Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP security concern

Options
  • 21-03-2014 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi 
    I was wondering has BOI ensured that all of its banking systems have migrated away from windows XP. The reason I ask is that as of early April it falls out of Microsoft support. All security people around the world are highlighting how this could be an ideal time for hackers and criminals to work together to exploit an OS that is no longer supported.
    As a customer I am worried that my data could be at risk via some form of data breach or worse some exploit is used to gain access to finance data. 
    Granted this is worse case, but it would be nice to know that BOI have carried out a full risk assessment across the organisation and also have a plan in place in the event that a serious flaw in XP is exploited after April. Not asking for details on it :-) just the reassurance that the above has indeed been done. Then again it may not be necessary as BOI may already have migrated away from XP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi northwestramble,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards. 

Bank of Ireland is aware of the Microsoft planned changes and for some time has applied appropriate controls to mitigate this risk. Please be assured that we do not anticipate any issues arising post April 8th.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭northwestramble

Hi Sarah
    That is great news, nice to hear BOI have fully planned for this and that our personal data and ability to bank will not be at any risk from any future XP exploit. 

Advertisement