Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go next for my Regional Work?

Options
  • 21-03-2014 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey guys, hope you can help me out in some way with this dilemma.

So I've been in a Working Hostel in Griffith, NSW for just over a month now. I've had work here for most of that period but unfortunately the season is now coming to an end here and the work is drying up so it looks like I'll have to move on to somewhere else. But where? I'm totally clueless as to where to go. I'm looking to be pointed in the right direction.

So if anyone knows of a region where there will be regional work starting in April and continuing for a few months, I would appreciate it if you could post on here. Also, if you are currently in a region where there's likely to be work for the next few months that's eligible for 2nd Year Visa please post on here too.

Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

all of South Australia I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TheDalioLama

I'm in the same boat as the OP.

Have 3 or 4 possible destinations to go to but have heard differing reports on pay/conditions!

Any leads on full time work with decent or better hourly rate would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Musicaddict1

I'm in the same boat as the OP.

Have 3 or 4 possible destinations to go to but have heard differing reports on pay/conditions!

Any leads on full time work with decent or better hourly rate would be much appreciated!

What areas were you looking at? Where are you based at the moment? I stayed on in Griffith for another month after my original posting and could only get 42 days signed off. I'm now back in Sydney for the last two weeks and the funds are starting to go down pretty quickly so I need to get something sorted very soon. How many days have you done so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Just finished a couple months banana work in Tully - 2 hours south of cairns.

The work is year round and I think should be high season soon so plenty work available, I got a job within an hour of arriving in tully. Money's reasonable at $20/hr in most places too.

The work itself is very very hard though, very physically demanding and often terribly boring, and you'll encounter a lot of rats, snakes, spiders, huge cane toads and a lot of other wildlife!

There's loads of different roles you could end up doing, for men the main jobs are:

Humping- which is running around paddocks from trees to a trailer while carrying 50-80kg bunches of bananas on your shoulder.

Bagging- putting bags over young bunches of bananas - this is done either on a teleporter like machine or by running around with a ladder.

Hanging - using a compressed air crane to lift the bunches off a trailer to get them ready for processing

For women:

Sorting and clustering - cutting down hands of fruit and throwing away bad ones

Packing - as it says on the tin

Stringing - tying banana trees together to stop them falling over from the weight of the mature bunches.

This is just some of the jobs you could be doing there are lots of others too.

Accomodation: 2 hostels (both have bars and one has a bit of a nite club) and a caravan park that has units and dorms and there are a lot of share houses available.

The only place to do shopping is a supa iga, it's a good bit more expensive than a coles or woollies though there is a woollies in mission beach which is about 25 mins drive away.

Another point to note is that tully is the wettest town in australia, so it rains a lot and is very humid.

Injuries and illness is fairly common due to the nature of the work, climate, wildlife and nightlife

What areas were you looking at? Where are you based at the moment? I stayed on in Griffith for another month after my original posting and could only get 42 days signed off. I'm now back in Sydney for the last two weeks and the funds are starting to go down pretty quickly so I need to get something sorted very soon. How many days have you done so far?

Sorry for late reply. I'm now two weeks into my regional in Western Queensland! I signed up with agworkforce and they gave me a ring about 10 days later and offered a job with free accom, meals and decent hourly rate. Would definitely recommend them! I moved from Melbourne. Any luck yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Sorry for late reply. I'm now two weeks into my regional in Western Queensland! I signed up with agworkforce and they gave me a ring about 10 days later and offered a job with free accom, meals and decent hourly rate. Would definitely recommend them! I moved from Melbourne. Any luck yourself?

What kind of work are you doing? How did you manage to get free accomodation? I'm in Melbourne currently but looking to get my Regional work done somewhere. Would you recommend signing up with Agworkforce?

CM24 wrote: »
    What kind of work are you doing? How did you manage to get free accomodation? I'm in Melbourne currently but looking to get my Regional work done somewhere. Would you recommend signing up with Agworkforce?

It's admin work for a waste management company. The location is very rural so social life is pretty much non-existent! Alot of companies offer free accom as an incentive to get workers to come out/stay out. The recruiter from agworkforce just emailed me the conditions. I'd definitely recommend signing up with them- they'll ask for you to fill out details e.g. are you willing to be placed anywhere in Aus, are you on your own or in a group, previous experience, etc and find a suitable placement based on the info you provide. I think there's a better chance of getting something with good conditions if you're a solo traveller and willing to relocate anywhere. Can't hurt to sign up with them- it's free and you can always turn down whatever offer comes back if not happy!

Advertisement