letter box. I have tried to shove poison in there to kill these beasts on site.

This was supposed to be a good investment for me and my future- I'm 26 and quite lucky to be in this position. The house is stunning now and I have had it valued to more than double what I paid but how can I rent it out with this issue. I was quoted €500pm for rent and next door gets €320pm because of the issue (she has lowered rent to keep people there). Shes not from the area so she didnt know who to complain to and just let her tenants put up with it which isnt fair.

Whats really killing me is that i have a 1 year old son who obviously cannot continue living in this environment.

Just to note. I've had rentokill out the bones of 11 times this year between everything. Rats and Mice 20 different sizes have come out of the place both in live traps and dead. Its gone to the point where I have put aside a half hour a week to lay poison and reset traps.

I know that they are in the cavity wall so I have started to save to get that insulated- spent a good bit doing the attic but it all had to come up to try and get to the root of this problem.

Previous owner never lived in the house and bought it when times were good- they paid €110,000. They just wanted to cut their losses and sell on.

I'm so frustrated over the whole thing and can't even tell my friends because i don't want them to think i live with rats and mice running around me.

Can anyone out there offer some advice before i lose my mind or start re-homing rats in the council yard.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Have you actually got mice? If not, I'd invest in one of those ultra sound plug-in repellents. They're great for keeping the critters out. But will only work if you're rodent-free. If you're already infested?

Then I'd be getting on to the Environmental Health team at your local council. Surely they must be able to help as this is now a Health and Safety matter.

It's also local election time - right? Start making a nuisance of yourself with the local councillors - let them start earning their corn for once.

Hope you get it sorted. Must be a nightmare having this and not being able to let the baby out in the garden...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Its the worst ever! I've one of those plugs in every room in the house especially the attic.

Had one to my door today and marched him down to it. Said he would have my vote and more (my family are mad to help to get this sorted for me) and he said he'll get on it.

Ive written letters to all the offices i can in at local council level and none have replied. :(

Thanks for the reply.

I'd get on to the local TD then. Tell them it's now a serious health issue and you've had no joy with the council. Take copies of the correspondence to show him too. I'd also be telling him WHY the council are slow to deal...

And the plugs don't work if you've already got visitors!

I'd get on to the local TD then. Tell them it's now a serious health issue and you've had no joy with the council. I'd also be telling him WHY the council are slow to deal...

its my only option left I'd say!! I really wanted this investment to work out especially for my son!

Too good to be true!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

So your basically saying that they are coming from this old house to yours?Getting cats (A lot of them) around the place would definitely help, don't feed them though and they will be better at hunting them. Never thought mice would take refuge in a derelict house.

• Advertisement

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    So your basically saying that they are coming from this old house to yours?Getting cats (A lot of them) around the place would definitely help, don't feed them though and they will be better at hunting them. Never thought mice would take refuge in a derelict house.

i didnt either to be honest. The houses themselves are built on the foundations of old cottages which were knocked. This house was built in the 80s but my fireplace was built in the 30s. To be god honest, we actually dont know where they are coming from only that it is from that direction and the houses closer to it are having bigger issues than me. The rats on the other hand you can see in the house by looking through the window. As stupid as this sounds, i honestly didnt even think both rats and mice could live together- i thought rats would kill them.

I hate cats so not planning on getting one!!

What I would love to know is if i could find out who actually owns the house, like if its really the name I have. I'm 90% sure it is but i want to see it for myself.

I also am trying to not go down the legal route are funds are fairly tight now to be messing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I'm not sure there's a lot your TD can do. The house might be in vacant possession or tied up in an intestate will. I'd get cats, I know you don't like them but...

No need to go down the legal route in relation to solicitors etc but if you got a good guard they would help you no end

If it comes down to a cat, I'll get one, but would it need to be feral enough to actually hunt the yokes down before they comes into the house? haha you can see I've never owned a pet!!!

Would Guards be able to help?

I think what I need if possible is someone to search the land registry for me or register of deeds.

all I think about it the amount of people that would love a house especially on the council list if it was done up and that and yer one let it go into such bad repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Ok, here's a practical solution. As mad as this sounds, if you can get your hands on some ferret sh1te,(yes, you read correctly) throw it around the place. The mice and rats will take off like rockets.
    Another solution, a not very nice one but I'm assured by a farmer friend that it works. Trap a live rat in a cage or similar trap. Pour petrol over it and set it alight. It's screams will get rid of the rest of them..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Terriers are arguably better ratters, you might prefer one of those?

zef wrote: »
    Terriers are arguably better ratters, you might prefer one of those?

