Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict house infesting mine!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    When people say OP on boards what does it mean?

Original poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

So update on the situation, what was the extension of this house fell last night according to the person living beside it and brought down some of their boundary wall. Now they are up in arms as to what to do because they think an army of whatever is there is going to come in on top of us all now. I havent actually seen this yet so will be investigating today just to see if its true. He wants to set the place on fire.

Contacted land registry this morning, they said that it was a conveyance dated December 1999 from X to Y and another. Please note that the original deed was returned to the lodging party, all we have here is an application form with the barest of detail but should include the lodging solicitor. He also gave me a serial number under which it was registered.

Anyone know how to proceed with this?

Bottom of email states please find out guide for register of deeds but I dont know where to begin with that.

D Trent wrote: »
    What town are you living in pinky charm ?

Nenagh

I agree.

OP, you believe that your local authority might be slow to act because the owner of the property has the inside track and is using it. Obviously, that is a belief, and you don't really know what has happened to your letters and emails.

We actually have an agency for dealing with situations like yours: the Ombudsman. I trust that you have records of the letters and emails you sent. Now take yourself to https://www.ombudsman.gov.ie/en/ and escalate your complaint.

THANK YOU!!!

the_syco wrote: »
    This is actually a great idea! Or offer to buy the house for €500.00?

I would 100% do this because the site would be worth 100 times that done up properly. Then I could tackle the problem myself.

I think I'll post ye up pics this evening and let ye see, i'll do it so they don't identify the house etc

• Advertisement

Great idea! I didn't know there was an Ombudsman system here in Ireland, being English.

I also like the idea of involving the public health nurse, as you have a baby OP.

I still think approaching the TD would be an idea too, showing them the correspondence you've written to date.

I'd be attacking this from all angles now. Make a real nuisance of yourself!

I'd be interested to know the outcome. Would you be able to keep us posted? This thread would be a real help to those in similar situations..

I will keep ye posted!!

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Why not just take possession of the house?

If it is truly abandoned who is going to argue? Nobody is taking responsibility.

Get mail sent to that address and use it as a tool shed.

It may take years to finally file but you can deal with the pest problem and have increased your property size.

It would be interesting to see if you paid property tax on it would that help your case for ownership.

I would have no issue doing this, believe me! I would do anything to get this dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

pablo128 wrote: »
    Ok, here's a practical solution. As mad as this sounds, if you can get your hands on some ferret sh1te,(yes, you read correctly) throw it around the place. The mice and rats will take off like rockets.
    Another solution, a not very nice one but I'm assured by a farmer friend that it works. Trap a live rat in a cage or similar trap. Pour petrol over it and set it alight. It's screams will get rid of the rest of them..

Jesus!

I had a little visitor recently, naturally we had to get rid of him so bought a trap. Narrowed down where he was hanging out and placed it there.

First he took the cheese without setting it off, clever. Then SNAP, finally got him.

Felt guilty when I saw him.

Dunno how somebody could light one on fire, even a rat.

KungPao wrote: »
    Jesus!

I had a little visitor recently, naturally we had to get rid of him so bought a trap. Narrowed down where he was hanging out and placed it there.

First he took the cheese without setting it off, clever. Then SNAP, finally got him.

Felt guilty when I saw him.

Dunno how somebody could light one on fire, even a rat.

As much as I hate rats I couldn't do it. Just coz someone didn't like my dog I wouldn't want them to set it on fire.

I invested in those sticky pads but had to order them in from the north. Have released 8 mice safely by the river using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The OP lives three doors away.

A garage and workshop three doors away is still pretty good for very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    As much as I hate rats I couldn't do it. Just coz someone didn't like my dog I wouldn't want them to set it on fire.

I invested in those sticky pads but had to order them in from the north. Have released 8 mice safely by the river using them.

Plus it is illegal to torture animals and that is exactly what that is. A completely disgusting suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Craven99

OK - I know it has been mentioned before but I must make some observations:

(I know you do not want cats) Its a complete fiction that starving a cat will make it a better mouse hunter. Never starve a cat. They can get a thing called fatty liver disease EVEN if they go without food for just 24 hours. Cats are natural hunters and a healthier animal will catch more mice. In saying that not all cats instinctively catch mice - they can grow out of it.

Do I even need to mention how repugnant it is to burn a live animal alive? Or how illegal it is and another complete myth!

I think glue boards are a cruel way to deal with the animals unless you clear them every day and destroy the rodents immediately. Leaving them to die of starvation is an ugly way to go.

Best of luck to getting it sorted!

Craven99 wrote: »
    OK - I know it has been mentioned before but I must make some observations:

(I know you do not want cats) Its a complete fiction that starving a cat will make it a better mouse hunter. Never starve a cat. They can get a thing called fatty liver disease EVEN if they go without food for just 24 hours. Cats are natural hunters and a healthier animal will catch more mice. In saying that not all cats instinctively catch mice - they can grow out of it.

Do I even need to mention how repugnant it is to burn a live animal alive? Or how illegal it is and another complete myth!

I think glue boards are a cruel way to deal with the animals unless you clear them every day and destroy the rodents immediately. Leaving them to die of starvation is an ugly way to go.

Best of luck to getting it sorted!

Thanks, the glue pads I bought are the ones where I can release the mouse by putting olive oil on the pad so he can get himself free. I would never torture an animal and I have researched them because the last thing I want is to pull loads of dead animals through my house. That's why I've live cages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

pablo128 wrote: »
    Pour petrol over it and set it alight. It's screams will get rid of the rest of them..

You have issues, that sounds like something Jeffery Dahmer would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Thanks, the glue pads I bought are the ones where I can release the mouse by putting olive oil on the pad so he can get himself free. I would never torture an animal and I have researched them because the last thing I want is to pull loads of dead animals through my house. That's why I've live cages.

I might well get slated for this comment but with as big a problem as you've outlined going on, I'd be picking traps that killed the rats and mice. Catch and release isn't going to get rid of them.
    If you're happy enough to set poison down and that will kill them why not opt for traps that will kill both too.

Setting anything on fire while its alive is thoroughly disgusting and I'd never ever do that.

Fair play to you - I'm not sure I'd be as tolerant as you with that infestation.

Hope all works out ok

I might well get slated for this comment but with as big a problem as you've outlined going on, I'd be picking traps that killed the rats and mice. Catch and release isn't going to get rid of them.
    If you're happy enough to set poison down and that will kill them why not opt for traps that will kill both too.

Setting anything on fire while its alive is thoroughly disgusting and I'd never ever do that.

Or indeed catch them live (or dead) and bring them to their owner!

"Here you go - I believe these are yours"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

my novice understanding is that you don't get mice and rats together. The rats would eat the mice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

my novice understanding is that you don't get mice and rats together. The rats would eat the mice

That was mine too but maybe they've decided to share the accomodation this time. :) Either way its a totally unacceptable sitation for the OP to be living in.

Advertisement