Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

starting off

• 21-03-2014 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi all
    ive made it my plan to hit de gym dis summer to try bulk up some what. Im a lightish build of a chap nd was just wondering do ye have any tips for people like me starting off weight lifting etc? total nube :) (should i consider protein nd de likes?)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

And* the*... and the rest

Fix your spelling it's annoying to read.

You don't need protein supplements. Creatine would be the only one I'd consider from a purely muscle perspective.

Fix your diet I can nearly guarantee it's not as good as you probably think it is. Read up on nutrition. The stickies in the fitness forum are a good place to start. You want to be getting in a decent amount of protein for growth.

Also follow a set program and don't just do a bro split you saw on some mens health magazine, They're terrible for the most part. Don't believe any of the 6 pack in 6 weeks program. There's a new one out every month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Cotts72

There'd be no harm in getting in contact with a personal trainer either independent or in the gym your joining, they can set you up with a nutritional plan and a gym programme to follow! If your new to it all then that's probably your best start. Diet is essential to any plan you have

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Diet is detrimental to any plan you have

What? I'm guesing you mean essential... Detrimental implies only negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Blacktie. wrote: »
    And* the*... and the rest

Fix your spelling it's annoying to read.

You don't need protein supplements. Creatine would be the only one I'd consider from a purely muscle perspective.

Fix your diet I can nearly guarantee it's not as good as you probably think it is. Read up on nutrition. The stickies in the fitness forum are a good place to start. You want to be getting in a decent amount of protein for growth.

Also follow a set program and don't just do a bro split you saw on some mens health magazine, They're terrible for the most part. Don't believe any of the 6 pack in 6 weeks program. There's a new one out every month.

The problem with lot of folk's diets are that they're not getting enough protein. If he's to increase his protein intake, a protein supplement is the best way of getting extra protein in IMO (cheaper than meat, easier to plan, etc.)

Agree about the spelling though.

davyjose wrote: »
    The problem with lot of folk's diets are that they're not getting enough protein. If he's to increase his protein intake, a protein supplement is the best way of getting extra protein in IMO (cheaper than meat, easier to plan, etc.)

Agree about the spelling though.

Not the only major issue with most peoples diet if you ask me but yes lack of protein is a big one. I disagree about the shake though. It's very easy to up you're meat intake to get in enough protein. Especially when studies show you only need 0.8g/lb or there abouts. It will also increase nutrients gained and will generally force you to re think the rest of your diet. Protein shakes shouldn't be a fix all solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The problem with a lot of diets isn't a lack of protein. It's a lack of a decent diet. A lack of eating the right foods. No matter what you eat, throwing a protein shake down your neck won't make much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fitness factor

The problem with a lot of diets isn't a lack of protein. It's a lack of a decent diet. A lack of eating the right foods. No matter what you eat, throwing a protein shake down your neck won't make much of a difference.

Correct. And anyway supplements are by definition only an addition - the name itself says so :).

Magic pills do not exist.

Supplements help but we need to work hard to achieve our goals. Still this is what makes it worth I suppose.

Look at those famous people with liposuction, botox and back side implants ;).

Just grab your gear and go for it, be it in the gym or outdoor. Only we can make it happen.

Best luck to you all lads and lasses.

Advertisement