Jack Russells I'v heard?

pablo128 wrote: »
    Ok, here's a practical solution. As mad as this sounds, if you can get your hands on some ferret sh1te,(yes, you read correctly) throw it around the place. The mice and rats will take off like rockets.
    Another solution, a not very nice one but I'm assured by a farmer friend that it works. Trap a live rat in a cage or similar trap. Pour petrol over it and set it alight. It's screams will get rid of the rest of them..

Heard the one about the barrell, i heard boiling hot water however

I have heard this alright!!! Does this actually 100% work as it happens the auld fella across the road hunts with them and has offered once he heard my problem.

He told me that he has wanted to put a ferret in the door of this place for years but is afraid it wont come back. I've also heard their pee is supposed to do the trick. Just hope it doesnt smell.

I would stake the feckers out but these yokes are massive- havent had one now in about a week but can still hear the odd scratching.

I heard around April is breeding season so you can imagine the stress with an infant!!

I don't think I could set it on fire.

any man worth his salt in the area will

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    any man worth his salt in the area will

Haha thanks a mill!! Havent laughed about this in a long time! I'll ask around! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh my god, you poor thing. My idea of pure hell. The only reason I have a cat.

The only thing I can think of is your public health nurse, she might be able to suggest some dept. in the HSE that can do something.

The thing is, if you were a business the council would be out to you asap.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Oh my god, you poor thing. My idea of pure hell. The only reason I have a cat.

The only thing I can think of is your public health nurse, she might be able to suggest some dept. in the HSE that can do something.

The thing is, if you were a business the council would be out to you asap.[/QUOTE?]

So true! I didn't even think of asking her actually. Just seems like all my hard work has gone to waste.

I just wonder could they be travelling.in the cavity wall. That's more or less my last option.

Very likely. I'd get Rentokil out to check. I'd also be getting an electrician to check your wiring in case the little bastards have chewed through it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

What town are you living in pinky charm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Get a ferret, find a breeder and get him to come around with a couple until the place is clear.

That setting fire to a rat thing is one of the most horrible things I have ever heard. Even if I woke up with rats in the bed I wouldn't resort to that.

Get the email addresses of your local councillors OP and mail them everyday until this is resolved. You will resolve this, hang in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

And get onto your local residents association, they can have huge influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

That setting fire to a rat thing is one of the most horrible things I have ever heard. Even if I woke up with rats in the bed I wouldn't resort to that....
    I agree.

OP, you believe that your local authority might be slow to act because the owner of the property has the inside track and is using it. Obviously, that is a belief, and you don't really know what has happened to your letters and emails.

We actually have an agency for dealing with situations like yours: the Ombudsman. I trust that you have records of the letters and emails you sent. Now take yourself to https://www.ombudsman.gov.ie/en/ and escalate your complaint.

I agree.

OP, you believe that your local authority might be slow to act because the owner of the property has the inside track and is using it. Obviously, that is a belief, and you don't really know what has happened to your letters and emails.

We actually have an agency for dealing with situations like yours: the Ombudsman. I trust that you have records of the letters and emails you sent. Now take yourself to https://www.ombudsman.gov.ie/en/ and escalate your complaint.

Great idea! I didn't know there was an Ombudsman system here in Ireland, being English.

I also like the idea of involving the public health nurse, as you have a baby OP.

I still think approaching the TD would be an idea too, showing them the correspondence you've written to date.

I'd be attacking this from all angles now. Make a real nuisance of yourself!

I'd be interested to know the outcome. Would you be able to keep us posted? This thread would be a real help to those in similar situations..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Why not just take possession of the house?

If it is truly abandoned who is going to argue? Nobody is taking responsibility.

Get mail sent to that address and use it as a tool shed.

It may take years to finally file but you can deal with the pest problem and have increased your property size.

It would be interesting to see if you paid property tax on it would that help your case for ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I'm not sure there's a lot your TD can do. The house might be in vacant possession or tied up in an intestate will. I'd get cats, I know you don't like them but...

...but I'm sure you like rats and mice a lot less than you dislike cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Why not just take possession of the house?

If it is truly abandoned who is going to argue? Nobody is taking responsibility.
    This is actually a great idea! Or offer to buy the house for €500.00?

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    Three doors down there is a cottage.

The OP lives three doors away.

• Advertisement

The OP lives three doors away.

When people say OP on boards what does it mean?

Advertisement